The Exorcist (1973)

txfilmfan

Re: The Exorcist (1973)

Post by txfilmfan »

This is one of several early 70s movies I've never seen (The Godfather [I &II] being perhaps the most glaring examples). I was too young to see these on first release, and have never sought them out since. Neither genre is really up my alley, but I suppose I should see them just because of their reputation.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE EXORCIST is a masterpiece. I don't think LINDA BLAIR ultimately is impressive, but ELLEN BURSTYN is wonderful. We are now in an era where no director has gone there. Again. Nor does anybody particularly care. But in the 1970s it was a big deal when the girl impales herself with a crucifix uttering ... those two words. The script is not perfect, but few films were as shocking, impactful and important. Except...
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (also a masterpiece 1974 I think).
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: August 11th, 2023, 10:00 am Do most folks prefer the original theatrical version, or the re-edited one that Friedkin released in 2000?
I prefer the original cut. The scene of the cop (Lee J Cobb) and the priest (William O'Malley) at the end seemed padded and unnecessary. The only scene I liked in the new cut was Regan's "spider walk" down the stairs.

My favorite Friedkin film was The Boys In The Band and I love The French Connection too. Along with The Exorcist, I consider these his "big 3" classics, I don't think he has done anything close to great since then. The ones I have seen are the following and I found them all disappointing-

Sorcerer (1977) -though I was only 16 when I saw it, I found it a bit boring.

To Live And Die In LA (1985) a good chase scene, but no where near as good as French Connection

Rampage (1987)

The Guardian (1990)

Blue Chips )1994) -this was an OK basketball movie with Nick Nolte.

Jade )1995)

I wish I could have seen Friedkin give a talk in public since he was a great story teller. I am glad there are so many videos available discussing his work.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: August 11th, 2023, 10:32 am
Nellie LaRoy wrote: August 11th, 2023, 10:00 am Do most folks prefer the original theatrical version, or the re-edited one that Friedkin released in 2000?
I prefer the original cut. The scene of the cop (Lee J Cobb) and the priest (William O'Malley) at the end seemed padded and unnecessary. The only scene I liked in the new cut was Regan's "spider walk" down the stairs.

I've not seen the director's cut, but any additional scene with the great COBB is superfluous. For years I'd heard about this "spider walk" and simply thought I'd forgotten it! I think I've even seen a clip... I'm sure you're right-on.

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: August 11th, 2023, 10:32 am My favorite Friedkin film was The Boys In The Band and I love The French Connection too. Along with The Exorcist, I consider these his "big 3" classics, I don't think he has done anything close to great since then. The ones I have seen are the following and I found them all disappointing...

I do not "like" THE BOYS IN THE BAND mainly because it is so painfully powerful. TCM showed it recently, rewatched and the acting is all top notch.
I agree after the big 3 it's a slippery slope. Perhaps you haven't seen the strangely interestingly disjointed BS exploitation wallow CRUISING? Ech. In the realm of WTF?

Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw it when it was on TCM several months ago. Likely hadn't seen it in about ten years before that showing.
It holds up fairly well. Sometimes it's spooky, even if one doesn't believe in devils and demons. A few times it's
a bit over the top, but in general it keeps things in balance. And forgive me father, but I still LOL every time I
see Regan pee on the floor in front of her mother and her party guests. Oopsy.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

My usual goal for the month of October is to watch or rewatch at least one horror movie a day. A goal that I usually fail at.

And, considering that The Exorcist: Believer (2023) is being released this Friday (Not that I expect to see it before it hits streaming.), what better way to start off the month this year with than a rewatch of The Exorcist (1973) which I did on Max prior to the start of today's NFL games.

As Andree wrote, it still holds up after all these years.

And, since I have never seen any of this movie's sequels and prequels, they may be next on my hit parade. Although I've heard enough over the years to know that I'm heading for a letdown.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I studied Theology at a Jesuit College (I'm not RC). One of my favorite courses, ca. 1973, was Demonology. Among many other works, we had to read The Exorcist. Father Thomas Bermingham, the Jesuit who advised on the film, had an affiliation with my university. Our teacher, another Jesuit, tried to get him to talk to us about the film and how the exorcism followed all the prescribed rules. But Father Bermingham was very busy around that time, as he also had a small role in the film. He died at his residence at my college in 1998.

Last edited by Swithin on October 2nd, 2023, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I've watched it twice. The first time the night of its initial release in Westwood CA. This then 21 y/o hadn't a clue what an exorcism was as he waited in a long line to see it. I then remember it shocking and scaring me pretty well, and in fact so much so that I didn't sleep all that well that night.

The second time was about 15 years later on TV, and I then remember thinking I couldn't believe this movie actually scared me that much.

(...and so maybe chalk this up to either becoming more calloused as I aged and/or by then noticing that the film's primary attribute seemed to be in its shock factor and it no longer having the ability for me to be shocked by it)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: August 10th, 2023, 9:19 pm This is one of several early 70s movies I've never seen (The Godfather [I &II] being perhaps the most glaring examples). I was too young to see these on first release, and have never sought them out since. Neither genre is really up my alley, but I suppose I should see them just because of their reputation.
Same.
I did watch The Godfather just to see it. It was far too violent (for me) but after watching it, understand why so many love it. It's a pretty well rounded story.

When I finally watched The Exorcist, all the "shock" scenes were familiar from all the SNL parodies which greatly diminished their impact. So again, I was more engaged by the story itself.

The "crab walk" was most impressive since it was done by a real person, a contortionist. I absolutely think the special effects being physical rather than digital helps the film.

Watching at home, the subliminal flash cuts of Demon/Captain Howdy were easily still frozen for closer examination:
...betcha in the theater that was really spooky!! Just a guy wearing make-up, haha.

Overall, the movie made me feel sad, sad for the little girl.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

I saw it in a Miami movie theater when it was first released. The crowded house let out collective screams at key moments such as the pea soup vomit, the crucifix scene and so on. I was impressed by how well it was made and its power. I've never watched any sequels totally through and have zero interest in this new cash grab. But you know, when producers smell money they have to churn out the follow ups.
Moe Howard

Post by Moe Howard »

Saw this film when it was first released. The only theatre showing it was a small "art" duplex downtown. Every seat had a card with info on the subject, which at the time was odd and interesting.

The movie freaked most of us out and we all -the place was only about half full- left in total silence. I'm sure most of us thought were going to roast in hell for watching it.

It remains one of my all time favorites.

I also like Exorcist 3.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

I saw it when it first came out, and found it terrifying. I was mad at myself because I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

A BBC article on the original movie from earlier today:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... kest-fears

And their much lower opinion on the new sequel from yesterday:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... sy-rip-off