August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Stella Stevens and Jackie Cooper, out of the box choices! Stella is adorable and memorable in THE NUTTY PROFESSOR. I haven't seen a lot of her films but she is very good in THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE. As for Jackie, I've never seen his iconic 1931 THE CHAMP but I believe that's what made him famous as a child star. (that mean old b****** Wallace Beery treated Jackie very badly but apparently Beery was like that with everybody)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I don't see A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and NIGHTMARE ALLEY this evening for Joan Blondell. Those two films are her best!

Also, for Ronald Colman, his Oscar winning A DOUBLE LIFE is absent on the list.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Who else thinks Katy Jurado is the best thing about HIGH NOON?

And who else is enjoying Ski Nose today? I even enjoy Bob's stale '60's sex comedies -- you know, BACHELOR IN PARADISE, I'LL TAKE SWEDEN, CALL ME BWANA, A GLOBAL AFFAIR (airing later tonight), BOY DID I GET A WRONG NUMBER with the frightening Phyllis Diller and a few others of this ilk whose titles escape me at the moment. THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS did not make the line-up but what else is new.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 7:18 pm Who else thinks Katy Jurado is the best thing about HIGH NOON?

And who else is enjoying Ski Nose today? I even enjoy Bob's stale '60's sex comedies -- you know, BACHELOR IN PARADISE, I'LL TAKE SWEDEN, CALL ME BWANA, A GLOBAL AFFAIR (airing later tonight), BOY DID I GET A WRONG NUMBER with the frightening Phyllis Diller and a few others of this ilk whose titles escape me at the moment. THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS did not make the line-up but what else is new.
I agree that Katy Jurado is the best thing about High Noon. For me in most of the films she was in, she stands out above the star level actors.

I wished TCM had shown some of the Mexican films she was in, subtitles and all.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on August 17th, 2023, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I wished that too, james! Katy was a very fine actress.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 7:18 pm Who else thinks Katy Jurado is the best thing about HIGH NOON?

I'm recording The Ghost Breakers, My Favorite Blonde, and My Favorite Brunette. I've seen them all, but I can never remember which is which.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I get them confused as well! Then there's also MY FAVORITE SPY with Hedy Lamarr.

I've got NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH on right now and will stay up for the rest.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on August 17th, 2023, 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I wonder why they can't obtain ROAD TO RIO. It never airs. I vaguely remember Gale Sondergaard plays an evil aunt or other family member of Dorothy's, and attempts to hypnotize her in order to obtain Lamour's fortune or something along those lines.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 7:44 pm I get them confused as well! Then there's also MY FAVORITE SPY with Hedy Lamarr.

I've got NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH on right now and will stay up for the rest.
I forgot about My Favorite Spy! Confused about which that is as well.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Saw it once years ago but don't remember anything about it.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

cmovieviewer wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:46 am TCM has posted a preliminary schedule for August, 2023. By tradition, the theme is Summer Under the Stars, where a different actor is featured each day throughout the month. Here is an overview of the schedule:

Aug 1 - Lucille Ball
Aug 2 - Anthony Perkins
Aug 3 - Stella Stevens
Aug 4 - Jackie Cooper
Aug 5 - Errol Flynn
Aug 6 - Debbie Reynolds
Aug 7 - Robert Ryan
Aug 8 - Joan Blondell
Aug 9 - The Nicholas Brothers
Aug 10 - Rhonda Fleming
Aug 11 - Alan Ladd
Aug 12 - Deborah Kerr
Aug 13 - Paul Newman
Aug 14 - Greer Garson
Aug 15 - Ronald Colman
Aug 16 - Katy Jurado
Aug 17 - Bob Hope
Aug 18 - Carole Lombard
Aug 19 - Fred Astaire
Aug 20 - Barbara Stanwyck
Aug 21 - James Stewart
Aug 22 - Geraldine Chaplin
Aug 23 - Vincent Price
Aug 24 - Loretta Young
Aug 25 - Ernest Borgnine
Aug 26 - Doris Day
Aug 27 - Humphrey Bogart
Aug 28 - Ann Sheridan
Aug 29 - Woody Strode
Aug 30 - Sophia Loren
Aug 31 - John Carradine

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
-usually, doesn't SUTS feature a 'token' foreign (S. Loren, Jurado), African-American (Nicholas Bros., W. Strode) & SILENT star ??

Wondering WHY No Silents being featured?
:smiley_huh:

was "mr6666" @ TCM
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

-usually, doesn't SUTS feature a 'token' foreign (S. Loren, Jurado), African-American (Nicholas Bros., W. Strode) & SILENT star ??

Wondering WHY No Silents being featured?
:smiley_huh:

They did show THE WHITE SISTER (1923) on Ronald Colman day, so at least there was a single silent film during the month.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Vincent Price today!! (Loved THE BARON OF ARIZONA)

I am definitely on board starting at Prime Time with HOUSE OF WAX followed by THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL.

Then later on, THE TINGLER!

They will all be a much better and stress-free alternative to a certain political event that will occur tonight and only cause indigestion. (Life is too short! So watch the Vinnies!)
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I'm so excited about Loretta Young day today. I'm finally back from my business trip and have a couple days off before the weekend, before needing to return to work Monday. Loretta is someone I just discovered last year (previously I'd only known her from "The Bishop's Wife," the Clark Gable scandal, and the story about her swear jar). I love her precodes. It's refreshing to see her in roles outside of her "Saint Loretta" production code image. I especially love "Midnight Mary," "Taxi!" and "Employees Entrance." I wish they were showing my personal favorite Loretta precode, "She Had to Say Yes."
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com