For Dargo: You Can't Drive Home Again

Chit-chat, current events
NoShear

For Dargo: You Can't Drive Home Again

Post by NoShear »

Dargo, I recently visited the Hollywood Heritage Museum for the current Norma Shearer Exhibition. The awesome exhibit is housed in the old Jesse L. Lasky/Cecil B. DeMille barn/gym which was relocated from the Paramount Pictures lot to a parking lot across from the Hollywood Bowl in 1982:

I had a bit of time to proverbially kill, so I headed out to the Valley and took a brief turnaround on Riverside Drive where Barris Kustom City had inhabited for many years, since gone - the first sad sight of its demise for me...
A Batmobile work-in-progress as it once sat on the Barris lawn:

The iconic car in its first incarnation ten years earlier:

When I first encountered a photo of the Lincoln Futura concept that you once posted on the TCM Message Boards, Dargo, I didn't know of your designing aspirations so, in retrospect, I now can see how much that metallic mind-snapper might be viewed by you.
Dargo

Re: For Dargo: You Can't Drive Home Again

Post by Dargo »

Hi NS! Glad to see you around here now.

Yep, as you might know, the Lincoln Futura concept car was a major "character" you might say in the 1959 rom-com 'It Started with a Kiss' starring Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds.

And btw, if you ever find yourself traveling up the eastern side of the Sierras on Hwy 395, another very cool movie-themed museum is the Museum of Western Film History, located in Lone Pine, CA:

https://museumofwesternfilmhistory.org

And speaking of movie cars, one of the displays there is Bogart's actual 1938 Plymouth Deluxe Coupe that he drove in his star-making film, 'High Sierra'..

NoShear

Re: For Dargo: You Can't Drive Home Again

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: October 10th, 2023, 3:51 pm Hi NS! Glad to see you around here now.

Yep, as you might know, the Lincoln Futura concept car was a major "character" you might say in the 1959 rom-com 'It Started with a Kiss' starring Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds.

And btw, if you ever find yourself traveling up the eastern side of the Sierras on Hwy 395, another very cool movie-themed museum is the Museum of Western Film History, located in Lone Pine, CA:

https://museumofwesternfilmhistory.org

Thanks, Dargo!!
Thank you for the Museum of Western Film History link as well: I don't recall having previously known of the place. Probably due to being a bit too geocentric when it comes to movie locations - I think I once shared this site with you:

https://iversonmovieranch.blogspot.com/

Mostly or all that's left of the Iverson Movie Ranch are a bunch of rocks:

The idea of traipsing around trails in the heat of Chatsworth to demonstrate my fondness for Norma Shearer doesn't really grab me much and, besides, I have this image that I'm going to run into some updated version of the following, Dargo:

Image ;)