Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Chit-chat, current events
jimimac71

Re: Kevin Spacey Found Not Guilty - Accusers Were Lying For $

Post by jimimac71 »

I don't know any of Kevin Spacey's movies, not even Bobby Darin.
After reading the posts here, it is time for TCM to show Crocodile Dundee.
I saw it on TV when it came to The Movie Channel.
Both Bill Gates and Garrison Keillor were damaged by their behavior.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I saw Kevin Spacey on stage at the Old Vic and his magnetic performance bettered anything I had seen him do on film.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Feinberg wrote: July 30th, 2023, 1:03 pm I saw Kevin Spacey on stage at the Old Vic and his magnetic performance bettered anything I had seen him do on film.
He was a great Richard III at BAM. He had previously played it at the Old Vic.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:26 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:05 pm
Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 7:27 pm

Could you give me an example please? It's unheard of in Australia. It's usually the rich and famous or somebody in the workplace (where the workplace foots the bill for any 'sexually inappropriate' behaviour, 'unwanted advances', 'sexual harassment': what does any of that even mean?).

"Would you like to join me for coffee at lunch time?".... "No, that's sexual harassment". I mean, where is all this leading because many people meet their love interests in the workplace. That's where I met my spouse of decades. I was cleaning the office in the early 70s and he was a middle manager working overtime. That's today regarded as a 'power imbalance'. For me it was a 'date'. We have been together since April, 1973.

We have in Australia a situation where the richest man is divorcing his wife; somebody in the company he owns has made a complaint about his 'sexual harassment' of a female on the staff. It was an anonymous complaint; turns out one of the women in the company is very likely to be having an affair with the 'owner' who is being divorced - ie. the richest man - and somebody else doesn't like that. I mean, what the...???!!! You expect this behaviour in Russia or Communist China or North Korea and not in a modern democracy.
If we are talking about workplace sexual harassment, it would be difficult to provide examples since the media doesn't cover such events. So, I agree they are unheard of but that does not mean they don't take place. E.g. my wife is the general manager of a janitorial services company: she gets at least 2 such complaints, per year, from minimum wage working woman against minimum wage working men.
My son works in Western Australia in a mining resources support company (drilling and that kind of thing). He has said the men and women in the FIFO (fly in/fly out) arrangement are regularly in bed with each other. No one party is to blame but, aside from that, there have always been creeps and this will continue - of BOTH sexes. My son was regularly propositioned by a female colleague even while his wife was in labour in hospital with their second child. This is an equal opportunity sport!! In my wildest imagination I cannot ever see my son taking any female to court for this.
Propositioning someone is not as the same thing as performing oral sex on someone while they are asleep. That's what one of the men accused Kevin Spacey of.

I actually watched the video that was posted here.
It's interesting that the guy in the video (Tim Pool) says that he doesn't trust Kevin Spacey particularly about the Anthony Rapp situation in the US. But he also doesn't trust the British men who accused Kevin Spacey.
Belle

Post by Belle »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 30th, 2023, 1:44 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:05 pm

If we are talking about workplace sexual harassment, it would be difficult to provide examples since the media doesn't cover such events. So, I agree they are unheard of but that does not mean they don't take place. E.g. my wife is the general manager of a janitorial services company: she gets at least 2 such complaints, per year, from minimum wage working woman against minimum wage working men.
My son works in Western Australia in a mining resources support company (drilling and that kind of thing). He has said the men and women in the FIFO (fly in/fly out) arrangement are regularly in bed with each other. No one party is to blame but, aside from that, there have always been creeps and this will continue - of BOTH sexes. My son was regularly propositioned by a female colleague even while his wife was in labour in hospital with their second child. This is an equal opportunity sport!! In my wildest imagination I cannot ever see my son taking any female to court for this.
Propositioning someone is not as the same thing as performing oral sex on someone while they are asleep. That's what one of the men accused Kevin Spacey of.

It's interesting that the guy in the video (Tim Pool) says that he doesn't trust Kevin Spacey particularly about the Anthony Rapp situation in the US. But he also doesn't trust the British men who accused Kevin Spacey.
It's not a question of the type of sexual harassment; it's the fact of harassment per se. The latter accusations have grown out of control in the litigation landscape and it's certainly enough to destroy lives and careers.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Belle wrote: July 30th, 2023, 4:26 pm

It's not a question of the type of sexual harassment; it's the fact of harassment per se. The latter accusations have grown out of control in the litigation landscape and it's certainly enough to destroy lives and careers.
The charges brought against Kevin Spacey were sexual assault, not sexual harassment.
I'm sure you understand the difference.
Kevin Spacey was ultimately acquitted, but these were criminal charges that needed to be tried.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: July 30th, 2023, 4:48 pm
Swithin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 4:57 pm
It's not healthy for a society when people can pop up some time later to make an accusation. I know the usual excuse is that they were afraid for their job, or something like that. Much as I revile Donald Trump, I even think the woman who came forth decades later is troubling in the sense that, although she is telling the truth, our public and political life cannot be agitated by situations like that.

I may lose some progressive creds on this, but I think there should be a statute of limitations on the reporting of these situations.
Statutes of limitation have always been an essential part of Anglo-American jurisprudence. Until recently, that is. There is a well-known legal saying that "Equity favors the vigilant." When the extent of the Catholic Church's cover-up of sexual molestations became generally accepted, many states created a certain window (often two years) for alleged victims to bring suit. After that period ended, California (for one) created yet another re-opening. Plaintiffs' lawyers are significant donors to some Democratic legislators.

The Carroll case is an example of the necessity for statutes of limitation. Had the case been brought within, say, two years of the alleged incident, other witnesses and evidence might have been available. Decades later, who knows?
Living in CA I do find it odd that the statute of limitations was increased for sexual assault cases. Typically, liberal Dems (who have the vast majority of power in CA), lean more towards legal protection of the assured versus providing legal authorities more power.

I understand that the goal was to help ensure sexual predators were tried and convicted. A better solution would have been to lower the statute of limitations. That would have resulted victims coming forward in 'real time' and thus help ensure witnesses and evidence is fresh.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

These days, we tend to conflate things that seem like birds of a feather.

Clarence Thomas's vile behavior towards Anita Hill consisted of words. Horrid, offensive, upsetting as they were, they were words.

Brett Kavanaugh's behavior toward Christine Blasey Ford, based on her testimony, consisted of physical actions/attempted rape.

Both of those accusations were not explored in criminal trials. I hope the time comes -- maybe it's almost here -- that victims can make their accusations within a reasonable time period.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: July 30th, 2023, 7:18 pm These days, we tend to conflate things that seem like birds of a feather.

Clarence Thomas's vile behavior towards Anita Hill consisted of words. Horrid, offensive, upsetting as they were, they were words.

Brett Kavanaugh's behavior toward Christine Blasey Ford, based on her testimony, consisted of physical actions/attempted rape.

Both of those accusations were not explored in criminal trials. I hope the time comes -- maybe it's almost here -- that victims can make their accusations within a reasonable time period.
I admit I can't follow what you're saying in most of your post. E.g., " that victims can make their accusations within a reasonable time period.".

What stood out for me was the use of 'can make': That implies something is preventing them. In most cases nothing is preventing them, especially in states like CA with all of our laws against retaliation (e.g., by the employer, or civil suits by the assured), especially the news ones passed after the Harvey Weinstein mess.
Belle

Post by Belle »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 30th, 2023, 6:50 pm
Belle wrote: July 30th, 2023, 4:26 pm

The charges brought against Kevin Spacey were sexual assault, not sexual harassment.
I'm sure you understand the difference.
Kevin Spacey was ultimately acquitted, but these were criminal charges that needed to be tried.
Both types of complaint are clogging up the justice system/courts. Apparently Spacey's accuser was in contact with the actor long after the alleged "assault".
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:27 pm
Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:45 pm Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren. But as an actor she was a first class model!!
Hey now Belle! Didn't ya at least think Rod was pretty good in 'The Time Machine'?

(...I always thought so, anyway)
That is an extremely subpar George Pal picture and reimagines Wells’ original story of the dangers of technology making men too complacent and turns it into a crappy Cold War paranoia metaphor. Garbage, garbage, garbage picture
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: July 31st, 2023, 1:47 pm
Dargo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:27 pm
Belle wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:45 pm Swithin, anything with Rod Taylor in it has always been an embarrassment. For me. He just couldn't act. So, I didn't see the film you mention. Naturally I've seen "The Birds" but in that film only Tippi Hedren was a worse actor than Taylor; a mighty contest, for sure, but she won it!! I'll never understand why "Hitch" used either of them; well, I do know about his 'blond fetish' so that partially explains Hedren. But as an actor she was a first class model!!
Hey now Belle! Didn't ya at least think Rod was pretty good in 'The Time Machine'?

(...I always thought so, anyway)
That is an extremely subpar George Pal picture and reimagines Wells’ original story of the dangers of technology making men too complacent and turns it into a crappy Cold War paranoia metaphor. Garbage, garbage, garbage picture
Well LH, as you might guess here, my opinion of this film is a little more favorable. However, I WILL have to agree with your take on it being a "Cold War metaphor", anyway.

Ya see, the first time this then 8 y/o kid watched this one in downtown L.A. during its initial release, the scene where Rod stops his time machine and its readout says "1966" and when a nuclear war breaks out, I remember doing the calculations at the time and figuring out, OH MY GOD, that IF this timeline would turn out to be true, I would only live to be 14 y/o before those dang Ruskies would end the world as we knew it!

(...oh yeah...I ALSO remember thinking how cool it was that when a Morlock is killed, those little beady lights he has for eyes go out...c'mon now, how cool is THAT?!...and especially for 1960 special effects) ;)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Oh, and btw here, Belle...
Belle wrote: July 30th, 2023, 6:01 am
I found Rod Taylor totally wooden!!
Now Belle, are you SURE you're not confusin' HIM with Rod CAMERON here???...

(..talk about "WOODEN"!!!) ;)

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on July 31st, 2023, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.