Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by EP Millstone »

I have created a poll "Do you want a Like button?"

The poll ends December 22. You have the opportunity to change your vote.

Vote early! Vote often!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Lomm wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:14 am To be honest, I feel that a "like" button discourages interaction and is a net negative in a forum. It's far to easy to just click "like" and move on, which we see on Social Media all the time. A forum like this is meant for discussion, not garnering "likes". I am not going to consider adding this unless we have an OVERWHELMING desire expressed for it. If someone wants to make a poll, go for it. But my inclination is to NOT do a "like" button (or a "dislike" button). :)
I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would! Hibi's post about wanting to see a list of members is a good example. I simply wanted to register agreement with him, I don't need to say anything apart from "like.")
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:24 pm
Hmmm...I wonder if the person who came up with this idea as some sort of measurement was a big Jackie Gleason fan???

A unit of length common on both: Reddit and: Imgur is the: SBU. That stands for: Standard Banana Unit. One of the items in: Reddit Recap is the distance which you scrolled on the site in the past year. Some users report that they have scrolled hundreds of thousands of the length of a banana.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm
Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:24 pm
Hmmm...I wonder if the person who came up with this idea as some sort of measurement was a big Jackie Gleason fan???

A unit of length common on both: Reddit and: Imgur is the: SBU. That stands for: Standard Banana Unit. One of the items in: Reddit Recap is the distance which you scrolled on the site in the past year. Some users report that they have scrolled hundreds of thousands of the length of a banana.
So what's that in "cubits" I wonder?!

(...asked for those around here who still might be using a dial-up internet connection, you understand) ;)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Good points all around. I think everybody will admit they love seeing those icons when they log in telling you somebody read your post and responded. But it’s like Lomm says, this really should be a discussion board and not a Facebook type thing. However, the quote feature is definitely annoying, especially the double quotes. We certainly are of all capable of “quoting” only a line or two to in our posts to make the point. I’m for making this message board as old school as can be. You read what’s been posted and you reply if you feel like it.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm Good points all around. I think everybody will admit they love seeing those icons when they log in telling you somebody read your post and responded. But it’s like Lomm says, this really should be a discussion board and not a Facebook type thing. However, the quote feature is definitely annoying, especially the double quotes. We certainly are of all capable of “quoting” only a line or two to in our posts to make the point. I’m for making this message board as old school as can be. You read what’s been posted and you reply if you feel like it.
Yeah but, Thompson, you're reading posts on a smartphone.

I don't have a smartphone. But I looked at the SSO on my old-timer's flip phone, and the layout was not "reader-friendly."

So I can imagine that the experience that you have using a phone is not the same experience that I have using a computer. I suspect that the quotes, emojis, and "bells and whistles" make reading posts on a phone rather difficult.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah, my brother sent me several years ago a laptop, and I did my resume on it and had that plug thing, and it was a killer resume because I d spent six months at the unemployment office learning how to make one. So, after eating some red beans and rice I went to the internet coffee shop and constructed it and sent it off and got hired at a new hotel. Then it all turned sour and I smashed the laptop into little bitty pieces. I know there is something wrong with me because I’ve also smashed two perfectly fine guitars into little bitty pieces.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Lomm wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:14 am To be honest, I feel that a "like" button discourages interaction and is a net negative in a forum. It's far to easy to just click "like" and move on, which we see on Social Media all the time. A forum like this is meant for discussion, not garnering "likes". I am not going to consider adding this unless we have an OVERWHELMING desire expressed for it. If someone wants to make a poll, go for it. But my inclination is to NOT do a "like" button (or a "dislike" button). :)
I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would!)

AGREE. Sometimes a LIKE or LAUGH is all that's needed. No discussion required! Who cares how many likes one has???
Hibi, as you may recall there were a few posters on the old TCM boards who took pride in their "reputation points" that were based on the number of "likes" that their posts received.

There was even one extremely annoying poster who created a thread called "What Do Likes Mean?"
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Hibi, as you may recall there were a few posters on the old TCM boards who took pride in their "reputation points" that were based on the number of "likes" that their posts received.

There was even one extremely annoying poster who created a thread called "What Do Likes Mean?"

Was there more than just that one, though? He's the only one that I ever saw making a big deal out of it, beyond cracking jokes about it.
Watching until the end.
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
laffite

Post by laffite »

sagebrush wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:19 pm I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
At 'over there' there was an option to select part of the quote if you wanted to just answer that. Just select and the software would ask, "quote this" and the poster being drawn from would be alerted. I don't think we can do that here at least without a lot of trouble. You can cut and paste the partial post but the member whose post was being quoted would not be alerted by the software.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

laffite wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:31 pm
sagebrush wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:19 pm I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
At 'over there' there was an option to select part of the quote if you wanted to just answer that. Just select and the software would ask, "quote this" and the poster being drawn from would be alerted. I don't think we can do that here at least without a lot of trouble. You can cut and paste the partial post but the member whose post was being quoted would not be alerted by the software.
Strangely enough, I get alerted any time I am in a quote chain so if someone quotes a person who quoted me I am altered even though I wasn’t directly quoted myself.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:09 pm Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
Well said.