Shadow Banning

Chit-chat, current events
Thompson

Re: Shadow Banning

Post by Thompson »

Do me a favor and make sure you drink bud in public. And make sure people can see you buying it.
[/quote]

Why wouldn’t I? What has changed? Nothing has changed. The Budweiser recipe has not changed. You crack one open and it’s the same. I get the impression that there is some kind of image problem. Image is one thing, ladies and gentlemen, quality of product is quite another, consistency of quality beats image out every single time. So yes sir, when I make it to Ms. Mae’s bar I order a Budweiser. When I purchase my tall six at Vicky’s I purchase Budweiser, when I get the chance to buy a case of beer at Rouses grocery store I buy a case of Budweiser. So I’m not really sure what you are getting at.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Do me a favor and make sure you drink bud in public. And make sure people can see you buying it.
Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 1:10 am Why wouldn’t I?
Okay, good.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Okay, good.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Fill me in a little Intrepid, if you can or will, about this Budweiser backlash. I’m not clear on it. Is it Bud Light, and what happened? Why should anybody care what brand of beer is bought? What does beer have to do with anything? I would think the boys would be concentrating on the hard, since that’s what we end up drinking in the end.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:41 pm I have to learn the silent scream of pain. Who painted that?

Edvard Munch "The Scream" -there are 4 versions in paint & pastel.

My best friends son, named Charles Jr, made expressions like the painting so they called him "Munch". But they pronounced it like the word, not the name. That boy is nearly 50 and everyone still calls him "Munch" which must be humiliating. He still lives at home if that's any indication.
Thompson wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:41 pm Confuse the police and paddy wagon drivers.
You are assuming those in law enforcement are not well educated. Bad assumption.
laffite wrote: June 29th, 2023, 12:10 am Remember Norm Crosby?
Omigod-I instantly thought Norm McDonald....then remembered Norm Crosby! Wow is that a sign of getting old? :shock:
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 5:26 am Fill me in a little Intrepid, if you can or will, about this Budweiser backlash. I’m not clear on it. Is it Bud Light, and what happened? Why should anybody care what brand of beer is bought? What does beer have to do with anything? I would think the boys would be concentrating on the hard, since that’s what we end up drinking in the end.
Bud Light gave a SINGLE commemorative can to a Trans person, and the right wing in the US freaked out and started calling all Trans people groomers and boycotted Bud Light (but naturally, kept purchasing other brands from the same company, in ignorance). This all despite the fact that most breweries have been celebrating pride month for years without any backlash from these same people, who have all been whipped into a homophobic frenzy the likes of which we haven't seen in decades.

But then, maybe intrepid has a different reason, despite his "kids" comment on the last page. I'll let him weigh in. :smiley_innocent:
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What is the meaning of ‘groomers’? Between Laffite and all I feel like I should go back to school or buy an up to date dictionary.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 5:26 am Fill me in a little Intrepid, if you can or will, about this Budweiser backlash. I’m not clear on it. Is it Bud Light, and what happened? Why should anybody care what brand of beer is bought? What does beer have to do with anything? I would think the boys would be concentrating on the hard, since that’s what we end up drinking in the end.
The Bud Light backlash is all about right-wing cancel culture. Yea, both sides are playing this silly game (and always have but it is on steroids now). Oh well, just drink what you want!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I like beer but it is too expensive.
I enjoy Scotch but can get cheaper Canadian Whiskey.
I don't believe it is right or left wing.
I can hear the lock from Lomm clicking soon.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: June 29th, 2023, 12:42 am
laffite wrote: June 29th, 2023, 12:10 am For those who might not know this already, Mrs Malapropism is a comic character in a play by Sheridan (1751-1816). She was always misusing words. Remember Norm Crosby? He loved doing this in his monologues.

[media]https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... nX-EPaAIdU[/media]
My wife and I used to work with a woman who we'd refer to as "The Female Norm Crosby". A few of her more notable malaprops being:

"Wait, don't tell me. It's right on the tip of my brain."

"Boy, that sure takes the pie!"

(...and no, she didn't do this sort of thing to be purposely funny...Ada and her family escaped Cuba when she was 8 years old, and so English was her second language...oh, that's right...we'd also occasionally refer to her as "The Female Ricky Ricardo" too)
Not sure but those examples may not strictly speaking qualify. The funny thing with malapropisms is the wrong word is similar to the correct one. Crosby says in that clip "affliction" instead of "affection" and "pinochle" instead of "pinnacle."

But the co-worker's enunciations are cute. Even though a second language, Ada must have heard the original cliches in order to say what she says, though without necessarily trying to be funny. I like them, they are refreshing.

My doctor tells me that hearing too many cliches can cause brain damage. So now we know that Ada's brain is a faculty intact and on the tip of which will be a multitude of failed recalls. Just being silly. But I hope Ada iis well and happy wherever she may be. We should term her way of speaking Adapropisms.
Mona
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 11:33 am I like beer but it is too expensive.
I stick with Irish Whiskey and avoid the beer wars. :smiley_cheers:
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

You're correct that the vast majority of products are not 'right or left wing', but marketing can be viewed as being such.

E.g., having gay or mix-raced couples in ads. The CarShield ads on INSP and Grit that tend to show conservative leaning shows (e.g. 50s \ 60s westerns). These ads clearly are designed to appeal to Trumpers.

Therefore, companies need to be careful; If they decide to market to a specific demographic, they may get push back by another specific demographic, and thus these companies may not see an increase in sales. In the case of Bud Light, it was a decrease. Sadly, this is the result of the tit-for-tat culture wars going on.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 29th, 2023, 1:38 pm
You're correct that the vast majority of products are not 'right or left wing', but marketing can be viewed as being such.

E.g., having gay or mix-raced couples in ads. The CarShield ads on INSP and Grit that tend to show conservative leaning shows (e.g. 50s \ 60s westerns). These ads clearly are designed to appeal to Trumpers.

Therefore, companies need to be careful; If they decide to market to a specific demographic, they may get push back by another specific demographic, and thus these companies may not see an increase in sales. In the case of Bud Light, it was a decrease. Sadly, this is the result of the tit-for-tat culture wars going on.
It also see-saws. Look at what's happened with the recent online moaning about Cracker Barrel and Chik-fil-A, both of which were targets a few years back of LGBT advocates. Now it's the "anti-woke" crowd going after them.

One of my friends was going to "boycott" a certain local Tex-Mex chain because its founder, no longer associated with the company, didn't align with his politics. I told him that if you look hard enough at anyone or any company, you're going to find something that you're not aligned with, and if you keep going down this path, you'll soon be standing alone.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Lomm wrote: June 29th, 2023, 7:09 am Bud Light gave a SINGLE commemorative can to a Trans person
Mulvaney is not a "Trans person". He's a guy who dresses up as, and pretends to be, a little girl. His following is overwhelmingly children - underage kids, generally around 12 -15.

It was not a "single commemorative can". It was the beginning of an entire promotion - with commercials and various advertising campaign items.

Mulvaney's little girl schtick is sickening to most adults and this promotion is definitely insulting to the "frat boy" consumers cited by the promotion's director.

But, by all means, see it your way.

They've lost about 30 billion of value so far - gonna go higher than that.

And, in many places, the embarrassment of consuming bud in public will continue to be felt.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

You are right about that jimimac, beer is expensive. All those old saws about a beer budget are long gone. I moved to vodka after I swore to myself I would never move to vodka. But I am a fool for a cold sixteen. All that carbonation, that 5 % kicking in. Nothing like it.