Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Chit-chat, current events
txfilmfan

Re: Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Post by txfilmfan »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 5:45 pm
TikiSoo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 12:32 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:54 am Kevin Spacey might have been acquitted, but I know some male actors who have worked with him when they were young who would have no reason to lie (and would never "come forward" to accuse him publicly for personal reasons) and they have experienced Spacey's predatory behavior.
Well that's the way it goes with these cases- it often happens when you're young and it goes unreported because of intimidation. No one wants to expose themselves to negative publicity.
Often those involved realize a mistake of judgement, like provocative clothing or conversation, that may have created a misconstrued situation.

When reported, a jury hears both sides and decides upon a preponderance of the evidence. It just wasn't proven enough to warrant a monetary award.
The fact the film company deleted him from the movie is what offends me. He was just accused, not convicted. Might they have been aware of the validity of the accusation? We'll never know.

It goes back to do you judge the Art or The Artist who made it?
There's lots of actors in movies I love despite knowing the person was actually a distasteful boor.
I just wonder why nobody ever accuses poor people of 'sexual misconduct'.
They do. You just don't hear about it.
Belle

Post by Belle »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:05 pm
Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 7:27 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: July 29th, 2023, 5:58 pm

It happens every day. Those people are not only poor, but not famous.
Could you give me an example please? It's unheard of in Australia. It's usually the rich and famous or somebody in the workplace (where the workplace foots the bill for any 'sexually inappropriate' behaviour, 'unwanted advances', 'sexual harassment': what does any of that even mean?).

"Would you like to join me for coffee at lunch time?".... "No, that's sexual harassment". I mean, where is all this leading because many people meet their love interests in the workplace. That's where I met my spouse of decades. I was cleaning the office in the early 70s and he was a middle manager working overtime. That's today regarded as a 'power imbalance'. For me it was a 'date'. We have been together since April, 1973.

We have in Australia a situation where the richest man is divorcing his wife; somebody in the company he owns has made a complaint about his 'sexual harassment' of a female on the staff. It was an anonymous complaint; turns out one of the women in the company is very likely to be having an affair with the 'owner' who is being divorced - ie. the richest man - and somebody else doesn't like that. I mean, what the...???!!! You expect this behaviour in Russia or Communist China or North Korea and not in a modern democracy.
If we are talking about workplace sexual harassment, it would be difficult to provide examples since the media doesn't cover such events. So, I agree they are unheard of but that does not mean they don't take place. E.g. my wife is the general manager of a janitorial services company: she gets at least 2 such complaints, per year, from minimum wage working woman against minimum wage working men.
My son works in Western Australia in a mining resources support company (drilling and that kind of thing). He has said the men and women in the FIFO (fly in/fly out) arrangement are regularly in bed with each other. No one party is to blame but, aside from that, there have always been creeps and this will continue - of BOTH sexes. My son was regularly propositioned by a female colleague even while his wife was in labour in hospital with their second child. This is an equal opportunity sport!! In my wildest imagination I cannot ever see my son taking any female to court for this.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:03 pm
There is no TV reception for me from SF to Santa Rosa.
Hey! How did you know I'm in Santa Rosa?
Guess you know your geography or a good memory.
I have cable television as an antenna would make a good door stop.
I guess you have the same trouble out there in AZ.
You look confused Dargo. Time for some more Tequila.
Satellite TV is as costly as cable, as is streaming, but that goes in another thread.
I just used simple geography here, jimimac. ;)

Beautiful part of the country and lovely town there, btw.

And yep, with the mountains separating Sedona from Phoenix and it being a little over 100 miles in distance from each other as well, I have cable TV in order to get the PHX stations, and along with of course TCM and all the other channels I regularly watch that aren't over-the-air.

(...btw, good idea on the Tequila here...my favorite being the aged Anejo variety...can't believe how many people don't seem to know how tasteful the aged stuff is compared the cheaper stuff that people only know as being for shooters with lime and salt)
Last edited by Dargo on July 29th, 2023, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Dargo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 7:46 pm

Could you give me an example please? It's unheard of in Australia. It's usually the rich and famous or somebody in the workplace (where the workplace foots the bill for any 'sexually inappropriate' behaviour, 'unwanted advances', 'sexual harassment': what does any of that even mean?).

"Would you like to join me for coffee at lunch time?".... "No, that's sexual harassment". I mean, where is all this leading because many people meet their love interests in the workplace. That's where I met my spouse of decades. I was cleaning the office in the early 70s and he was a middle manager working overtime. That's today regarded as a 'power imbalance'. For me it was a 'date'. We have been together since April, 1973.

We have in Australia a situation where the richest man is divorcing his wife; somebody in the company he owns has made a complaint about his 'sexual harassment' of a female on the staff. It was an anonymous complaint; turns out one of the women in the company is very likely to be having an affair with the 'owner' who is being divorced - ie. the richest man - and somebody else doesn't like that. I mean, what the...???!!!
Well Belle, ya see here in the good ol' U.S. of A. what oftens happened is that some creep who lives hand-to-mouth and can't rub two nickles together and who'll get fired from his job after his HR meeting for this kind of thing, will return to his former place of business armed with a Glock and maybe an AR-15, and will then shoot his accuser and maybe five or six of his innocent former co-workers in an attempt to seek some form of "resolution" to his problem!

C'mon now, SURELY you must have read about this sort'a thing happening here with some frequency in at least SOME of those Austrailian news sources of yours down there, RIGHT?!!!

LOL

You can now chalk this up to BOTH "gallows humor" (oh wait, you're Austrailian huh...I meant "gallows humour" here of course ;) ) AND to the idea that what I just told you IS unfortunately the honest TRUTH. And so, there's an example for ya here.
This saddens lots of us here in Australia every time; the gun violence. Don't hold it against me that I'm Australian; we even have television here!!

