‘The Pope’s Exorcist’....

ziggy6708a

‘The Pope’s Exorcist’....

Post by ziggy6708a »

‘The Pope’s Exorcist’ Review: The Power of Christ (and Russell Crowe) Mostly Compels You in Yet Another Possession Chiller

As a heavily fictionalized Father Gabriele Amorth, the star's droll performance props up this weakly scripted dial-a-demon horror until a riotous high-Catholic-camp finale.

"......Even Catholics in high places, it turns out, have a sense of humor: You needn’t wait for the “work of fiction” disclaimer in the closing credits to discern that “The Pope’s Exorcist” is ripely fantastical trash, inspired by Amorth’s work in much the same way that SunnyD is inspired by Florida oranges, and no less enjoyable for those liberties. Rather than the Bible or any of Amorth’s autobiographies, Julius Avery’s film instead swears by the trusty story template shaped by every demonic-possession horror film since “The Exorcist” a full half-century ago, as a hapless American teen is inhabited by an ancient minion of Satan with increasingly yucky, upchucky consequences, while a venerable priest is called upon to clear up the mess. ....

It’s Crowe, amid all this cheerful bad taste, who approaches the material with something like class: Ever the Richard Burton of our age, and now sealing the parallel with his own “Exorcist” knockoff, he brings a regal bearing and grimacing, off-script air of resignation to Amorth that both dignifies the film and meets it precisely at its level, matching molten cheese with well-cured ham. It’s not every actor who can repeat “our sins will seek us out” a dozen times in a cod-Italian accent while maintaining both composure and a twitch of mirth. If this hysterical hackwork has any soul at all, Crowe just about saves it.....

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/t ... 235576547/

:smiley_huh:

was "mr6666" @ TCM
jameselliot

Re: ‘The Pope’s Exorcist’....

Post by jameselliot »

After The Exorcist, the Italian movie industry vomited about a dozen knockoffs, Ossessa, House of Exorcism (with Telly Savalas and Robert Alda), Beyond The Door, etc. Most of them followed the same routine as the original. This Pope film is no different, it just has better production quality. A new trilogy of Exorcism films is planned with the first entry starring Ellen Burstyn and supposedly Linda Blair. Shake that Exorcist money bag for a few more coins.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

It was a toss-up (regarding actually going to a movie theatre) between The Pope's Exorcist and Renfield this past weekend. I chose Renfield, which I consider 100% Grade A, U.S. Prime garbage.

Concerning House of Exorcism, it was a ruinous bastardization of Lisa and the Devil, a surreal phantasmagoria directed by Mario Bava.

I enjoyed (but didn't love) The Exorcist and have seen but a few of the rip-offs and knock-offs it begat. On the whole, movies about exorcisms are not my cup of tea. Watching people vomit is not my idea of a good time.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

EP Millstone wrote: April 19th, 2023, 6:42 pm It was a toss-up (regarding actually going to a movie theatre) between The Pope's Exorcist and Renfield this past weekend. I chose Renfield, which I consider 100% Grade A, U.S. Prime garbage.

Concerning House of Exorcism, it was a ruinous bastardization of Lisa and the Devil, a surreal phantasmagoria directed by Mario Bava.

I enjoyed (but didn't love) The Exorcist and have seen but a few of the rip-offs and knock-offs it begat. On the whole, movies about exorcisms are not my cup of tea. Watching people vomit is not my idea of a good time.

There's a DVD interview with Alfredo Leone explaining why he hired Alda to play the priest and shoot exorcist footage to edit into Lisa and the Devil. Bava's film lost money so he tried to save his investment. Bava was not happy, of course.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jameselliot wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:21 pm . . . There's a DVD interview with Alfredo Leone explaining why he hired Alda to play the priest and shoot exorcist footage to edit into Lisa and the Devil. Bava's film lost money so he tried to save his investment. Bava was not happy, of course.
I've got that (Image Entertainment) DVD -- long overdue for another viewing and another listen to Leone's commentary.

I've been criticized, in the history books and throughout the motion picture industry, for "butchering", as they call it, a beautiful film (Lisa and the Devil (1973)). Well, I never thought I butchered it. I thought we should have been complimented... not because I did it, but because it was a good piece of work. However, I understand where the critics are coming from. They're speaking of art and culture, and there was no art or culture in The House of Exorcism (1975). True, true. It was done for commercial purposes... but I think it was done well. -- Alfredo Leone

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields