WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jimimac71

Re: WHEN DID THEY DROP THE OUTROS???

Post by jimimac71 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmcMH-XcKQY
My favorite of them all.
Being a fan of Tiffany's did got me lots of disagreements on the old forum.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

They could save money by lowering David Zaslav's 39 million dollar salary.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jameselliot wrote: August 28th, 2023, 9:30 pm They could save money by lowering David Zaslav's 39 million dollar salary.
Funny how corporations in cost-cutting mode always look for cost savings from the rank and file, but never attack the low-hanging fruit of excessive corporate compensation. Typically the CEO will get even more compensation if the cost-cutting produces results that Wall Street analysts are looking for. That said, a lot of top execs don't have large salaries, but stock bonuses and the like, so most of their compensation comes out of a different budget bucket, but it all impacts the bottom line one way or another.

I went through this about 20 years ago after our company was bought by a larger firm that proceeded to buy two more companies after ours - all within a 3 year period. It took 4-5 years to fully integrate all 4 companies into one, and while it was being done, the mantra was "Cash is King." They were looking for savings wherever they could. Our company was largely left alone, for a time, because our revenue came from billing the customer for our labor rather than making stuff, whereas the others were more product-oriented. If they cut our people, they cut their revenue. About the only impact was the dismantling of our corporate library and some consolidation of middle- and upper-management as reorgs occurred.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jameselliot wrote: August 28th, 2023, 9:30 pm They could save money by lowering David Zaslav's 39 million dollar salary.
HA! That'll be the day. :(
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: August 29th, 2023, 9:59 am
Gotta say, I'd love to know how much the hosts actually make.
Oh, and how much it costs to operate the studio.
Were the exit videos eliminated because of host costs or studio costs?
Some other reason? Since they are coming back, who knows.
39 Million is a lot of money for someone who probably can't throw a football.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: August 29th, 2023, 3:22 pm
Hibi wrote: August 29th, 2023, 9:59 am
Gotta say, I'd love to know how much the hosts actually make.
Oh, and how much it costs to operate the studio.
Were the exit videos eliminated because of host costs or studio costs?
Some other reason? Since they are coming back, who knows.
39 Million is a lot of money for someone who probably can't throw a football.
It's a lot for anyone, even for someone who can throw a football, baseball, or shoot a basket. I foresee some salary cuts coming, if only because the networks can't afford to keep paying outrageous rights fees (because fewer people are subscribing to cable, and it's difficult to get the same amount of revenue from direct-to-viewer models, like streaming). The NFL may be OK, but the other sports may have some trouble in the future.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Outros are back, but they must hive fired the fact checker.

In the last few days, Ben referred to Dirk Bogarde as she, and sain that there was a film version of Little Women in 1999, when it was actually 1994.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

CinemaInternational wrote: September 16th, 2023, 6:22 pm Outros are back, but they must hive fired the fact checker.

In the last few days, Ben referred to Dirk Bogarde as she, and sain that there was a film version of Little Women in 1999, when it was actually 1994.
Ben is writing his own material due to the strike.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

There was an episode of Matlock, where the writers played pranks on the news reporter who never read anything in advance.
The Russian spies Boris and Natasha. He didn't bite until the mention of Moose and Squirrel.
I could write for Ben except nothing is live or cold copy.
For me, the hosts participation equates to the likes of a commercial.
I say that except for Eddie Muller.
I don't watch Noir Alley. I recently watched his in/out work for Doris Day's "Julie."
I love his Noir Alley promos and got "Noir Bar" for my mother.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: September 16th, 2023, 6:22 pm Outros are back, but they must hive fired the fact checker.

Are you kidding me???? They must be doing outros only for certain films. I've seen a lot lately w/no outros!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 16th, 2023, 7:06 pm

Ben is writing his own material due to the strike.
Badly, it seems!
monsieur_sniffles

Post by monsieur_sniffles »

They fired that fact checker A LONG time ago... (if you don't remember, Tiffany Vazquez was especially egregious. If the old board is archived, there was a ongoing thread dedicated to her gaffes, that was lengthy)

Anyway, the Friedkin tribute had outros (although, they honored the memory of his work by showing censored
versions of his films)
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

monsieur_sniffles wrote: September 20th, 2023, 4:41 am [

Anyway, the Friedkin tribute had outros (although, they honored the memory of his work by showing censored
versions of his films)
Ben announced that they were showing the original theatrical version of The French Connection, and it was shown uncut.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The Friedkin tribute was probably filmed after the outroless (a word?) films were finished. I wonder when outros will be back on the schedule? How far in advance do they film them? I just watched Angel Face last night and no outro!
Last edited by Hibi on September 20th, 2023, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monsieur_sniffles

Post by monsieur_sniffles »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: September 20th, 2023, 7:37 am

Ben announced that they were showing the original theatrical version of The French Connection, and it was shown uncut.
Whoops

I only saw the last ten minutes and assumed it was the 'nu' censored version as 1) it was really blue 2) that's what they've run the last three times they played it (even during Friedkin's TCM fest q&a)

I would say the people attempting to sell "ORIGINAL UNCUT" dvds on ebay for $80 are probably real sad, but then again, that's probably the absolute last time they'll ever broadcast that version. (since they're not honoring the dga's request to include a "this film has been modified" disclaimer--which makes it sort of funny they had Mankiewicz add that in the opening--they're obviously hoping that people forget there even is an original version. "See? That's the 'theatrical' version. Since this isn't a theater we wouldn't play that version anyway...")