MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dargo

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:11 pm
Dargo wrote: May 6th, 2024, 6:08 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:53 pm Mandy Patinkin is hot as Avigdor in YENTL.
BUT, evidently NOT hot enough for Babs' tastes, anyway.

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her new published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

(...guess Babs doesn't care for the presumptious type, and no matter how much beefcake they're a'packin', huh!)
Originally she thought of casting Richard Gere in the part. That would have been odd. (The scene in 1985's King David where Gere prances around the streets of Jerusalem wearing only a pair of underwear that looks like a diaper is one of those memorably bad scenes one can never forget.)
Yeah, and besides the whole "diaper" thing, I think she probably made the right casting choice when she gave to part to Mandy.

As Gere has always seemed to me to be best cast in more contemporary roles, and far less so in period pieces.

(...aka, "Al Pacino Syndrome")
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:53 pm Mandy Patinkin is hot as Avigdor in YENTL.

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her newly published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

(...guess Babs doesn't care for the presumptious type, and no matter how much beefcake they're a'packin', huh!)
I purchased the audio-book version of Barbra Streisand's autobiography (narrated by Streisand) but I haven't got to that part yet.

I did see the interview with Stephen Colbert where he brought up the Mandy Patinkin thing (his presumption that they would have an affair during the making of YENTL and him pouting when she said no).

I thought it was funny when Stephen Colbert asked her to make a facial expression for each of her former leading men that he mentioned.
Alas, she refused to play along.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 6th, 2024, 2:23 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:03 pm I have to confess that I've never truly understood VERTIGO, much less why it's been on Top Ten lists as one of the greatest American movies. I have less of a problem with Scottie than I do with dumb needy masochistic Judy, putty in the hands of controlling men to be sure. Everyone in this story is pretty much screwed up, including Midge.

Who really makes me want to throw up is Mark Rutland in MARNIE. On their "honeymoon" he makes a promise not to touch Marnie, then forces himself on her, with sicko Hitch lovingly filming every angle of this rape.
Oh, Frenzy's rape/murder was much more sick than Marnie's scene was, even though the one in the earlier film was grotesque. With the exception of that scene, I kind of liked Marnie. Tippi does give a wonderful performance, the score is good, and its interesting so see a different type of film from Hitch.

With Vertigo, I generally think the reason why Judy goes through with the later humiliation (which leads to her death) is because, while pretending to be Madeleine, she fell for Scotty and feels bad at what she put him through.

That particular scene in FRENZY gave me nightmares.

When Judy opens her hotel door in VERTIGO she has no reaction. Did she already spot him out of the corner of her eye while chatting with those co-workers?

I must admit I do like MARNIE even though I cannot stand Sean Connery's performance. So obnoxious. I as well thought Tippi was perfect in the role and now cannot imagine Grace Kelly as Marnie, even though Grace had that natural icy and remote quality which did suit the character. But Tippi has a kind of plastic, wooden brittleness that works for me here, and compliments the whole "artificialty" of the movie, if that makes any sense.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 11:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:03 pm I have to confess that I've never truly understood VERTIGO, much less why it's been on Top Ten lists as one of the greatest American movies. I have less of a problem with Scottie than I do with dumb needy masochistic Judy, putty in the hands of controlling men to be sure. Everyone in this story is pretty much screwed up, including Midge.

Who really makes me want to throw up is Mark Rutland in MARNIE. On their "honeymoon" he makes a promise not to touch Marnie, then forces himself on her, with sicko Hitch lovingly filming every angle of this rape.
Oh, Frenzy's rape/murder was much more sick than Marnie's scene was, even though the one in the earlier film was grotesque. With the exception of that scene, I kind of liked Marnie. Tippi does give a wonderful performance, the score is good, and its interesting so see a different type of film from Hitch.

With Vertigo, I generally think the reason why Judy goes through with the later humiliation (which leads to her death) is because, while pretending to be Madeleine, she fell for Scotty and feels bad at what she put him through.

When Judy opens her hotel door in VERTIGO she has no reaction. Did she already spot him out of the corner of her eye while chatting with those co-workers?

I must admit I do like MARNIE even though I cannot stand Sean Connery's performance. So obnoxious. I as well thought Tippi was perfect in the role and now cannot imagine Grace Kelly as Marnie, even though Grace had that natural icy and remote quality which did suit the character. But Tippi has a kind of plastic, wooden brittleness that works for me here, and compliments the whole "artificialty" of the movie, if that makes any sense.
Could you see the citizens of Monaco watching that film with Grace in the role???? I wonder how she could've even entertained the idea...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her new published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

Originally she thought of casting Richard Gere in the part. That would have been odd. (The scene in 1985's King David where Gere prances around the streets of Jerusalem wearing only a pair of underwear that looks like a diaper is one of those memorably bad scenes one can never forget.)
I don't even remember that King David film....
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I say this because when she was recently interviewed by Stephen Colbert about her newly published autobiography (when they taped it at her Malibu mansion and shown later on his program), she mentioned the part book in her book where she was competely turned off by him and due to his saying to her as filming for 'Yentl' began that he naturally assumed they were going to have an affair.

