Your Favorite Film Critics/Reviewers

EP Millstone

Re: Your Favorite Film Critics/Reviewers

Post by EP Millstone »

monsieur_sniffles wrote: February 9th, 2023, 8:45 am Yeah, he doesn't lay on the 'character' as hard as Briggs (not that that's a bad thing, as I really enjoyed Briggs for a period. Unfortunately, he's pivoted to a corny Rush Limbaugh-lite routine of late.)
Sorry to hear that! I know that Briggs has a gig on Shudder, The Last Drive-in with Joe Bob Briggs. I no longer subscribe to Shudder. But when I did, most of the flicks that Briggs hosted didn't grab me.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: February 9th, 2023, 7:07 am Steve's a local guy . . .
This guy is a trip! He kind of reminds me of Nathan Lane.

I love how Hayes doesn't so much review a movie as performs it*! I greatly appreciate that he enjoys horror movies and Hammer Films horror movies! His impersonation of Freda Jackson in Brides of Dracula cracked me up!

* Hayes' performances reminds me of my father who, when telling my siblings and me about The Phantom of the Opera (1925), would flamboyantly re-enact the unmasking scene.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Deleted, sorry posted in wrong thread
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:42 am A great movie critic has an encyclopedic knowledge of film, not limited by country or genre, and has a firm understanding of the most important debates and discussions in film over the past century.

Here's a list of the 1000 greatest movies: https://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_al ... _table.php. If you haven't seen half of them, you can't consider yourself a serious critic before you do.
Well, I guess I barely scraped past with muster, as I saw a little over half. I did well with the American titles, but its hard to get many foreign language films in Rural Ohio.... and The Criterion Streaming Service does not work on the computer at all.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I reread Kael and Ebert quite often. I used to read Joseph Morgenstern until he retired last year.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 12th, 2023, 3:53 pm . . . but its hard to get many foreign language films in Rural Ohio.... and The Criterion Streaming Service does not work on the computer at all.
The Criterion Channel plays just fine on my Apple Macbook computer.

Mubi is an excellent streaming source for foreign movies.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: September 7th, 2023, 4:11 pm Rotten Tomatoes didn't invent this sort of thing. Film publicists used to come up with "quotes" that could be credited to various bottom-feeding "critics" and journalists who liked seeing their names in ads.

"Funniest film all year!"--Ima Nobody
Yea, Rotten Tomatoes must have been aware of such practices. Therefore, that makes me more cynical. I.e., they are not sorry for this happening under their watch. They are just sorry they were exposed!
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

I like Richard Brody of The New Yorker. His reviews tend to be on the longer side, but they're quite informative.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Martin Scorsese Still Has Stories to Tell

"....Martin Scorsese isn’t a fan of top 10 favorite movies lists:

“The word favorite has different levels: Films that have impressed you the most, as opposed to films you just like to keep watching as opposed to those you keep watching & learning from”....

...Scorsese’s encyclopedic knowledge of film has made him the patron saint of film bros, and though it’s a title he most certainly never asked for, he’s happy to talk about movies for as long as you like. But the stories he tells me during our three-hour interview—about falling in love with westerns as an asthmatic kid, or about his Aunt Mary taking him to a double bill of Bambi and Jacques Tourneur’s great obsessive noir Out of the Past at age 6—are about so much more than movies. Even people who love movies often talk about them in a way that disconnects them from life; it’s easier to jaw on about camera angles than it is to explain how a film speaks to our soul. Scorsese can articulate all of it....

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/170 ... 01221?s=20

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM