Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Dargo

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:15 pm
...This forum seems behind in technology, which is unfortunate.
Reminds me of people having to know HTML code to construct a website and that's been a while.
Gives me warm and fuzzy memories of DOS...
Yep, I also got this impression after my move here as well, jimi.

(...but ya gotta work with what ya have, right?!)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I have to agree with someone pointing two pistols at my "boiler." My baby bump.
I complain not about the forum, but this bickering is getting on my nerves.
I'm two shakes of a lamb's tail from registering a complaint.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:15 pm . . . I don't think anyone can expect the phpBB people to step in and fix/update anything.
We are lucky to have Lomm. :smiley_worship:
This forum seems behind in technology, which is unfortunate.
Reminds me of people having to know HTML code to construct a website and that's been a while.
I entirely agree.

But, contrary to the attitudes held by some timorous SSO members, I don't see any harm in -- or anything wrong with -- asking for improvements.

According to phpBB administrators, a Like button is "not a standard feature of phpBB." Yet, some phpBB forum admins and members want the button. Ignoring your customers does not makes you popular and is poor business sense, IMO.

Yes, phpBB software is antiquated. But, It Is What It Is. Folks who are frustrated by its shortcomings and who don't like it will scram to other forums. I know HTML (which cannot be used on phpBB forums, but a grasp of HTML is helpful for comprehending BBCode), so I'm comfortable with the code used on the SSO.

I have MAJOR respect for Lomm. I've expressed several times that I totally get that the "weight of the world," forum-wise, rests on his shoulders. As another SSO moderator (I think it was movieman1957) put it, without Lomm, there would be no SSO.

All I ask of Lomm . . . well, okay, maybe not all I'll ask of him . . . is that he be straight and up front with me, at least. I greatly appreciated that he admitted that he really does not want to create a Like button. He assures that he'll get to it when he has "some free time."

Call me cynical. Call me skeptical. Call me disrespectful. Call me, Madam . . . if you look like this . . .

But, I'm inclined to believe that, where a Like button is concerned, Lomm will never have free time.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:41 pm I complain not about the forum, but this bickering is getting on my nerves.
I'm two shakes of a lamb's tail from registering a complaint.
I don't understand this attitude.

jimimac71, you're in a public forum, comprised of many different types of people who have many different temperaments.

IMO, people who are easily upset by heated cybesrpace arguments should not be on "social media." I cannot help but wonder how such delicate, hypersensitive creampuffs function in The Real World.

If you're bugged by the tiff between laffite and me, don't read it or, if you must read it, ignore it. At the very least, don't participate in it. I don't know why you felt compelled to get involved in it in the first place.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

There is no way for me to know this is just between you and laffite.
This is not social media in my opinion.
There are rules in this public forum.
Now you've resorted to degrading me.
You respect Lomm, but in essence are calling him a liar.
Maybe a cleaner attitude could get you elevated Admin privileges to make the Like Button a reality.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The occasional resurgence of this thread will finally stop when Lomm has time to install the like button. He's going to do it, and when he does, there will be no need for this thread to resurface.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:06 pm
laffite wrote: February 15th, 2023, 2:59 pm Honest, Millstain, this is so lame . . .
I don't believe this! The little person's guide to wit? We said this when we were KIDS. And you say this NOW. OMG, this is just too good. This is what we say when we cannot think of anything else to say. "I know you are but what am I?" Your idle, S.J. Perelman would be ashamed of you.
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

It's a hoot that Millstrang would even want a LIKE button. He doesn't like anybody. He once said to someone, "You are one of the few people I like." So Why a Like button? Next he'll be polling for a HATE button. That would at least suit him. He has said that he HATES me. Is that what you said, Millie? Or did you say DISLIKE? Nah, you're not good diminutives.
Mona
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:01 pm It's a hoot that Millstrang would even want a LIKE button. He doesn't like anybody. He once said to someone, "You are one of the few people I like." So Why a Like button? Next he'll be polling for a HATE button. That would at least suit him. He has said that he HATES me. Is that what you said, Millie? Or did you say DISLIKE? Nah, you're not good diminutives.
To change the subject ever so slightly, Laffite, I recently read that Jean Laffite was born to Sephardic Jewish parents, though the place of his birth has been disputed. I find that fascinating!

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well, I created a post and lost it. I hate that.
I wanted to pass this along:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2635986
It isn't a :smilie_happy_thumbup: button fix, but might add some more enjoyable features.
My 2¢ worth.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:16 pm
laffite wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:01 pm It's a hoot that Millstrang would even want a LIKE button. He doesn't like anybody. He once said to someone, "You are one of the few people I like." So Why a Like button? Next he'll be polling for a HATE button. That would at least suit him. He has said that he HATES me. Is that what you said, Millie? Or did you say DISLIKE? Nah, you're not good diminutives.
To change the subject ever so slightly, Laffite, I recently read that Jean Laffite was born to Sephardic Jewish parents, though the place of his birth has been disputed. I find that fascinating!

Oh, so you mean Millstrombosis hates me because my avatar is a Jew? Oy!

Or is this a random factoid? If so, why did you quote my last to Mill.....
Mona
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Doesn't look like a fun person!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: February 15th, 2023, 5:01 pm . . . He has said that he HATES me . . .

Nothing personal.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: February 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Doesn't look like a fun person!
In a Peter Pan book, a pirate sings, "Oh, a pirate's life is a wonderful life, ho ho .. etc."

Maybe not always.
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I looked at posts in the thread "More BBCode Formatting Please!"
Sounds like Lomm lost some features after a software update.
So you just can't win, eh?
The Hatfield/McCoy fued may have started there and for one person, it's a game.
As for attempting to help a bit, I have an Android tablet and iPad.
My iMac is not in use. Long (2007) in the tooth.
I could test features if that would help.