ziggy6708a

TCM Remembers....

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Re: TCM Remembers....

Post by ziggy6708a »

"TCM Remembers William Friedkin Part 1 – Thursday, September 14

8:00 PM – The French Connection (1971) – Two New York narcotics cops set out to bust a French drug smuggling ring.

10:00 PM – To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) – A Secret Service agent becomes obsessed with tracking down a notorious and dangerous Los Angeles counterfeitor.

12:15 AM – The Boys in the Band (1970) – A gay birthday party turns into a night of soul-searching when the host's straight college roommate turns up by mistake.

TCM Remembers William Friedkin Part 2 – Sunday, November 26

8:00 PM – Friedkin Uncut (2018) – TCM Premiere – In this documentary, William Friedkin is interviewed about his career, alongside a number of his colleagues and industry admirers.

10:00 PM – The Exorcist (1973) – A priest battles to save a young girl possessed by demons.

(All times Eastern)"
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Funny, nothing done when 2 time Oscar winner, Glenda Jackson died. Not even a Remembers.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 9:14 am Funny, nothing done when 2 time Oscar winner, Glenda Jackson died. Not even a Remembers.
I guess you could say that I could do one for her. Since her death, I went back and watched most of the films of hers I hadn't seen before, and her brilliance really continues to shine through. I did some of Friedkin's films too, but it wasn't very fruitful outside of really liking The Night They Raided Minsky's.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Speaking of Friedkin uncut, a while back we had a discussion about a cut that was made to Friedkin’s French Connection to remove a racial slur when it was shown on TCM.

This same edit is apparently now present in other places where a digital version of the film is shown, including the Criterion Channel streaming service, and there are several articles on the web objecting to the change:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-frenc ... us-3452641

It’s a shame that Mr. Friedkin cannot express his opinion. I suspect he would not be happy. Chances are the version TCM shows on Sep. 14 will also have the edit.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: August 18th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Hibi wrote: August 15th, 2023, 9:14 am Funny, nothing done when 2 time Oscar winner, Glenda Jackson died. Not even a Remembers.
I guess you could say that I could do one for her. Since her death, I went back and watched most of the films of hers I hadn't seen before, and her brilliance really continues to shine through. I did some of Friedkin's films too, but it wasn't very fruitful outside of really liking The Night They Raided Minsky's.

LOL! At least someone honored her! I've never seen many of her British produced films as they rarely got much of a release stateside and didn't play in this area. I still haven't got around to seeing Health from your link, but will soon!
norfious

Post by norfious »

Perhaps I somehow missed it, but I don't think TCM did anything for Alan Arkin either, which made me sad. I was hoping they would play some of his movies at least.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

norfious wrote: August 21st, 2023, 1:18 pm
Perhaps I somehow missed it, but I don't think TCM did anything for Alan Arkin either, which made me sad. I was hoping they would play some of his movies at least.
Yes, I'm pretty sure he didn't get one either, but I wasn't watching TCM much this summer so maybe I missed it? They pick and choose who they want to honor.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

"Remembrance done right: How TCM has perfected the 'in memoriam' montage-

We're entering awards season, and for those of us who watch these ceremonies every year either for work or for fun, the one reliable constant is that, sandwiched somewhere between corny presenter banter and the occasionally rousing winner's speech, there will be an "In Memoriam" tribute. These segments are rarely satisfying; some pretty important figure is inevitably left off the list, while the whole affair's usually rushed and sloppy. (Or edited in such a way that the honorees are overshadowed by the dignified performance of an obvious Sad Song by an industry-approved John Legend-type, or John Legend himself.)

During these pomp displays of mourning I appreciate even more TCM's own annual tribute to the dearly departed within the film industry, TCM Remembers, the latest of which dropped a couple of weeks ago. It feels a little gauche to say I look forward to the release of these short videos every December, but I do; there's an art to montage, and it's especially tricky to refine when it's a montage reflecting morbidity, an inherently maudlin exercise. .......

Inevitably, this combo of sound, image, and memory will leave me utterly moved to tears or near-tears, even if the beats at this point have become familiar to any longtime TCM fan. I think it also probably stems from the way this template really echoes the medium it's honoring, and understands that the power of montage is in its persuasiveness and ability to stir up feelings when done thoughtfully. I don't think any awards show in memoriam has made me feel this way, and I'm not sure any can.

So long as I have these videos to look forward to, that'll more than make up for the rest.

P.S.: If you're curious about how they're made, I found this article from 2011 that provides some insight through interviews with then-on-air producer Scott McGee and Pola Changnon, who at the time was VP of on-air production. The team behind the 2023 segment included producers and editor David Byrne (not that one!), Christian Hammann, and Gordon Gyor.......
https://www.npr.org/2024/01/06/12230801 ... am-montage

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: August 21st, 2023, 3:38 pm
Yes, I'm pretty sure he didn't get one either, but I wasn't watching TCM much this summer so maybe I missed it? They pick and choose who they want to honor.
They did get around to a night of Alan Arkin movies. Poor Glenda only had one film play for her at year's end, but at least it was one of her best (Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 11th, 2024, 5:34 pm
Hibi wrote: August 21st, 2023, 3:38 pm

They did get around to a night of Alan Arkin movies. Poor Glenda only had one film play for her at year's end, but at least it was one of her best (Sunday Bloody Sunday)

Yes. At least they did that.