The Trouble with Spies (1987)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
MovieCollectorOH

The Trouble with Spies (1987)

Post by MovieCollectorOH »

Just saw this one last night. It is generally available to stream or download.

I am a fan of Fletch, and The Trouble With Spies reminded me of Fletch in essence. Donald Sutherland's main character goes out on mission and slowly develops a relationship with a woman unlikely to become his girlfriend. He moves around incognito, at times in hilarious costume. There are people following him trying to kill him and there is even a guard dog at a house he is attempting to gain access to. In the end the couple walks down the beach.

I went into it for wacky Sutherland moments and wasn't disappointed. To be certain, this is not a movie to be taken seriously. This story is loosely stitched together with all kinds of frayed ends, but they used just enough duct tape at the very end (ala Murder By Death 1976) to call it a wrap.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094188/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96tDf1eGPs
EP Millstone

Re: The Trouble with Spies (1987)

Post by EP Millstone »

MovieCollectorOH,

Ever seen S*P*Y*S?

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
MovieCollectorOH

EP Millstone wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:37 pm MovieCollectorOH,

Ever seen S*P*Y*S?

Not yet. Sounds like a recommendation? :)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

MovieCollectorOH wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 10:07 pm Not yet. Sounds like a recommendation? :)
Well, that all depends on your taste.

I saw S*P*Y*S numerous times during its initial theatrical release . . . because it played at a movie theatre at which I was employed. That was almost 50 years ago, and I cannot remember one cotton-picking thing about the movie except the ending when Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland dance off "into the sunset." As I recall, audiences enjoyed it and it had good box office.

The delivery of the narrator in the trailer and the stylized spelling of the movie title are deliberate references to M*A*S*H, the first teaming of Gould and Sutherland.

It is available on the Russian website OK.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
MovieCollectorOH

EP Millstone wrote: December 24th, 2022, 4:10 pm
MovieCollectorOH wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 10:07 pm Not yet. Sounds like a recommendation? :)
Well, that all depends on your taste.

I saw S*P*Y*S numerous times during its initial theatrical release . . . because it played at a movie theatre at which I was employed. That was almost 50 years ago, and I cannot remember one cotton-picking thing about the movie except the ending when Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland dance off "into the sunset." As I recall, audiences enjoyed it and it had good box office.

The delivery of the narrator in the trailer and the stylized spelling of the movie title are deliberate references to M*A*S*H, the first teaming of Gould and Sutherland.

It is available on the Russian website OK.
Thanks for getting back. That sounds like fun too. I think what I'm going to have to do here is go through Mr. Sutherland's film timeline on IMDB and really look into it some more..."'specially" now that we have resources such as OK, for certain titles. :smiley_shades: