Jan. Fridays-Female Detectives

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Masha

Re: Jan. Fridays-Female Detectives

Post by Masha »

My knowledge of the topic is quite very limited and I fear becoming pedantic but I assume the cross-dressing in these movies was for comedic effect only. The pantomime dame was a staple of theatre, burlesque and revues in England. I do not know how much carry-over there was in America. I doubt that many here were familiar with the wonderful performances of Dan Leno but there was surely some leakage to the New York stage.

I believe that the reason I found it originally notable was a hint of the Nancy Drew character's expression implying that she could never again take the boy seriously as a male when she saw him dressed as a woman.

It does seem to be a popular trope. IMDB.com lists more than seven hundred movies with keyword: cross-dressing. Some Like It Hot (1959) is number four in the list.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Masha wrote: January 7th, 2023, 3:01 pm My knowledge of the topic is quite very limited and I fear becoming pedantic but I assume the cross-dressing in these movies was for comedic effect only. The pantomime dame was a staple of theatre, burlesque and revues in England. I do not know how much carry-over there was in America. I doubt that many here were familiar with the wonderful performances of Dan Leno but there was surely some leakage to the New York stage.

I believe that the reason I found it originally notable was a hint of the Nancy Drew character's expression implying that she could never again take the boy seriously as a male when she saw him dressed as a woman.

It does seem to be a popular trope. IMDB.com lists more than seven hundred movies with keyword: cross-dressing. Some Like It Hot (1959) is number four in the list.
I haven't read a Nancy Drew book in over 40 years so I can't recall if the use of disguises was used in the books or not. As for in the Granville films and the two young stars relationship; As Ben noted in the 4th and final film (Hidden Staircase), the director did film a kissing scene but this was cut since at the time of release Granville was still a minor. (Thomas was two year older and just became an adult).

I point this out related to the comment of "could never take the boy seriously as a male": There could be a connection there: I.e. Warner Bros. didn't wish for teens to take each other seriously as members of the opposite sex since, well, we all know what that can lead to!

PS: Note that in Nancy Drew Reporter, Joan Leslie has an uncredited role as one of the young girls competing with Nancy for the young reporter prize. Joan's first credited role was about 2 years later in High Sierra where Bogart plays a potential mate. Joan was only 16 when that film was released, but played an adult (it is unclear how old). It is Bogie and Joan's grandfather in the film, Henry Travers, that form a strong friendship. I believe that was done for a reason.
Masha

Post by Masha »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 8th, 2023, 1:27 pm I haven't read a Nancy Drew book in over 40 years so I can't recall if the use of disguises was used in the books or not. As for in the Granville films and the two young stars relationship; As Ben noted in the 4th and final film (Hidden Staircase), the director did film a kissing scene but this was cut since at the time of release Granville was still a minor. (Thomas was two year older and just became an adult).

I point this out related to the comment of "could never take the boy seriously as a male": There could be a connection there: I.e. Warner Bros. didn't wish for teens to take each other seriously as members of the opposite sex since, well, we all know what that can lead to!
I remember reading long ago that there was a bit of a huff concerning: Shirley Temple in: The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) in that she was an adult but her character was a high school girl and therefore not of an age to have impure thoughts or urges. It did not become a large controversy but there were obviously a few who found it objectionable. I am under the impression that the Code was strong when it came to age segregation.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya