POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

EP Millstone

POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by EP Millstone »

Do you want a button to like posts?

POLL HAS ENDED.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 22nd, 2022, 3:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Re: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Dargo »

Don't forget here EPM that site moderator Lomm (and unfortunately in my opinion, considering the thought that one would THINK that a simple majority vote would suffice) said in your first thread regarding this that it would take "an OVERWHELMING (HIS uppercasing NOT mine for once here btw...LOL) desire expressed for it" in order for him to institute this function at this website.

(...and so...well, lets just say I wouldn't count on this happening unless your poll ultimately receives such an outcome)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

This is off-topic, but may draw more people to this thread to take the poll:

Why did this site become moribund? I saw people mention that many went to Facebook, and I'm sure others grew disinterested or became unable to contribute for whatever reason.

If Facebook was the main culprit, what is it about FB that drew people away?

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll. Vautrin told me it was a waste of time and no single vote matters.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:05 pm Don't forget here EPM that site moderator Lomm (and unfortunately in my opinion, considering the thought that one would THINK that a simple majority vote would suffice) said in your first thread regarding this that it would take "an OVERWHELMING (HIS uppercasing NOT mine for once here btw...LOL) desire expressed for it" in order for him to institute this function at this website.

(...and so...well, lets just say I wouldn't count on this happening unless your poll ultimately receives such an outcome)
Yeah, I realize that OVERWHELMING (in all capital letters!) is the key factor in determining the fate of a Like button.

So if folks strongly feel Pro or Con about the matter . . .

They know what they gotta do!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm BTW, I didn't vote in the poll. Vautrin told me it was a waste of time and no single vote matters.
And that's exactly why America is the mess that it is!

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll. Vautrin told me it was a waste of time and no single vote matters.
:hystery:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

If Vautrin told you that it must be true. With that in mind, I thought a double vote might matter, but the poll wouldn't let me vote twice.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:51 pm
If Vautrin told you that it must be true. With that in mind, I thought a double vote might matter, but the poll wouldn't let me vote twice.
Hmmm. I checked the option to allow voters to change their vote. Perhaps the system administrator has not enabled the option or does not want the option.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm If Facebook was the main culprit, what is it about FB that drew people away?
Traffic.

A small site often goes months with no new users. A lack of new users means it becomes the same people discussing the same issues over and over again.

A large site has a constant influx of site users who chance upon a page and decide to join.

It is much like merchandise. Customers to a specialty store might all buy a certain item but that same item on an endcap in Wal-Mart will have much greater sales volume despite a very low percentage of customers buying it.

'Guest Authors' was a major pull for this site but I am sure it became harder and harder to find authors willing to spend time on a small site when the same effort on a large site would expose several orders of magnitude more readers.

Adding a: 'Like' button or live streaming or any other gimmick of large sites will not increase this site's exposure to Internet surfers.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm This is off-topic, but may draw more people to this thread to take the poll:

Why did this site become moribund? I saw people mention that many went to Facebook, and I'm sure others grew disinterested or became unable to contribute for whatever reason.

If Facebook was the main culprit, what is it about FB that drew people away?

I wish I could LIKE this! :(
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Masha wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Adding a: 'Like' button or live streaming or any other gimmick of large sites will not increase this site's exposure to Internet surfers.

I wasn't suggesting that it would.

I was simply curious what caused this site to go "dark", while the TCM message board continued until the plug was pulled. There were occasional new users at the TCM board, but not many, and most quit after a short time. It was primarily the same group of people who had been posting for many years, and despite repeatedly going over the same topics, they still kept posting.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I don't think a lot of people knew about it, or if they did, left when realized it was so dead here (for years). While TCM was linked to the TCM channel.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:05 pm Don't forget here EPM that site moderator Lomm (and unfortunately in my opinion, considering the thought that one would THINK that a simple majority vote would suffice) said in your first thread regarding this that it would take "an OVERWHELMING (HIS uppercasing NOT mine for once here btw...LOL) desire expressed for it" in order for him to institute this function at this website.

SO MUCH FOR DEMOCRACY!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

This is probably a joke based on something Vautrin posted on the TCM boards.
While I don't know the specifics (or even the generalities), I found it funny.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:19 pm
This is probably a joke based on something Vautrin posted on the TCM boards.
While I don't know the specifics (or even the generalities), I found it funny.
Vautrin prided himself on never voting! :(