In my own little world

Chit-chat, current events
TikiSoo

Re: In my own little world

Post by TikiSoo »

Masha wrote: September 5th, 2023, 6:29 pm
• Even acquiring supplies to do your own work can be expensive.

• Your weather must be significantly different from ours. We recently came off eight days of approx. one hundred degree heat with nights not falling much below eighty degrees. Humidity was very high also.

• What looked like ten inch batt insulation around the perimeter of the attic is actually two inch thick insulation on chicken-wire framework. We have no idea why any person would have gone to so much trouble for so little effect.
1. Sometimes. I'm rebuilding my porch because of damage caused by rain dripping off the roof.
The new gutter materials were $25 and easy to install myself. The wood for the porch skirting has cost well over $200 and a PIA to build.

2. I'm in upstate NY, known for heavy snow/fridgid temperatures. Like the rest of the US, this week has been 95ª and 75% humidity only falling to 68 at night. Thank goodness it hasn't been 100ª here....that's the only time I use an air conditioner for the hottest part of the day!

3. The chicken wire "insulation" is to combat squirrels from infiltrating your attic. I've had to do that before, wrapping 2x4s in chicken wire to prevent them from chewing their way in.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Masha, just to know that you're not alone. Have been having similar temps here with 74 days of 100+ temps - over half of them 105+. I'm currently wiring a house addition wing that was started many years ago and delayed because of time, $, and med issues. Pretty much the same situation of hiring help here, so have had to learn many skills over the years - which I actually do mostly enjoy. Years ago, hubby helped with the work, but these days it's solo.

My house: the hobby that got WAY out of hand.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Masha wrote: September 5th, 2023, 9:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 5th, 2023, 7:10 pm Masha, to quote Martha O'Driscoll from 1945's HOUSE OF DRACULA as John Carradine is hypnotizing her into becoming a vampire like himself, "Your world is coming closer and closer!"

And I love it! I am rooting for you in every endeavor you undertake.

I live in a small Florida condo with tiny anole lizards and flying palmetto bugs. No garden, only a patio (decently sized) This is hurricane season (June through November) so I've stocked up on the basics -- bottled water, tuna, crackers, Pepperidge Farm cookies and Lay's Dill Pickle flavored potato chips.

I lead an exciting life, lol.
I thank you for your kind support.

I remember there was an incident a few years ago when you had a visitor which was neither a lizard nor a bug. You were not able to identify it but you did state that it looked much like this:

LOL -- I wish it actually did look like that, but the thing wasn't a visitor. I was walking home from the library when all of a sudden I saw something following me that resembled a cross between some sort of crustacean and a playful mammal, so I christened it a "crab puppy". I remember people going by in automobiles actually turning their heads to observe this bizarre but loveable creature. As I turned a corner it scurried off into the bushes, never to be seen, at least by me, again.

To this day I do not know what the crab puppy really was. I miss it/him/her. Maybe a space alien pet that got lost?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

dianedebuda wrote: September 6th, 2023, 9:13 am My house: the hobby that got WAY out of hand.
:lol:
But yeah, you just CAN'T find a contractor who is reliable & just shows up! You're almost forced to doing it yourself.

I'm currently patching cement between my foundation & sidewalk hoping to deter rain from pouring into my basement. I never thought I'd be doing CEMENT work! But it opens the possibilities to make garden statues!

Impressive wiring a house Dianedebuda! The most I've ever tried was light fixtures.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 5th, 2023, 7:10 pm
I live in a small Florida condo with tiny anole lizards and flying palmetto bugs. No garden, only a patio (decently sized) This is hurricane season (June through November) so I've stocked up on the basics -- bottled water, tuna, crackers, Pepperidge Farm cookies and Lay's Dill Pickle flavored potato chips.

I think they ought to put you in charge of the next time capsule. Your sense of choice is impeccable. Please consider including a faded photo of Bela Lugosi. We don't want to scare them.
"Desire" (1936)
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:35 am
3. The chicken wire "insulation" is to combat squirrels from infiltrating your attic. I've had to do that before, wrapping 2x4s in chicken wire to prevent them from chewing their way in.
That makes sense.

