The Naked Jungle (1954)

wmcclain

The Naked Jungle (1954)

Post by wmcclain »

The Naked Jungle (1954), directed by Byron Haskin.

Brazil 1901: an arranged bride shows up at a remote cocoa plantation to meet her husband, an unpleasant and tyrannical but fiercely manly man. Their relations are... difficult. He's tough but she's no pushover.

This much is a woman's romance novel: you can just imagine the lurid, semi-clothed covers. She has to find her way and make a place while retaining a sense of self-worth. She's anxious to please but won't be abused.

What's his problem? He's a tough guy virgin and is intimidated when he finds she was married before. He's sexually desperate but won't touch her until one night when he's really drunk.

In a strange plot twist it shifts into a survival thriller. Something evil approaches, which we eventually learn is a giant army of ants that destroys everything in its path. (I skipped this as a kid because at first I thought the TV Guide said "an army of giant ants" and was then disgusted by the lack of science fiction content). We have elaborate action and special effects scenes as they try to save the plantation (and themselves!) against the swarm.

Eleanor Parker, last seen in Caged (1950) is, frankly, stunning. I have always liked Charlton Heston, but his performances tend to be one-note: intense, filled with pride and ambition and pain, but always sort of "full on".

That's a pretty damned opulent plantation house. Did he decorate it himself? All the furnishings had to be hauled 2000 miles upriver and I don't know how he managed the stone columns.

Edith Head costumes. Produced by George Pal.

The Technicolor registration looks a bit off; a restoration might be gorgeous.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
jamesjazzguitar

Re: The Naked Jungle (1954)

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Yes, Parker is very stunning, and filmed well in glorious color, but the plot is too much of a soap opera.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 8th, 2023, 10:51 am Yes, Parker is very stunning, and filmed well in glorious color
But William Conrad looks terrible in shorts.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm fond of the film. It's based on a story we read in school: "Leiningen Versus the Ants." It is indeed about a man who feels he is sexually inadequate, who is mortified when he discovers that his mail-order bride is not a virgin. There is a crisis, and he comes to terms with his fears.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Swithin wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:35 pm I'm fond of the film. It's based on a story we read in school: "Leiningen Versus the Ants." It is indeed about a man who feels he is sexually inadequate, who is mortified when he discovers that his mail-order bride is not a virgin. There is a crisis, and he comes to terms with his fears.
Just to clarify, the short story is only about Leiningen battling the ants. There is no love interest. Obviously the filmmakers had to pad the story, and I don't object to the addition of Eleanor Parker, who looks great in this.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

scsu1975 wrote: April 8th, 2023, 4:26 pm Just to clarify, the short story is only about Leiningen battling the ants. There is no love interest. Obviously the filmmakers had to pad the story, and I don't object to the addition of Eleanor Parker, who looks great in this.
The ants are the whole show as far as I'm concerned.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

scsu1975 wrote: April 8th, 2023, 4:26 pm
Swithin wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:35 pm I'm fond of the film. It's based on a story we read in school: "Leiningen Versus the Ants." It is indeed about a man who feels he is sexually inadequate, who is mortified when he discovers that his mail-order bride is not a virgin. There is a crisis, and he comes to terms with his fears.
Just to clarify, the short story is only about Leiningen battling the ants. There is no love interest. Obviously the filmmakers had to pad the story, and I don't object to the addition of Eleanor Parker, who looks great in this.
Yes, the addition of the wife and Leiningen's possible impotence and feelings of inadequacy were added for the movie. We read the story in grade school, which we wouldn't have done, had it included all that steamy sex (or steamy lack of sex).
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Swithin wrote: April 8th, 2023, 4:53 pm
Yes, the addition of the wife and Leiningen's possible impotence and feelings of inadequacy were added for the movie. We read the story in grade school, which we wouldn't have done, had it included all that steamy sex (or steamy lack of sex).
I read it in school as well. Of course, if the story had been steamy, it would probably be required reading today in elementary school.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

scsu1975 wrote: April 8th, 2023, 5:51 pm I read it in school as well. Of course, if the story had been steamy, it would probably be required reading today in elementary school.
Kindergarten. Certain "educators" seem to think they're never too young to be groomed.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Eleanor Parker was extraordinary beautiful in the film, my avatar is Parker then unknown in 1942, in the film she is a mature sexy woman