Like Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
jimimac71

Re: Like Button

Post by jimimac71 »

I attempt to avoid quoting. It can get confusing rather quickly. My sloppy eyesight doesn't help.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:49 pm
Let me guess, Dennehy as Lopahin, Josephson as Gaev, my guess for Linda Hunt would probably be Anya first choice, or maybe Dunyasha, she's too pretty for Varya (Sorry, Varya. Well it's you own fault, you had your chance with Lopahin and you both blew it, ha) In the other you mention, Zoe would make an excellent Varya (no offense Zoe, you are not the conventional beauty, but you have a fascinating, vibrant and interesting face, a perfect Varya. I can see you clenching your hands with anguish and saying, "Oh, if I'm not doing something I'll go crazy?"). Redgrave no doubt Anya, and Dench no doubt Lubov Andreyevna.

[the formatting is weird. i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.

And this dear King, is because of the old style formatting at this website, and as I recall something jimimac recently making note of in another thread.

(...yep, all these little "bracket/quote/closed bracket...bracket/slash/quote/closed bracket" and where they should be placed on your posting page can INDEED get confusing at times)
Last edited by Dargo on February 18th, 2023, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 2:29 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:21 pm

Let me guess, Dennehy as Lopahin, Josephson as Gaev, my guess for Linda Hunt would probably be Anya first choice, or maybe Dunyasha, she's too pretty for Varya (Sorry, Varya. Well it's you own fault, you had your chance with Lopahin and you both blew it, ha) In the other you mention, Zoe would make an excellent Varya (no offense Zoe, you are not the conventional beauty, but you have a fascinating, vibrant and interesting face, a perfect Varya. I can see you clenching your hands with anguish and saying, "Oh, if I'm not doing something I'll go crazy?"). Redgrave no doubt Anya, and Dench no doubt Lubov Andreyevna.

[the formatting is weird. i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.
I still find quoting threads that have already been quoting a mystery! Here's the cast for that production, but first, the last lines of Frank Rich's review from The New York Times:

"That's the human comedy, and, if it isn't riotously funny, one feels less alone in the solitary plight, indeed exhilarated, watching it unfold on stage as honestly and buoyantly and poetically as a dream. This is a Cherry Orchard that pauses for breath only when life does, for people to recoup after dying a little. I think Mr. Brook has given us the Chekhov production that every theatergoer fantasizes about but, in my experience, almost never finds."

Lopakhin...Brian Dennehy
Dunyasha...Kate Mailer
Yepikhodov...Jan Triska
Firs...Roberts Blossom
Anya...Rebecca Miller (Daughter of Arthur Miller; Wife of Daniel Day-Lewis)
Lyubov Ranyevskaya..Natasha Parry
Varya...Stephanie Roth
Gaev...Erland Josephson
Charlotta...Linda Hunt
Pishchik...Mike Nussbaum
Yasha...David Hyde) Pierce
Trofimov...Zeljko Ivanek
Passer-by...Howard Hensel
Stationmaster...Chris McNally

In the other productions I mentioned (it was three separate productions), those three ladies played Lyubov Ranyevskaya. In the Dench production (1989), Michael Gough was Firs, Lesley Manville was Varya; in the Redgrave production (2000), Corin Redgrave was Gaev, Ben Miles was Trofimov, Roger Allam was Lopakhin; in the Zoe Wanamaker production (2011), Conleth Hill was Lopakhin.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 1:21 pm

I still find quoting threads that have already been quoted a mystery! Here's the cast for the Peter Brook production, but first, the last lines of Frank Rich's review from The New York Times:

"That's the human comedy, and, if it isn't riotously funny, one feels less alone in the solitary plight, indeed exhilarated, watching it unfold on stage as honestly and buoyantly and poetically as a dream. This is a Cherry Orchard that pauses for breath only when life does, for people to recoup after dying a little. I think Mr. Brook has given us the Chekhov production that every theatergoer fantasizes about but, in my experience, almost never finds."

Lopakhin...Brian Dennehy
Dunyasha...Kate Mailer
Yepikhodov...Jan Triska
Firs...Roberts Blossom
Varya...Stephanie Roth
Gaev...Erland Josephson
Charlotta...Linda Hunt
Pishchik...Mike Nussbaum
Trofimov...Zeljko Ivanek

In the other productions I mentioned (it was three separate productions), those three ladies played Lyubov Ranyevskaya. In the Dench production (1989), Michael Gough was Firs, Lesley Manville was Varya; in the Redgrave production (2000), Corin Redgrave was Gaev, Ben Miles was Trofimov, Roger Allam was Lopakhin; in the Zoe Wanamaker production (2011), Conleth Hill was Lopakhin.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

You guys are driving me nuts with your quoting mismanagement. :lol:
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: February 18th, 2023, 3:07 pm You guys are driving me nuts with your quoting mismanagement. :lol:
I have no problem with it, unless I'm quoting something that has already been quoted. I use the "Preview" function to look at what I've typed, and it's still hard to get it right!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Where I come from LawrenceA, if you can't fix it, deal with it.
My first computer, after my Tandy Color Computer (mostly a toy), was a laptop I called Larry.
Name based on the game Leisure Suit Larry. An adult DOS based game.
With DOS, you just had to live with it and figure out little fixes.
We can't expect anyone to fix how this forum works.
Dargo is correct. I did comment about the code used here and it being outdated.
I don't know how to code, but can see how creating a post is not graphical.
You edit using code then are allowed to preview.
I'm slowly figuring things out, I hope.
I can post pictures, videos and make the text bigger.
WooHo!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

In any case, since the "Like" button issue has been happily been taken care of, I don't mind continuing off-topic and posting this link to Frank Rich's review of Peter Brook's 1988 production of The Cherry Orchard.

https://sites.broadviewpress.com/lesson ... print.html
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 3:06 pm

I still find quoting threads that have already been quoted a mystery! Here's the cast for the Peter Brook production, but first, the last lines of Frank Rich's review from The New York Times:

Lopakhin...Brian Dennehy
Dunyasha...Kate Mailer
Yepikhodov...Jan Triska
Firs...Roberts Blossom
Varya...Stephanie Roth
Gaev...Erland Josephson
Charlotta...Linda Hunt
Pishchik...Mike Nussbaum
Trofimov...Zeljko Ivanek

Thanks for all that. Interesting.