What is here does not make sense.

Imagine taking fourteen feet of chicken wire, standing it up and making bends so that it encloses a two foot by four foot rectangle. Then cut at the corners from top and bottom to leave eight inches uncut near the middle and fold the sides in as if closing a cardboard box. Flip it over to do the bottom the same way. Place a four foot piece of chicken wire on the top and wire it to retain the box shape. Lay two-inch-thick fiberglass on top and on one long side. Use monofilament fishing line to sew the insulation to the wire.

The previous owner made thirty-two such things and placed them around the outer perimeter of the attic. He managed also to cover every soffit vent in the process.

I have no concept of why he thought that was worth the time, effort and expense.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:45 pm

I think they ought to put you in charge of the next time capsule. Your sense of choice is impeccable. Please consider including a faded photo of Bela Lugosi. We don't want to scare them.

Moe Howard as well.

But I intend on living forever.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 8th, 2023, 2:02 pm
laffite wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:45 pm

Moe Howard as well.

But I intend on living forever.
If you are going to have him around, get a pair of goggles. You don't want to live forever blind.
"Desire" (1936)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Why you!!!! LOL
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:40 am Why you!!!! LOL
Yeah, right. Sorry.
"Desire" (1936)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Don't think we've gotten our quarterly update on the house reno, Masha.

(...got that utility area done yet?)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: November 13th, 2023, 10:16 pm Don't think we've gotten our quarterly update on the house reno, Masha.

(...got that utility area done yet?)
I would laugh heartily if it was not so very sad.

My little Fuzzy has sadly been hors de combat since the first week of September. It fell to me to remodel the entrance to the attic and install insulation. This was quite time-consuming and difficult. I placed the remote sensor of the indoor-outdoor thermometer in the attic. It registered up to one-hundred-and-eighteen degrees most days. I know that is simply a typical sunny afternoon in Arizona but it is more than a mature woman who was raised in temperate climes should have to endure. I was limited to approx. an hour in the morning and an hour in late evening because my work suffers when my clothes become saturated with sweat. The temperature would reach one-hundred-and-six degrees even on days when the outside temperature only touched seventy degrees.

A significant problem was that the roof has a very low slope. It is impossible to reach closer than four feet from the outside walls. It was necessary for me to notch sheets of two-inch-thick foam insulation so they would fit around the rafters and use poles to push them into place. I could then unroll four-inch-thick fiberglass insulation and use poles to push it against the foam. Then I could unroll eight-inch-thick fiberglass insulation and use yardstick to push it against the first roll of insulation. I could then unroll the main insulation and fit it in directly.

Please take into consideration that there was barely sufficient height at the center for me to be on my hands and knees and I had to be flat on my stomach for most of it. Great care had to be taken because roofing nails penetrated the sheathing in all places and so raising a head meant banging it on a rafter or having the scalp perforated. Please take into consideration also that the rafters were trusses and each and every vertical support piece was in precisely the most inconvenient location for what had to be done.

It was also that measurements and calculations showed that the gable end vents provided only approx. thirty percent of the open area necessary for the space. Larger ones were needed. They could be installed only from inside because of the height and our disdain for tall ladders.

It was by these things and other factors that what should have been a two-day project required nearly seven weeks.

That the seasons are changing meant several days tending to landscaping and flower bed. It required all of one afternoon to simply harvest the rosemary, collect the dried coneflower blossoms for their seeds and cut down the thick mass of catnip. It is the season also that open burning is allowed and so I have spent several days dousing one of the stumps with lighter fluid and tending it while it burned. An unfortunate aspect of this is that city ordinance states a person must be present every minute during such a fire. It is our luck that a fireman lives in the neighborhood, has a clear view of our yard and loves to earn points at work by reporting violations. The fine is quite considerable. That stump is now a little less than two-thirds gone and will require an attack with a Sawzall and more lighter fluid to render it susceptible to complete removal next spring.

It was while tending the fire one day that I decided to do what was scheduled to be our major fall project: installing paving on two sides of the flower bed to create a proper border. The sides are eighty-five inches and one-hundred-and-five inches long and the paving is to be fourteen inches wide. I had to excavate nine inches deep to accommodate the 'paver base', sand and pavers. I distributed most of the dirt in little dips in the lawn and one of the wheel ruts left by the tree-fellers. I then constructed a frame of cedar boards to be an outer edge to constrain the sand and leveled it with the cedar boards which define the flower bed and its divisions.

I had to screen some of the dirt, remove rocks and organic matter, replace it in the excavation and tamp it down to a solid layer two inches thick. I placed a layer of geotextile fabric and spread a thin layer of paver base over it.

That is how it sits at this very moment. I will tomorrow tamp the paver base down, add more, tamp, add more etc. until it is a layer four inches thick. I hope to add and level the necessary one-inch thick layer of sand also but whether I reach that stage will be determined by circumstances outside of my control. Laying the pavers will likely begin Wednesday or Thursday.

The weather is scheduled to turn so cold next week that working outside would be problematic and so all things must be done now or wait for spring.

It would be quite foolish to speculate when we can resume work on the house interior. I must soon spend several days away so as to be recertified for two of the contracts which I hold and it is probable that my little Fuzzy will need further outpatient surgery because he is not recovering as quickly as he should. I should note that he is not in pain and his life is not in great danger from his condition. It is simply that he is an exceptionally bad patient and will not adhere to doctors' order for complete bedrest. He insists on working on heavy tasks but quickly overexerts. This is preventing his body from healing. There seems to me to be only one method of keeping him in bed but he overexerts himself then also. He is hopeless.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Re the insulation installation...I've always hated working in confined quarters and/or on things overhead as well. Never fun.

Does sound as though you're making a lot of headway anyway. And even without the help of your ailing L.F. (<--Little Fuzzy for short here, of course) ;)

And speaking of him here...
Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 1:50 am
...It would be quite foolish to speculate when we can resume work on the house interior. I must soon spend several days away so as to be recertified for two of the contracts which I hold and it is probable that my little Fuzzy will need further outpatient surgery because he is not recovering as quickly as he should. I should note that he is not in pain and his life is not in great danger from his condition. It is simply that he is an exceptionally bad patient and will not adhere to doctors' order for complete bedrest. He insists on working on heavy tasks but quickly overexerts. This is preventing his body from healing. There seems to me to be only one method of keeping him in bed but he overexerts himself then also. He is hopeless.
...well, I suppose actually about me but using his resistance to doctoring as a segue to it...

My little motorcycle accident of last month (feeling so much better now that I'll be heading back to the tennis courts tomorrow for the very first time since the crash) has resulted in this guy here (me, who like your L.F. has always resisted seeing doctors...yeah, it's a "man thing") having being told today during my follow-up visit that they discovered I have an enlarged heart. She told me I'll probably have to begin using a statin in order to help this condition. Have never before had to take any prescribed daily medications. Feels like it's now official. I'm an old fart now! ;)

(...in closing, I hope L.F. is feeling better soon...and tell him not to overexert himself...and regardless his location within the house)
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Masha, you & I are in similar situations. Had a major (28x50, 2-story) addition to the house framed out probably 20 years ago, but every time I started to work on it, life "stuff" got in the way. Restarted the wiring at the beginning of summer, so, of course, Mother Nature decided to turn up the burners with an excessive number of 100+/110+ days this year. Being an old coot, could only manage working 2 or 3 hours in the morning before being totally wiped out for the rest of the day. I too am working solo since hubby can't manage physical work any more. At least in my case, I can hire the pros to blow a rock wool type material for the ceiling insulation cheaper than I can buy materials, but there is a section that's too tight for them get at. I'm luckier than you here, 'cause there's no drywall so I was able to build air vent chutes to the eaves and then strap rock wool from the underside between the rafters. Wiring is 95% done upstairs and all of the outside outlets & lights are complete - just need to be connected to the breaker panel to be operational. Taking a break to prep for bird day, but will soon be back at it.