It's an ego-driven business, isn't it?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Just thought I would share this.

I received my first "Shut up, fag" response on X (formerly known as Twitter).

I feel honored.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:49 am

It came and went very quickly in 1985. It was released around Easter that year, got brutal reviews, then disappared. Other than the diaper scene, a few other notes could be made about it.

1) Edward Woodward was fantastic as King Saul.

2) Carl Davis turned in a wonderful musical score.

3) The film was quite obviously heavily edited in the later scenes.

4) The PG-13 rating was ridiculous and it only got that rating due to the biblical theme, as the film featured brief full-frontal female nudity, topless scenes, and gory battle scenes that rivaled Braveheart. It should have been rated R.
Last edited by CinemaInternational on May 7th, 2024, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:17 pm

It came and went very quickly in 1985. It was released around Easter rhat year, got brutal reviews, then disappared. Other than the diaper scene, a few other notes could be made about it.

4) The PG-13 rating was ridiculous and it only got that rating due to the biblical theme, as the film featured brief full-frontal female nudity, topless scenes, and gory battle scenes that rivaled Braveheart. It should have been rated R.
I guess that's why I don't remember it! I checked on imdb and noticed Gere was nominated for a Razzie.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:26 pm

It came and went very quickly in 1985. It was released around Easter rhat year, got brutal reviews, then disappared. Other than the diaper scene, a few other notes could be made about it.

I guess that's why I don't remember it!
Well, admittedly the same could be said for most of the other films done by Paramount that year. Paramount bankrolled King David that year, and pretty much the only bona fide financial hit Paramount had that year was Witness with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. Clue later became a cult favorite, and Summer Rental with John Candy still has an appeal with 80s kids (like Speedy), but of their other titles that year, what others are really familiar to audiences?

For the record, the remaining Paramount titles of 1985 were:

Compromising Positions (pretty good light mystery vehicle for Susan Sarandon)
Rustlers Rhapsody (spoof of old Roy Rogers fims, with Tom Beringer and Andy Griffith)
That Was Then This Is Now (teen melodrama)
Silver Bullet (Steven King werewolf horror)
Young Sherlock Holmes(really a Victorian set remake of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom)
Macaroni (starring vehicle for Mastroianni and Jack Lemmon)
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (schlock horror)
Explorers (kiddie sci-fi with River Phoenix and Ethan Hawke)
DARYL (more kiddie sci-fi)

Not the most memorable group.
CinemaInternational

I checked on imdb and noticed Gere was nominated for a Razzie.
Yes. Gere lost the Razzie to Sylvester Stallone who was at his most grandiose that year with Rocky and Rambo. The others up for that Razzie were Divine in Lust in the Dust, John Travolta in Perfect (which pretty much killed his career for close to a decade), and Al Pacino in Revolution (an infamous bomb)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:39 pm

I checked on imdb and noticed Gere was nominated for a Razzie.
Yes. Gere lost the Razzie to Sylvester Stallone who was at his most grandiose that year with Rocky and Rambo. The others up for that Razzie were Divine in Lust in the Dust, John Travolta in Perfect (which pretty much killed his career for close to a decade), and Al Pacino in Revolution (an infamous bomb)
LOL! (Divine) I liked him in Lust in the Dust. Admittedly he wasn't an actor but he was funny in that. Lainie Kazan too.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:36 pm

Well, admittedly the same could be said for most of the other films done by Paramount that year. Paramount bankrolled King David that year, and pretty much the only bona fide financial hit Paramount had that year was Witness with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. Clue later became a cult favorite, and Summer Rental with John Candy still has an appeal with 80s kids (like Speedy), but of their other titles that year, what others are really familiar to audiences?

Rustlers Rhapsody (spoof of old Roy Rogers fims, with Tom Beringer and Andy Griffith)
Young Sherlock Holmes(really a Victorian set remake of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom)

I don't even remember most of the films on that list! I did see Compromising Positions as I read the book. (the book was better).
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:49 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:36 pm

I don't even remember most of the films on that list! I did see Compromising Positions as I read the book. (the book was better).
If its any comfort, I'm not familiar with most of them either. I saw Witness (very good), Compromising Positions (good), King David (middling), Clue (very funny), and Young Sherlock Holmes (a big letdown). The western spoof could be fun I guess, and while I'm curious about the Lemmon/Mastroianni film, it has seemingly vanished from the face of the earth and cannot be found anywhere except on expensive videotapes.
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 6th, 2024, 11:16 pm

Sean Connery was one of those actors who really improved the more he aged. He's OK in many of the 60s films (although I quite like Woman of Straw with Gina Lollobrigida and some of the Bond films), but hes really at his best later on in Robin and Marian and The Russia House.

As for Frenzy, that horrible scene killed the whole movie for me. It still remains one of the most painful and uncomfortable scenes I have ever seen, and I cannot put myself through that film again.