I see Elizabeth Dennehy (daughter) once in a while on an online open mic that comes from England. Anybody can come, so no inference that I would remotely equated with her. She is an accomplished actress with an impressive resume and I have done nothing but community theater and not known at all. (Oh wait, I did something for the San Diego Repertory, I played Hans Bethe In the Matter of J.R. Oppenheimer. I had virtually no resume, a couple of gigs, and I was cast because I looked like him, ha!). It's an open mic and this really open, anybody can come. I wonder perchance you may know her. Another lady who attends on occasion is Danielle Farrow, also accomplished and a splendid actress. She has worked in England I'm sure. Perchance you may know her as well.
"Pippo"
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Swithin mentioned Judi Dench. I recently read she can no longer act.
Her Macular Degeneration is advanced to where she cannot read scripts.
Of all the things she has been in, I love her in "As Time Goes By."
A show called "A Fine Romance" is good too.
I don't really care one way or another about the like button.
To quote Victor in Victor/Victoria, "such a fuss."
From the scene where Victor and Toddy sing "You are Me" at Chez Lui.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Judi was brilliant as Dunyasha in a BBC version of the early 70s I believe. The one with Dame Peggy Ashcroft :smiley_heartbounce: and Sir John Gielgud, Ian Holm as Petya (the student) and Dorothy Tutin as the frustrated Varya. Today's theme for me today seems to be Chekhov.

[The Heart emoticon is gross. All that pulsating. I don't want to **** her, I just want to represent her as sweetness. I have actually photographed emotions from TCM (the ones that you can enlarge) and they might work here. I like them because they are all not moving.]
"Pippo"
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Here is a list of the plays I've seen Judi Dench in, not in any particular order:

The Gay Lord Quex (Pinero; Directed by John Gielgud) with Daniel Massey and Sian Phillips
Pillars of the Community (Ibsen) with Ian McKellen
Comedy of Errors (musical)
The Boys from Syracuse (as Director)
The Cherry Orchard
The Seagull
Amy's View (David Hare)
Gift of the Gorgon (Peter Shaffer)
The Winter's Tale (as Paulina)
A Little Night Music (as Desiree)
Absolute Hell (Ackland)
Hamlet (as Gertrude) with Daniel Day-Lewis
Semi-Monde (Noel Coward. Benefit performance that everyone was in, including her husband, daughter, and dog).
Antony and Cleopatra (Cleopatra) with Anthony Hopkins
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:20 pm ...Today's theme for me today seems to be Chekhov.
Well in that case here laffite, I have always wondered where this guys falls in the Enterprise's Chain of Command.

And so how about answer to this before midnight strikes and you then have a new theme for tomorrow?

(...oh wait...never mind...different guy here, huh) ;)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:47 pm Here is a list of the plays I've seen Judi Dench in, not in any particular order:

The Gay Lord Quex (Pinero; Directed by John Gielgud) with Daniel Massey and Sian Phillips
Pillars of the Community (Ibsen) with Ian McKellen
Comedy of Errors (musical)
The Boys from Syracuse (as Director)
The Cherry Orchard
The Seagull
Amy's View (David Hare)
Gift of the Gorgon (Peter Shaffer)
The Winter's Tale (as Paulina)
A Little Night Music (as Desiree)
Absolute Hell (Ackland)
Hamlet (as Gertrude) with Daniel Day-Lewis
Semi-Monde (Noel Coward. Benefit performance that everyone was in, including her husband, daughter, and dog).
Antony and Cleopatra (Cleopatra) with Anthony Hopkins
I'm jealous. Or envious. I have seen virtually nothing comparison. When in New York I saw Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman in the title role and John Malkovich as Biff. And Joe Mantegna in that play that he is famous for, what is it? ... Modern author? 1985. I cannot recall enough information to search with.

I think you said recently that you were not particularly or at all a fan of Annette Bening, and I may mentioned this before. In The Seagull (2018) she played Irina Arkadina and she has a scene where she has to convince her much younger lover to abandon the idea of leaving her for young Nina. I count this as one of the most difficult scenes I know. Most actresses resort to the stereotypical pleading and begging, thus diminishing herself. Bening maintains her dignity and actually PERSUADES Trigorin to stay with her without incurring suspension of disbelief. Great job.

Anyway, Swithin ; I envy your great opportunities, bouncing across and pond and then bouncing back to NYC. Always glad to hear of your experiences.

I console myself for living more vicariously, profiting from the Net for advantages in what it has to offer.
Last edited by laffite on February 18th, 2023, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pippo"
Masha

Post by Masha »

i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.

I believe that the most common problem is that there can be several empty lines between the end of the quoted text and the: '/quote' in brackets which actually closes the text. Typing into that empty space makes it look as if your entry is part of what you quoted. You must ensure that you are outside the nest.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya