Airplane! ('80)

Post by ziggy6708a »

see:
:smiley_shades:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Re: Airplane! ('80)

Post by laffite »

Airplane is hilarious for the most part. The gags in the beginning were knee slappers or if not then smile inducers, certainly. When the airplane becomes in distress and the plot became getting it down safely, the whole show became at least slightly stilted. The plot line becomes narrower with less space to branch out with humorous bits. The movie still holds together yet I was surprised that I noticed this in my last viewing. In fact, I don't think I finished it.
Mona
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:lol:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_shades:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Working on the LAX ramp for an airline at the time of this movie's release, I remember sitting in the gate area's restaurant between flights and drinking coffee with my fellow "rampies" and us laughing at all the funny lines in this movie we'd recite to each other.

One of my favorite scenes in it always being the part where Lloyd Bridges instructs Julie Hagerty over the radio how to revive the autopilot feature of the plane.

(...and even though its punchline scene is probably a bit dated now days and considering that the smoking of cigarettes after sex isn't the cliche it once was)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Dargo wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 6:07 pm Working on the LAX ramp for an airline at the time of this movie's release, I remember sitting in the gate area's restaurant between flights and drinking coffee with my fellow "rampies" and us laughing at all the funny lines in this movie we'd recite to each other.

One of my favorite scenes in it always being the part where Lloyd Bridges instructs Julie Hagerty over the radio how to revive the autopilot feature of the plane.

(...and even though its punchline scene is probably a bit dated now days and considering that the smoking of cigarettes after sex isn't the cliche it once was)
Basic similarity here is I hung with a few guys at work who were a new to cable as I was. And one of the "premium" channels was showing the movie often. So we'd discuss what we thought were the funniest parts to us. Of course, there was the oft-used(to overused) "Don't call me Shirley" And Johnny saying "No thank you" anytime anyone requested a cup of coffee by saying, :Hey Johnny, how about a cup of coffee?"

But even after all the viewings and passing years, my favorite bit is STILL Barbara Billingsley speaking "jive".

Sepiatone