And some of us even have a sense of humour. Hard to believe, I know, but there it is!! :D
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:26 pm

We have in Australia a situation where the richest man is divorcing his wife; somebody in the company he owns has made a complaint about his 'sexual harassment' of a female on the staff. It was an anonymous complaint; turns out one of the women in the company is very likely to be having an affair with the 'owner' who is being divorced - ie. the richest man - and somebody else doesn't like that. I mean, what the...???!!! You expect this behaviour in Russia or Communist China or North Korea and not in a modern democracy.
If we are talking about workplace sexual harassment, it would be difficult to provide examples since the media doesn't cover such events. So, I agree they are unheard of but that does not mean they don't take place. E.g. my wife is the general manager of a janitorial services company: she gets at least 2 such complaints, per year, from minimum wage working woman against minimum wage working men.
My son works in Western Australia in a mining resources support company (drilling and that kind of thing). He has said the men and women in the FIFO (fly in/fly out) arrangement are regularly in bed with each other. No one party is to blame but, aside from that, there have always been creeps and this will continue - of BOTH sexes. My son was regularly propositioned by a female colleague even while his wife was in labour in hospital with their second child. This is an equal opportunity sport!! In my wildest imagination I cannot ever see my son taking any female to court for this.
I've only been to Australia once, and I didn't exactly concentrate on the legal system while there, but I would hazard a guess it's more like the UK's than the US's. There is a cultural difference at play here, I suspect. We are a very litigious society here in the US. Attorneys have even been allowed to advertise on television for the past 30 or 40 years. People here sue one another at the drop of a hat.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:26 pm

My son works in Western Australia in a mining resources support company (drilling and that kind of thing). He has said the men and women in the FIFO (fly in/fly out) arrangement are regularly in bed with each other. No one party is to blame but, aside from that, there have always been creeps and this will continue - of BOTH sexes. My son was regularly propositioned by a female colleague even while his wife was in labour in hospital with their second child. This is an equal opportunity sport!!
Belle -- slightly off topic but relating somewhat to sexual harassment in Australia: Have you seen the bizarre Australian film Welcome to Woop Woop?? The young American character, who is held captive in Woop Woop, is sexually (and otherwise) harassed by Rod Taylor's daughter.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren. But as an actor she was a first class model!!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:45 pm Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren.
Welcome to Woop Woop is a much later film than Rod Taylor's better-known films. It's totally wild and crazy. Made by Stephen Elliott after the success of his The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:36 pm
Belle -- slightly off topic but relating somewhat to sexual harassment in Australia: Have you seen the bizarre Australian film Welcome to Woop Woop?? The young American character, who is held captive in Woop Woop, is sexually (and otherwise) harassed by Rod Taylor's daughter.
So, I just looked up this movie on IMDb and found that the character you referenced here Swithin was played by Aussie actress Susie Porter who looks like this...

And now going back to something our friend LostHorizons said earlier in this thing...
That’s definitely a blanket statement which is a generalization at best. I have been felt up by (an EXTREMELY unappealing) female coworkers and sexually harassed in other ways
And so I'm now driven to ask the following:

Why does it always seem that when MEN are sexually harrassed by women in REAL life and NOT in the movies, it's by women who are NEVER as cute and appealing as Susie is here???

(...boy, I tell ya...real life is just not fair, is it!) ;) LOL
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:45 pm Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren. But as an actor she was a first class model!!
Hey now Belle! Didn't ya at least think Rod was pretty good in 'The Time Machine'?

(...I always thought so, anyway)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 5:45 pm ...
I just wonder why nobody ever accuses poor people of 'sexual misconduct'.
Could you give me an example please? ...
Why would you need one? I responded to the remark. People are accused of sexual misconduct almost as often as they're guilty.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Dargo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:07 pm
Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:36 pm
So, I just looked up this movie on IMDb and found that the character you referenced here Swithin was played by Aussie actress Susie Porter who looks like this...

And now going back to something our friend LostHorizons said earlier in this thing...
That’s definitely a blanket statement which is a generalization at best. I have been felt up by (an EXTREMELY unappealing) female coworkers and sexually harassed in other ways
And so I'm now driven to ask the following:

Why does it always seem that when MEN are sexually harrassed by women in REAL life and NOT in the movies, it's by women who are NEVER as cute and appealing as Susie is here???

(...boy, I tell ya...real life is just not fair, is it!) ;) LOL
You're not going to believe this but Suzie Porter is a friend of one of my girlfriends!! They went to university together.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Dargo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:27 pm
Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:45 pm Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren. But as an actor she was a first class model!!
Hey now Belle! Didn't ya at least think Rod was pretty good in 'The Time Machine'?

(...I always thought so, anyway)
I found Rod Taylor totally wooden!!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

My five favorite Kevin Spacey performances-

1. The harried office manager to a bunch of salesmen in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
2. Then nasty movie producer who verbally abuses his assistant in Swimming With Sharks (1994)
3. The deceptive Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects (1995)
4. One of the scariest killers on film in Se7en (1995)
5. The publicity hungry cop in LA Confidential (1997)
Belle

Post by Belle »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: July 30th, 2023, 7:25 am My five favorite Kevin Spacey performances-

1. The harried office manager to a bunch of salesmen in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
2. Then nasty movie producer who verbally abuses his assistant in Swimming With Sharks (1994)
3. The deceptive Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects (1995)
4. One of the scariest killers on film in Se7en (1995)
5. The publicity hungry cop in LA Confidential (1997)
I've enjoyed quite a few Spacey performances and the one I liked most was the biopic of Bobby Darin, when Spacey did all his own singing.