Preston Sturges

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
TikiSoo

Re: Preston Sturges

Post by TikiSoo »

Cuthbert wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:51 am Spoto is quite a character. He was a professor of mine. Two fascinating courses: one on Hitchcock, one on horror films. I forgot which one I took, I think the horror film one, in which he also referred to Hitchcock.
Wow! Interesting hearing that from an "insider"! The book I just recently read about John Barrymore did the same thing but limited to the first chapter. One chapter was enough to "set the stage" for the person he would become and appreciate the role his forebears had on his attitude & career.
I'll give the Spoto book another chance but find it confusing.
I want to like Sturges films and want to understand his life & art a little more.
speedracer5

Re: Preston Sturges

Post by speedracer5 »

I wish I didn't live on the complete opposite side of the country from NYC, otherwise I would definitely be at the Preston Sturges festival. "The Palm Beach Story" is my favorite Sturges film. It is hilarious. Joel McCrea is excellent as the straight man, later named "Captain McGlue." Claudette Colbert is fun as the woman unexpectedly swept up in JD Hackensacker III (Rudy Vallee) and his sister, Princess Centimillia (Mary Astor)'s upper crust society world in Palm Beach. There is a completely insane train scene led by William Demerest. Claudette Colbert also fashions herself a very stylish ensemble out of a Pullman blanket, a pair of men's pajamas, and some borrowed Victorian era shoes.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com