Like Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Dargo

Re: Like Button

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:24 pm
Dargo wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:15 pm . . . And now we bring you the reaction of those who for whatever reason or reasons (and beyond my abilities to fully comprehend) opposed this whole thing...

Yo, Dargo!

The naysayers can still celebrate.

Like for instance, someone could post "EP Millstone is a big, fat, disrespectful bully and poo-poo idiot!!!!" and then Masha, TikiSoo, Sue Sue Applegate, and especially laffite (ElCid too should he return) could LIKE the post.

So every cloud has a silver lining (and vice versa). ;)
LOL

Yeah, well, when ya put it like THAT, not a bad point here, I suppose!

(...yep, SEE?!...that's what I've always liked about ya here, EPM...you've always been one o' those "Glass Half-FULL" kind'a guys...of course WHAT that glass is half-full OF, I sometimes wonder!!!) ;)

LOL
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:15 pm
And now we bring you the reaction of those who for whatever reason or reasons (and beyond my abilities to fully comprehend) opposed this whole thing...

LOL
I opposed it on grounds that it caters to: Facebook/Twitter/Instagram mentality. It is dumbing-down a forum which should cater to people with considered opinions to express. It is sad to say that this forum is a shadow of its former self and most activity is in games and off-topic boards and so the button might be realistic response to what the board is becoming.

I console myself with the fact that the addition did not include a downvote button.

I will use it on occasion as a tool because there are times when I feel a post needs some acknowledgement but it is temporarily painful to type. I know there are simple-minded blowhards who will claim this is hypocritical but I will not lose any sleep over it.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:58 pm
And now we bring you the reaction of those who for whatever reason or reasons (and beyond my abilities to fully comprehend) opposed this whole thing...

LOL
I opposed it on grounds that it caters to: Facebook/Twitter/Instagram mentality. It is dumbing-down a forum which should cater to people with considered opinions to express. It is sad to say that this forum is a shadow of its former self and most activity is in games and off-topic boards and so the button might be realistic response to what the board is becoming.
While I haven't been a member of this website long enough to have any clear idea of how before I recently arrived to it, it might have been populated by a higher percentage of people willing and able to express their "considered opinions" of classic films at length and more than it presently contains, I still must say that your correlating this website to the above mentioned social media sites seems to me to be a bit of a stretch, and especially so only because of a common "Like" button that's now available between and within them.

Although, admittedly, it does seem I have found myself participating within the "Games" section of this website much more than I ever did back at the old TCM website. But then again, even over there I was never much regarded for my abilities at any kind of "in-depth analysis of the cinema", ya know. LOL
I console myself with the fact that the addition did not include a downvote button.
Yes, absolutely, and as I and a few others of the Pro-Like Button people mentioned in the earlier Poll thread noted, there being no good reason to add any level of negativity to the happenings at the website, and primarily because IF one would find themselves disagreeing with something another SSO member might post, I would think it then would become encumbent upon the disagreeing party to indeed express themsleves as to why they found themselves in said disagreement and by use of the reply function.
I will use it on occasion as a tool because there are times when I feel a post needs some acknowledgement but it is temporarily painful to type. I know there are simple-minded blowhards who will claim this is hypocritical but I will not lose any sleep over it.
Perhaps in these sorts of occasions, you might first consider a modicum consumption of your favorite potent potable (my current favorite being two-fingers of Don Julio Anejo Tequila) and which I've found can be helpful in alleviating these sorts of nagging little pains such as you've described here. Hey, at least I know this sort of thing helps alleviate a littie bit of that pain I sometimes feel after a day on the tennis courts, anyway.

(...don't over-do it though, my dear friend...always remember: "Moderation in All Things") ;)
Last edited by Dargo on February 17th, 2023, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I must agree with our dear friend Masha who writes that this board is "a shadow of its former self." It certainly is. Its former self was basically a corpse. For example, between January 2020 and October 2022 (that's nearly three years), Masha did not post at all (this is searchable)! This board was close to defunct! And now,

And as for dear Masha's dissing of the Games threads (in which btw there is a great deal of movie discussion, and information. I've been led to watch films based on those threads).

But, if for a moment we accept (and I don't) that the Games threads are lowbrow, then we must thank our dear Masha for raising the discourse around here with her Memes thread. One of her recent posts there begins with "My mom finally got the courage to bring my Dad's urn into the living room and place it on the mantle..." Another of her memes: "Social media has made too many of you comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the mouth for it."

So bear with our low talk, dear Masha, as we enliven this place; and thank you for raising the level of discourse with those high quality memes; just please, stay away from the violence metaphors; you've used those before).
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:42 pm I must agree with our dear friend Masha who writes that this board is "a shadow of its former self."

[ ... ]
I have an idea that Dear Masha might have been referring to days of yore, say 2008-2014, when discussions were more movie-oriented than now.

EDIT : ...or perhaps you knew that already ... I thought it might be something else.

:smiley_chinrub:
Last edited by laffite on February 18th, 2023, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:25 pm
Masha wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:58 pm

LOL
[...] I still must say that your correlating this website to the above mentioned social media sites seems to me to be a bit of a stretch, and especially so only because of a common "Like" button that's now available between and within them.
I freely admit that I often make arguments reductio ad absurdum. It is one of the reasons that I am so very lovable.
Although, admittedly, it does seem I have found myself participating within the "Games" section of this website much more than I ever did back at the old TCM website. But then again, even over there I was never much regarded for my abilities at any kind of "in-depth analysis of the cinema", ya know. LOL
AH HEM! I held your comments on movies in high regard. I believe we rarely interacted on that but it was only because our tastes greatly differ.

I find myself also participating in the games much more here than I did on tcm.

Perhaps in these sorts of occasions, you might first consider a modicum consumption of your favorite potent potable (my current favorite being two-fingers of Don Julio Anejo Tequila) and which I've found can be helpful in alleviating these sorts of nagging little pains such as you've described here. Hey, at least I know this sort of thing helps alleviate a littie bit of that pain I sometimes feel after a day on the tennis courts, anyway.

(...don't over-do it though, my dear friend...always remember: "Moderation in All Things") ;)
Moderation is for monks!

I thank you for your suggestion but I believe I will stay with my morphine and Durban Haze.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:30 am
Swithin wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:42 pm I must agree with our dear friend Masha who writes that this board is "a shadow of its former self."

[ ... ]
I have an idea that Dear Masha might have been referring to days of yore, say 2008-2014, when discussions were more movie-oriented than now.

EDIT : ...or perhaps you knew that already ... I thought it might be something else.

The status quo of this board was that is was basically defunct. If it was so vital, why did almost every one desert it for years? We have brought it back to life. With her references to recreational drugs, I'm beginning to think that our friend has some connection to the Masha of Chekhov's The Seagull, who says this right at the top of that great play:

MEDVIEDENKO. Why do you always wear mourning?

MASHA. I dress in black to match my life. I am unhappy.

Please, if you're miserable, just don't take it out on us. I do recognize that your vituperative posts may have been written whilst "under the influence."
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ziggy6708a wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:42 pm

& TY
:smiley_clap: :smiley_worship:

LOL
I opposed it at first but became pro-like simply due to how absurd and flustered the anti-like people were acting.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This site mostly died because people found you could have something like it on Facebook. Since most everyone was already there they thought it a good idea. I wasn’t a fan because we couldn’t have discussions like we did in the early years.

I thought it worth saving as it had some good discussions and some really good Q and A sessions with some really interesting people.

I am glad it is being used and hope people find it fun and informative.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

deleted by : laffite
Last edited by laffite on February 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 12:33 pm
Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:33 am
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:30 am

The status quo of this board was that is was basically defunct. If it was so vital, why did almost every one desert it for years? We have brought it back to life. With her references to recreational drugs, I'm beginning to think that our friend has some connection to the Masha of Chekhov's The Seagull, who says this right at the top of that great play:

Please, if you're miserable, just don't take it out on us. I do recognize that your vituperative posts may have been written whilst "under the influence."
Swithin, you are wrong on all counts. I am not miserable and your suggestion that I am drinking is uncalled for as well as being wrong. I am insulted by that. And I ABSOLUTELY REPUDIATE the grievously erroneous notion that I am somehow lashing out at "us." I have retaliated against a person who has consistently antagonized me for weeks. And I have received a warning for that. And now I see that said person who now has his beloved LIKE button gleefully I'm sure uses it for a NEGATIVE purpose.
Laffite! I was referring to Masha! You are not named for a Chekhovian character! I value your posts highly! (I can see how you misunderstood, since I was responding to your post rather than hers!) And she has referred to drug use, hence my mention of that. I can now see how my post was badly phrased, since I used the pronoun "you," and I was responding to your post. But I meant the other person. Apologies for the confusion.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 12:35 pm
Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:33 am

Swithin, you are wrong on all counts. I am not miserable and your suggestion that I am drinking is uncalled for as well as being wrong. I am insulted by that. And I ABSOLUTELY REPUDIATE the grievously erroneous notion that I am somehow lashing out at "us." I have retaliated against a person who has consistently antagonized me for weeks. And I have received a warning for that. And now I see that said person who now has his beloved LIKE button gleefully I'm sure uses it for a NEGATIVE purpose.
Laffite! I was referring to Masha! You are not named for a Chekhovian character! I value your posts highly! (I can see how you misunderstood, since I was responding to your post rather than hers!) And she has referred to drug use, hence my mention of that.
Oh so sorry. Yes I misunderstood. And the fact it was liked by .... , through me off too.

Thanks, Swithin. A thousand apologies, I take it all back. And that was a kind remark you made.

Speaking of Chekhov, I once attended a The Cherry Orchard in the upper east side, 79th street, a community theater production performed by a young and motley group. This fellow who played Pischik was phenomenal (he was age appropriate). I regret not having talked to him afterward... I swear, he was fit for Broadway. Since ever, I have been drawn to that character. I would love to play it. Ian McNeice does a wonderful job in the 1998 movie. You may remember him if you saw the movie. I just looked him up for spelling and was partially stunned by the knowledge that he is the same actor who played Bert Large in Doc Martin. I love little revelations like that.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:21 pm
Speaking of Chekhov, I once attended a The Cherry Orchard in the upper east side, 79th street, a community theater production performed by a young and motley group. This fellow who played Pischik was phenomenal (he was age appropriate). I regret not having talked to him afterward... I swear, he was fit for Broadway. Since ever, I have been drawn to that character. I would love to play it. Ian McNeice does a wonderful job in the 1998 movie. You may remember him if you saw the movie. I just looked him up for spelling and was partially stunned by the knowledge that he is the same actor who played Bert Large in Doc Martin. I love little revelations like that.
Further speaking of Chekhov, although I tend to prefer British productions of his plays, the best Cherry Orchard I've ever seen was done at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 1988. Directed by Peter Brook, it starred his wife Natasha Parry and also featured Brian Dennehy, Erland Josephson, Linda Hunt, Zeljko Ivanek, and David Pierce (later adding Hyde to his name).

I've seen productions in London with Vanessa Redgrave, Judi Dench, and Zoe Wanamaker, all well done, but I prefer Peter Brook's production at BAM.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Far be it from me to dictate SSO discussions, so please consider this message a polite suggestion.

The Like button -- to my amazement and puzzlement -- has been a divisive topic on the SSO. Discussions about it eventually devolve into heated and nasty squabbling, and this topic is headed in that direction.

Two moderators have expressed the hope that SSO members can move on from debates about the Like button to the type of topics for which the SSO was created: movies.

We have a Like button. Like it, don't like it. Use it, don't use it. The button is here. Lomm has graciously granted the request of those members who wanted the button (again, Thank you, Lomm!). End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned. Let's move on. To purloin a TCM slogan . . .

Let's movie!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:49 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:21 pm

Further speaking of Chekhov, although I tend to prefer British productions of his plays, the best Cherry Orchard I've ever seen was done at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 1988. Directed by Peter Brook, it starred his wife Natasha Parry and also featured Brian Dennehy, Erland Josephson, Linda Hunt, Zeljko Ivanek, and David Pierce (later adding Hyde to his name).

I've seen productions in London with Vanessa Redgrave, Judi Dench, and Zoe Wanamaker, all well done, but I prefer Peter Brook's production at BAM.
Let me guess, Dennehy as Lopahin, Josephson as Gaev, my guess for Linda Hunt would probably be Anya first choice, or maybe Dunyasha, she's too pretty for Varya (Sorry, Varya. Well it's you own fault, you had your chance with Lopahin and you both blew it, ha) In the other you mention, Zoe would make an excellent Varya (no offense Zoe, you are not the conventional beauty, but you have a fascinating, vibrant and interesting face, a perfect Varya. I can see you clenching your hands with anguish and saying, "Oh, if I'm not doing something I'll go crazy?"). Redgrave no doubt Anya, and Dench no doubt Lubov Andreyevna.

[the formatting is weird. i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.