Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)

wmcclain

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)

Post by wmcclain »

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), directed by David Lynch.

Wherein we investigate the death of Teresa Banks and, one year later, the harrowing final week of Laura Palmer's life. Meant to be watched after the original series, or at the very least, after you know who killed Laura.

The first season was an international sensation, but the second season collapsed after the big plot reveal. Lynch was away and displeased with what was done with the show. The feature film was his chance to revisit that world, breaking the constraints of television, making it R-rated and even weirder.

I remember reading and writing vast volumes of obsessive speculation back then, most of it forgotten now. Is there a coherent single theory of Twin Peaks? I doubt it. Too many loose threads. Unexplained and perhaps unexplainable mysteries. Says Lynch: the movie is about "the loneliness, shame, guilt, confusion and devastation of the victim of incest. It also dealt with the torment of the father -- the war within him."

Critics and audiences were unkind, but despite the bizzaro treatment and Lynchian self-indulgence, I like this one. If you were ever fascinated with his Twin Peaks creation, you can't help wanting to see more, to go in deeper, chase the mystery...

...until you think: "You know, mental illness is sad and frightening. Maybe I don't want to pursue this any further". That's a scary movie.

We see many episodes in Laura Palmer's road to ruin, partly self-destruction and partly due to demonic forces beyond her control. The final minutes build to scenes both horrific and amazing, with poor Ronette begging God's forgiveness in the rail car and an angel appearing to release her. Then another angel (and a different actress) appears to Dale and Laura in the Red Room, and they seem happy. I don't know what it means. Lynch often ends with a glimpse of Heaven.

Notes:
  • The first scene is of a TV being smashed, a pointed message from Lynch.
  • Laura shows a sort of psychotic coked-up transitive logic: she knows that "Mike is the Man", but that the deputy from Deer Meadow is also "the Man", so she can truthfully inform Bobby: "You killed Mike".
  • Note how Deer Meadow is a dark reflection of Twin Peaks, with its unfriendly police station and bad diner.
  • I'd forgotten Lynch's metaphysical terror of electricity.
  • A favorite moment: Harry Dean Stanton, as desolated as I have ever seen him, bleakly saying "You see, I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am".
  • A heart-rending moment: Leland seems to come to himself, hugs his daughter and tells her he loves her. Crying, she asks the angel in the little painting: "Is it true?"
  • I always thought of Lynch as an intuitive director, throwing in things he had no idea what they meant, maybe working it out later. That's surrealism.
  • Much of the emotion comes from Angelo Badalamenti; that guy can score. He and Lynch seem perfectly attuned.
  • In one of the deleted scene we see Agent Cooper talking to "Diane" in the office, although we never see her. I always wondered if "Diane" wasn't the name of his tape recorder.
  • In another deleted scene, David Bowie as Agent Jeffries delivers perhaps the most terrifying theory of all: "We live in a dream".
Available on Blu-ray, disc 9 in "The Entire Mystery" box set.

As an outstanding extra we have 90 minutes of high-quality deleted scenes. I think it was proper not to try to insert them into an extended cut, but they fill in some spaces and let us visit that world yet one more time.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Intrepid37

Re: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)

Post by Intrepid37 »

One problem for me was the replacement of Lara Flynn Boyle with Moira Kelly as Donna. I know I should be able to accept a different person playing a fictional role, but I guess I'd become too close to the original casting and this change put me off the story to a point I had real trouble getting past.

There are other feelings that make it a somewhat unpleasant experience to watch - the sheer dirtiness of Laura that is exposed to us really competes with one's initial desire to sympathize with her, and to believe in all that love directed at her by so many. I realize, though, that that is very much a part of my own judgmental nature vis-a-vis sleazy female behavior. I also realize that it was supposed to be due to her being possessed by evil forces.

All in all, though - while I love Lynch and all his weirdness, there's something about this "chapter" of the Twin Peaks saga that just doesn't digest for me.

Nevertheless, when revisiting everything Twin Peaks, I would never skip over this one. They're all needed, even though any real understanding will never really come.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 4th, 2023, 2:44 pm Nevertheless, when revisiting everything Twin Peaks, I would never skip over this one. They're all needed, even though any real understanding will never really come.
That guy with a question mark on his cap becomes the perfect avatar for you then!

The critics are correct in describing Lynch as "self indulgent". He doesn't make a story coherent for anyone but himself...is this his way of intriguing the viewer? While I like stories that don't spoon feed you the storyline (like 2001 A Space Odyssey) Twin Peaks seems like it's going for offensive shocks rather than communicating a story.

It didn't work for me, although I enjoy the fantastic, oddball insertions of "weird nightmare" at times.
I just don't care about the charactors. There just isn't enough "normal-ness" for me to recognise or care about any of the charactors.

I think it was Badalamenti's music that initially sucked me into Twin Peaks. I have a decent library of his mostly soundtrack scores and that is far more satisfying than watching that mess of a production.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I loved David Lynch's weirdness with Twin Peaks, both show and movie. I haven't gotten around to his reboot sequel series yet though. But I have acquired and watched a 4 hour cut of this film with all the deleted scenes added back into place. That was a long night. :lol:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:37 am That guy with a question mark on his cap becomes the perfect avatar for you then!
Mysterion is a Batman-like superhero whose secret power is consistently returning from being killed. When not in his superhero guise, he is the coolest regular person in his particular group of friends.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Lomm wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:38 am I loved David Lynch's weirdness with Twin Peaks, both show and movie. I haven't gotten around to his reboot sequel series yet though. But I have acquired and watched a 4 hour cut of this film with all the deleted scenes added back into place. That was a long night. :lol:
Watch the reboot series. It's awesome.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 9:30 am
Lomm wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:38 am I loved David Lynch's weirdness with Twin Peaks, both show and movie. I haven't gotten around to his reboot sequel series yet though. But I have acquired and watched a 4 hour cut of this film with all the deleted scenes added back into place. That was a long night. :lol:
Watch the reboot series. It's awesome.
Oh I absolutely plan to, just haven't gotten around to it yet. There is so much content out there these days I want to see.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

I liked it a lot. The Critics are full of it. Different strokes for different folks. The Noirsville (NSFW) review https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2020/08 ... 2-neo.html
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I actually saw this film before I saw the series (all 30 original 1990-1991 episodes), and it is definitely grungy and uncomfortable, but it is a haunting film, and Sheryl Lee is excellent here. The film itself feels almost like a hard-R rated tragic opera.