Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Dargo

Re: Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 5:42 pm
(...oh and FWIW...I do not have anything against the New York Times...nope, I'm NOT one of those morons who think that publication is "The Enemy of The People"...nope, I JUST don't want to have to subscribe to it, THAT'S all...okay SURE, call me "CHEAP" if ya want!) LOL
laffite wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:55 pm
Yer CHEAP !!!

:director: Dargo is a penny pincher. Move over JackB.

:smiley_innocent:
LOL

"WELL!"
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I did just discover one way around it, using MS Edge (a browser I normally don't use). They have something called Immersive Reader, which seems to allow you to read an article after you've clicked on it.

The icon appears on my browser at the top right set of icons and looks like an open book with a little speaker symbol below it. Clicking on it after you've opened the article brings it up in the immersive reader window. Alternatively, you can press F9 on a Wintel machine.

This appears to be a bug. It also seems to be in beta/trial testing, because MS Edge has a banner at the bottom saying "Thanks for trying out Immersive Reader." and asks you for an up/down feedback.

Immersive Reader was intended for people with dyslexia and dysgraphia, according to their info page, and it simplifies/declutters web pages to make them easier to read.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Ya know, doncha Tex, that even though I've just given you those "like" responses to your last few postings, you've been talkin' WAY over my head (tech-wise) in 'em!

(...but thanks for explainin' all this anyway...you're a good man...for a Texan, anyway) ;)

LOL
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:16 pm Ya know, doncha Tex, that even though I've just given you those "like" responses to your last few postings, you've been talkin' WAY over my head (tech-wise) in 'em!

(...but thanks for explainin' all this anyway...you're a good man...for a Texan, anyway) ;)

LOL
The simple version:

Use Microsoft Edge. Click on the article link. Press F9. Done.

:D
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:19 pm
Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 7:16 pm Ya know, doncha Tex, that even though I've just given you those "like" responses to your last few postings, you've been talkin' WAY over my head (tech-wise) in 'em!

LOL
The simple version:

Use Microsoft Edge. Click on the article link. Press F9. Done.

:D
Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LOL
I have given LIKES on some reviews of movies I haven't even seen. But the writing of it is so good ...

//
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Now don't be picking on my pal Dargo. <smile>
I subscribe to my local newspaper and it costs over $1/day.
I live north of San Francisco and everything is expensive.
Why the hey would I want a New York newspaper?
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I mostly use my tablet and not my PC.
I loathe Microsoft and the Edge browser is overrun with AI BS.
I only use MS Edge for reward points which turn into $10/month.
Sometimes donations too.
I need to try harder to become a Linux man.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Sepiatone wrote: June 12th, 2023, 11:56 am "In which month of the pregnancy does a woman start to look pregnant?" And the lady answered;
"September."
😆
Masha

Post by Masha »

The New York Times site requires either registration or subscription. They do not make it clear on front page how many articles you can read if you register only rather than paying them.

Such sites are useless to us. They use registration to track viewings and then skew article lists based on what their algorithms believe you will like. This taints the pool and serves only to reinforce a reader's viewpoint instead of presenting balanced and complete information.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: June 14th, 2023, 4:45 am

Such sites are useless to us. They use registration to track viewings and then skew article lists based on what their algorithms believe you will like. This taints the pool and serves only to reinforce a reader's viewpoint instead of presenting balanced and complete information.
Believe this is partly true. The web page presented at nytimes.com varies slightly based on who you are, from my experiment above where I was logged in on one browser as myself (as a subscriber), and another browser that I had never used to visit nytimes.com as was just a visitor.

The web pages were presented to me exactly the same, except for the section entitled "In Case You Missed It", which is subtitled as "Top picks from The Times, recommended for you." This section has 5 articles. The rest of the page was exactly the same in both browsers.

In either case, you can always click on "Today's Paper" which will get you the list of articles as it appeared in print, page by page, with no skewing based on past website views.

Of course, all news media have editors who curate what gets aired/printed/posted and what does not, as it has been since the invention of the printing press.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I was able to use the Reader feature on Firefox to get to the NYT article. Couldn't do so with Google Chrome.
My issue with MS, Edge and Bing is personal.
The Edge browser causes me nothing but troubles with iPad.
The AI feature turns itself on without my permission and overruns the screen.
On the plus side, Firefox can read aloud when in Reader mode. I think Edge does too.
Firefox isn't perfect, but I've been using it for decades.
Edge is built on Chromium, making it similar to the Chrome browser.
Many believe it is a resource hog, something Chrome has been accused of.
Firefox isn't perfect but is familiar and my favorite PC browser. (Windows 10)
Everything is different with mobile browsers.
I would like to see a thread about computing.
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, and if so, where does it belong?
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

AAAaaannnnd trying to get this back to being about game show hosts, and moving away from it being a computer operation tutorial.....

Who do you think will or should replace the departing Pat Sajak on WHEEL OF FORTUNE?

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

What makes this a fine forum is no one is constantly moderating for off topic posts.
As for Pat Sajak, Whoopi Goldberg wants it and some are suggesting Ryan Seacrest.
Let us remember Pat is not leaving until after the next season is over.
Both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! have been on TV long enough.
I cannot tolerate Steve Harvey. He screams too much. Then again, so did Richard Dawson.
As much as I'm not a fan of Ben Mankiewicz, he'd be perfect.
Same kind of acceptable humor as Pat.
The next person to host Wheel must also want to do the show.
Ben could probably make room in his schedule for it.
He might think it is beneath him.
I say let Ben host Jeopardy! instead.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 12:03 pm What makes this a fine forum is no one is constantly moderating for off topic posts.
As for Pat Sajak, Whoopi Goldberg wants it and some are suggesting Ryan Seacrest.
Let us remember Pat is not leaving until after the next season is over.
Both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! have been on TV long enough.
I cannot tolerate Steve Harvey. He screams too much. Then again, so did Richard Dawson.
As much as I'm not a fan of Ben Mankiewicz, he'd be perfect.
Same kind of acceptable humor as Pat.
The next person to host Wheel must also want to do the show.
Ben could probably make room in his schedule for it.
He might think it is beneath him.
I say let Ben host Jeopardy! instead.
WAIT a sec here, jimimac!

What, you don't ALREADY get enough of Ben's nasally voice while he's hostin' over at TCM???!!! LOL

Nope, first of all, Ben WOULD probably believe hosting WoF would be "beneath him" as you've said. And secondly (and besides his nasally voice...most prevalently heard, btw, whenever he pronounces the word "actor"...uh-huh, C'MON now, the guy ALWAYS sounds like that damn Aflac duck when he says "AKK-tor"...STILL can't believe that I'M the ONLY person who hears this???...ah, but I digress here...LOL) but to host WoF, I'd say one must give off the impression of being "one with the people", and sorry again, Ben has never given off that impression to me.

Now don't get me wrong here, as I DO actually like Ben, but I'd say he's best suited for his continued duty on TCM.

Now, I THINK I could see Pat's daughter Maggie hosting the show. She seems bright and attractive enough to do this.

(...I've just always wondered where she got her height from?...she towers over her dad whenever they're on stage together, ya know...must've been from her mother...yeah, it's gotta be)