Bug Night

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ElCid

Bug Night

Post by ElCid »

Today, Sep. 18 is bug night on TCM. Several good ones from the 50's - Them, Tarantula, The Black Scorpion, The Wasp Woman.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Re: Bug Night

Post by Hibi »

Wish they'd scheduled this on the wknd! I'll record Wasp Woman (a guilty pleasure) I might record a few of the others too though I've seen them all.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: September 18th, 2023, 4:39 pm Wish they'd scheduled this on the wknd! I'll record Wasp Woman (a guilty pleasure) I might record a few of the others too though I've seen them all.
I also find Wasp Woman to be a guilty pleasure. Aren't you going to see Tarantula with John Agar and Mara Corday? It was my understanding that you were a fan of Mara (or was that some other "B" sci-fi actress from the 50s?).
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on September 18th, 2023, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

In my high school biology class, we were required to have an insect collection. My teacher went nuts if anybody said "bug collection." That's when I learned that all bugs were insects, but not all insects were bugs.

Hope this doesn't bug anyone.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

scsu1975 wrote: September 18th, 2023, 7:30 pm In my high school biology class, we were required to have an insect collection. My teacher went nuts if anybody said "bug collection." That's when I learned that all bugs were insects, but not all insects were bugs.

I used something similar with my current staff who are responsible for collecting medical transactions on a per service basis for Workers Compensation claims.

I asked them to define a weed: now the good news is that about half knew that a weed was an undesirable plant. The other half believed weeds were specific types of plant. NOT! I used this example: Is a tulip a weed? In a Rose Garden it is! Then I related this to their work, which is spotting data quality issues with the reported data, e.g., a pharmacy performing a surgical procedure. That quality has to be put in context. A surgical procedure isn't a 'weed' unless it is being billed by a type of medical provider that isn't allowed to perform surgical procedures.

(sorry for the run on!).

Masha

Post by Masha »

scsu1975 wrote: September 18th, 2023, 7:30 pm In my high school biology class, we were required to have an insect collection. My teacher went nuts if anybody said "bug collection." That's when I learned that all bugs were insects, but not all insects were bugs.

My little Fuzzy's ex-mother-in-law called them all: creepycrawlyuppias. I believe this skirts traditional designations.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

I had spilled the means to mother that I hated insects and she would not let me see Tarantula when it was first in the theaters. So I couldn't see it then and I have never seen it since. I could take it for sure now but I feel jinxed. I have seen Them! with no ill effects (back then). And it has not been my pleasure to see The Black Scorpion nor The Wasp Woman. Nor will I, ever.
Mona
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

too bad they forgot the ''GRASSHOPPERS IN CHICAGO'' w/Peter Graves flick :lol:

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

ziggy6708a wrote: September 19th, 2023, 2:56 am too bad they forgot the ''GRASSHOPPERS IN CHICAGO'' w/Peter Graves flick :lol:

Anyone who has seen the movie would like to forget it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 18th, 2023, 7:19 pm
Hibi wrote: September 18th, 2023, 4:39 pm Wish they'd scheduled this on the wknd! I'll record Wasp Woman (a guilty pleasure) I might record a few of the others too though I've seen them all.
I also find Wasp Woman to be a guilty pleasure. Aren't you going to see Tarantula with John Agar and Mara Corday? It was my understanding that you were a fan of Mara (or was that some other "B" sci-fi actress from the 50s?).
I watched Tarantula not too long ago on Svengoolie so I didn't record that, but I did record Scorpion. Another Corday classic! :D Yes, I'm a fan! LOL.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

scsu1975 wrote: September 19th, 2023, 7:38 am
ziggy6708a wrote: September 19th, 2023, 2:56 am too bad they forgot the ''GRASSHOPPERS IN CHICAGO'' w/Peter Graves flick :lol:

Anyone who has seen the movie would like to forget it.
LOL! I love the scenes where the Hoppers are climbing skyscrapers!
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Hibi wrote: September 19th, 2023, 9:02 am
LOL! I love the scenes where the Hoppers are climbing skyscrapers!
With all the guns in Chicago now, those grasshoppers wouldn't stand a chance.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I haven't seen Beginning of the End so will have to try and find it on YouTube or Tubi.
Very much like Tarantula, The Black Scorpion and Them! with Them! being favored. Have all three on DVD's.
I tend to get The Wasp Woman and The Leech Woman confused, but both are entertaining.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ElCid wrote: September 19th, 2023, 3:49 pm I haven't seen Beginning of the End so will have to try and find it on YouTube or Tubi.
Very much like Tarantula, The Black Scorpion and Them! with Them! being favored. Have all three on DVD's.
I tend to get The Wasp Woman and The Leech Woman confused, but both are entertaining.
They both have the same sexist 50s plot lines. Aging females who think they've found the fountain of youth, only to find it has bad side effects and meet bad ends!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Despite it's somewhat sexist plot line, it's The Leech Woman's husband who is the b_itch, for abusing her because he considers her no longer beautiful as she ages. She gets her revenge on him, with a little help from the Nando tribe and this lady:

I'm not actually certain that the plot line is truly sexist, since The Leech Woman does acquire a sort of agency, as she seeks the pineal juices of the men she has to murder.
Last edited by Swithin on September 20th, 2023, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.