The Apartment

GaryCooper

The Apartment

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Belle

Re: The Apartment

Post by Belle »

"The Apartment" is so very relevant today; more so, in fact, because the gratification of the self has become fetishized as a kind of religion. All under the aegis of freedom, of course; but freedom, dominated by the first person pronoun, to do absolutely anything you like, irrespective of the consequences or hurts for others. At least Wilder and Brackett recognized that amoral behaviour had been corporatized in 1960 and that there were still people like Miss Kubelik who stood for something worth believing in.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I never understood why Shirley was thought of as being so attractive. That's just me - I've never been the least bit attracted to her.

Lemmon's ultimate simp role. Embarrassing to watch, not to mention nauseating.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:43 am I never understood why Shirley was thought of as being so attractive. That's just me - I've never been the least bit attracted to her.

Well, she's certainly no...wait for it...SALOME JENS!!!

LOL

Look dude, while I know from past experience that differing with your opinion about something around here will often result in a contrankerous exchange, I am still moved to risk such a thing by saying in regard to all that you've said here that...and wait for it again...I could NOT disagree more with you about either Shirley MacLaine's relative attractiveness, Jack Lemmon's C.C. Baxter character being a "simp", or for that matter the overall greatest of this movie.

(...which happens to be my second all-time favorite film after 'The Best Years of Our Lives', and thus of course the very reason I've now taken the risk in openly stating my disagreement with your opinion(s) here)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Oh Dargo! You're Smooth!
I don't know Salome Jens, but was only a fan of the Original Star Trek.
Shirley is still with us. How cool is that!
Your favorite film gets a lot of love on TCM.
I prefer Irma La Douce and can live without The Children's Hour.
Fred MacMurray is a complete jackass in The Apartment.
Shirley has a pretty massive and exciting resume.
I'm always impressed with Jack Lemmon.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 16th, 2023, 11:22 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 10:43 am I never understood why Shirley was thought of as being so attractive. That's just me - I've never been the least bit attracted to her.

LOL

Look dude, while I know from past experience that differing with your opinion about something around here will often result in a contrankerous exchange, I am still moved to risk such a thing by saying in regard to all that you've said here that...and wait for it again...I could NOT disagree more with you about either Shirley MacLaine's relative attractiveness, Jack Lemmon's C.C. Baxter character being a "simp", or for that matter the overall greatest of this movie.

(...which happens to be my second all-time favorite film after 'The Best Years of Our Lives', and thus of course the very reason I've now taken the risk in openly stating my disagreement with your opinion(s) here)
If you're happy, I'm happy for you.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 12:06 pm

LOL

If you're happy, I'm happy for you.
LOL

My, aren't we mellowing in our later years here. ;)

(...thanks...yes, I'm very happy...well, overall anyway)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Well said DARG. But Intrepid is entitled to his own opinion. And of course, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. What our friend there seems to be missing is that although from differing levels of employment at the firm they work for they are bonded by the similarities of their situations. Both being used by others of more authority and power for their own gratifications. And without fully realizing it finding the strength to break free from those situations from each other. Then ultimately realizing the bond they have with each other.

And I rank Lemmon's performance in this movie up there with his work in THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES and SAVE THE TIGER. One of Jack's finest performances. And we all know he has plenty to his credit.

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I'm missing nothing. She's a cheap skank and he's a pathetic wimp.

And my favorite Lemmon role was in Alex and the Gypsy. Or maybe The Out-of-Towners. He's excellent in both.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LOL

Looks like, according to some folks, Jeff D. Sheldrake is the person with the best character traits in The Apartment. Not always, but largely true. Unfortunately, or fortunately.

As for MacLaine's attractiveness: Dargo, as you know, this is more than just their physical features. Shirley wasn't beautiful in a so-called traditional sense, but she was able to convey sexiness, vulnerability, alure and other such qualities that made her desirable, IMO. Other actresses may look 'better' in a still photo, (having more natural beauty) but due to their acting limitations cannot convey such qualities.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE APARTMENT ranks as one of BILLY WILDER's best films. Each performance is superior.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Shirley is cute.

Sheldrake is the jackass, not MacMurray.

The Out of Towners is one of the worst films ever. Both Jack and Sandy were awful due to an atrocious script.
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

laffite wrote: June 16th, 2023, 3:36 pm Shirley is cute.

Sheldrake is the jackass, not MacMurray.

The Out of Towners is one of the worst films ever. Both Jack and Sandy were awful due to an atrocious script.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I see the dorg agrees.
Mona