The Mad Miss Manton

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Arsan444

The Mad Miss Manton

Post by Arsan444 »

The conversation about Laffite's avatar piqued my curiosity, so I decided to look it up and watch it on the weekend.
I thought the movie was a heavy drama or noir crime. I judged the movie by its title. But I was very pleasantly surprised that it's a screwball comedy.

Miss Manton (Barbara Stanwyck) and her socialite girlfriends decide to solve a murder. Henry Fonda is the newspaper editor who covers the crime. Naturally, they fall in love.
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It's not much of a murder mystery, but as a screwball comedy, it's lightweight, entertaining, and funny. Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda have great rapport and give fine performances. Hattie McDaniel has some good moments as Stanwyck's maid, and Sam Levene is very funny as the Chief of Police who investigates the murder.
When in doubt, have another one.
Hibi

Re: The Mad Miss Manton

Post by Hibi »

Did you notice if that scene from the avatar was in it?
Masha

Post by Masha »

This is one of my favorite movies! I do so love a bit of fluff.

Henry Fonda / Peter Ames: Listen, before I knew you, I disliked you intensely. When I met you, I disliked you intensely. Even now, I dislike you intensely... that is, the sensible sane portion of me... but there's an insane side of me that gets a little violent every time I think of you.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Hibi wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:13 am Did you notice if that scene from the avatar was in it?
Yes, and it is exactly as laffite's avatar. It's a great shot. The whole movie has good photography.
When in doubt, have another one.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 13th, 2022, 11:45 am This is one of my favorite movies! I do so love a bit of fluff.

Henry Fonda / Peter Ames: Listen, before I knew you, I disliked you intensely. When I met you, I disliked you intensely. Even now, I dislike you intensely... that is, the sensible sane portion of me... but there's an insane side of me that gets a little violent every time I think of you.
Does this feeling metastasize to other incarnations?

What about Juror No. 8?
Mona
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:57 pm
What about Juror No. 8?
I am sorry to say that I do not recognize that reference.

I like Henry Fonda very much but his dramas and Westerns are not to my taste. That is due to the nature of those movies and have no connection to his performances in them.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Arsan444 wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Hibi wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:13 am Did you notice if that scene from the avatar was in it?
Yes, and it is exactly as laffite's avatar. It's a great shot. The whole movie has good photography.

Mystery solved! Thanks.
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

Wasn't a young Penny Singleton in it?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Marysara1 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:21 pm Wasn't a young Penny Singleton in it?
Yes, Penny Singleton had a small role. So did an actress that never made it big expect in fiction; Vickie Lester.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:25 pm
What about Juror No. 8?

I like Henry Fonda very much but his dramas and Westerns are not to my taste. That is due to the nature of those movies and have no connection to his performances in them.
Masha, and just in case you haven't figured out laffite's reference to "Juror No.8" by now, that's the character Henry Fonda plays in the 1957 drama, 12 ANGRY MEN.

(...exceptional movie)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:03 pm
Masha wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:25 pm
What about Juror No. 8?

Masha, and just in case you haven't figured out laffite's reference to "Juror No.8" by now, that's the character Henry Fonda plays in the 1957 drama, 12 ANGRY MEN.

(...exceptional movie)
I thank you. I had not made the connection because Henry Fonda's drama movies are not near the top of my consciousness and I have had other matters on my mind.

I am sure that I have watched that movie at least once. I recognize the 'table stabbed by a switchblade' scene because it is often used to represent the movie but I remember nearly none of the rest.