Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Beats me! lol
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fedya wrote: August 17th, 2023, 3:49 pm I'm sure they have enough audio/video of Robert Osborne that they could just use AI to make new intros and outros presented by an animatronic Robert Osborne. :)
Yeah, they could CGI him the way Peter Cushing and young Carrie Fisher in ROUGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY in 2016.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I try to be vigilant when muting but there are those times when I accidentally fall asleep w/o my trusty and faithful remote nearby, only to be confronted upon waking (during Barbara Stanwyck Day) with: "It's hard for me to think :headbang: of Stanwyck's character in DOUBLE INDEMNITY as evil because I had an aunt named Phyllis" :headbang:
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

No intros, no outros, just the movies please!

I say this with love!

Roll 'em!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 2:38 pm No intros, no outros, just the movies please!

I say this with love!

Roll 'em!
LOL. Rarely do they say anything I hadn't known already. I guess they think it provides a personal touch. I guess it provides some info to "newbies" who don't know much about films of that era.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yeah, I guess so. I'm a sucker for anything that helps the newer and/or younger film fans, when you put it like that. It's just I wish the "personal touch" was actually funny, lol.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 2:38 pm No intros, no outros, just the movies please!

I say this with love!

Roll 'em!
Saying that got me into a heap of trouble on the old forum.
To quote Kermit the Frog from the Muppet Movie: Roll Film!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I know and understand.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:29 pm Yeah, I guess so. I'm a sucker for anything that helps the newer and/or younger film fans, when you put it like that. It's just I wish the "personal touch" was actually funny, lol.
MANK TRIES to be, but falls flat most of the time!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My lips are sealed, lol.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I like the history or tidbits about production, casting of most films by the hosts. I often learn things I didn't know or am reminded. I don't like when one host gets "cute". I joined the TCM forum a few years ago because of an outro with jokes by MANK that was jaw-droppingly clueless, pointless, and mean spirited.
That night, his last joke was followed with... "...Sorry..." by Mank himself :roll:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 25th, 2023, 3:40 pm I like the history or tidbits about production, casting of most films by the hosts. I often learn things I didn't know or am reminded. I don't like when one host gets "cute". I joined the TCM forum a few years ago because of an outro with jokes by MANK that was jaw-droppingly clueless, pointless, and mean spirited.
That night, his last joke was followed with... "...Sorry..." by Mank himself :roll:
Yes, for the most part I'd also say Ben's jokes fall flat.

STILL though and I know I've said the following a number times before in the old TCM forums, I loved the joke he told years ago in one of his outros for Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory', and even though, yes, it TOO could readily be considered "mean spirited"...and especially so if you might be any sort of a Francophile.

What was it, you ask? Well, after they showed that flick, Mank's comment was: "This film was banned in France for many years due to what the French Government viewed as it being derogatory toward the country's Armed Forces. You're now free to supply your own French Military joke here."

(...C'MON now...THAT'S funny as HELL here, folks!...well and once again, IF you don't happen to be any sort'a Francophile, anyway!!!) LOL
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: August 25th, 2023, 5:45 pm ...Yes, for the most part I'd also say Ben's jokes fall flat.

STILL though and I know I've said the following a number times before in the old TCM forums, I loved the joke he told years ago in one of his outros for Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory', and even though, yes, it TOO could readily be considered "mean spirited"...and especially so if you might be any sort of a Francophile.
What was it, you ask? Well, after they showed that flick, Mank's comment was: "This film was banned in France for many years due to what the French Government viewed as it being derogatory toward the country's Armed Forces. You're now free to supply your own French Military joke here."
(...C'MON now...THAT'S funny as HELL here, folks!...well and once again, IF you don't happen to be any sort'a Francophile, anyway!!!) LOL
Listening to Ben for years, I know something about his life, where his family is from, his indifference about his family's faith. Cool.
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF was introduced by Ben. After the broadcast Ben's joke was about the 1972 Academy Awards, TOPOL didn't win, a fictional kidnapping and disappearance of GENE HACKMAN by Mossad. He should know better. It was a slap in the face.
... 1972...Munich...Mossad. :(
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 25th, 2023, 7:07 pm
Listening to Ben for years...
Well, in THAT case, tell me here Allhallows ol' buddy.

It seems EVERY time I mentioned something about Ben's "nasally voice" over on the old TCM boards, I always got CRICKETS! You know, like nobody else could ever HEAR it!

And so, PLEASE tell me here and after listening to Ben all these years as you've just said, YOU can at least hear it anyway, RIGHT?!!! ;)

LOL

(...but yeah and in regard to the "Mossad" joke that he told, if I had been in Ben's shoes, I think a little voice in my head would've said you might not wanna go there...and besides, jokes about the Mossad will NEVER be as funny as ones about the..wait for it again..FRENCH MILITARY...well and once again, IF you don't happen to be a Francophile, anyway!)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Nasal? Perhaps.