December 2023 Schedule Posted, Cary Grant is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

December 2023 Schedule Posted, Cary Grant is SOTM

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for December, 2023.
Cary Grant is Star of the Month, his 4th time.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
Hibi

Re: December 2023 Schedule Posted, Cary Grant is SOTM

Post by Hibi »

More films that are shown throughout the year. I guess he's a good holiday choice, A lot of comedies.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Don't believe I've ever seen so many films repeated in the same month.
Many showing 4 times. I wasn't exactly counting but the repeats were obvious.
Not a bad schedule though.
Reminds me of the format change episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
Andy brings Johnny a stack of maybe a dozen albums, like the will go far.
https://digg.com/video/dr-johnny-fever- ... cincinnati
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

I hope That Touch Of Mink will be one of the TBA movies shown during the Cary Grant Star Of The Month tribute.
I saw it for the first time this past April at the TCM Film Festival.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm I hope That Touch Of Mink will be one of the TBA movies shown during the Cary Grant Star Of The Month tribute.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It's probably anathema to say this about a movie starring Cary Grant and Doris Day, but my favorite part is seeing Audrey Meadows in one of her rare film roles. One of my all-time favorite movie lines is when her boss at the Automat, Richard Deacon, catches her shoveling free food out to Doris and asks her curtly "Do you know this company's policy on giving away free food?", to which Audrey replies drily "No, sir. Are we for it or against it?" Priceless.

TCM showed Stanley Donen's The Grass is Greener (1960) a few years ago and I liked it for the great cast, Cary, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons and Deborah Kerr, even though it was kind of standard British drawing room comedy. And I love Donen's Indiscreet (1958) with Ingrid Bergman; very smart and clever, with good British character actors we don't always get to see. And it would be fun to see Operation Petticoat (1959) with Tony Curtis again. There are definitely Grant movies which don't get trotted out every single time. I'd even like to see the dismal Fox service comedy Kiss Them for Me (1957) with Jayne Mansfield and Suzy Parker, just to see something different.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:00 pm Don't believe I've ever seen so many films repeated in the same month.
Many showing 4 times. I wasn't exactly counting but the repeats were obvious.
Not a bad schedule though.
Reminds me of the format change episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
Andy brings Johnny a stack of maybe a dozen albums, like the will go far.
https://digg.com/video/dr-johnny-fever- ... cincinnati
Well, Dec. is a low viewership month. They are probably trying to save money.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I Love Melvin wrote: October 25th, 2023, 2:45 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm I hope That Touch Of Mink will be one of the TBA movies shown during the Cary Grant Star Of The Month tribute.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It's probably anathema to say this about a movie starring Cary Grant and Doris Day, but my favorite part is seeing Audrey Meadows in one of her rare film roles. One of my all-time favorite movie lines is when her boss at the Automat, Richard Deacon, catches her shoveling free food out to Doris and asks her curtly "Do you know this company's policy on giving away free food?", to which Audrey replies drily "No, sir. Are we for it or against it?" Priceless.

TCM showed Stanley Donen's The Grass is Greener (1960) a few years ago and I liked it for the great cast, Cary, Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons and Deborah Kerr, even though it was kind of standard British drawing room comedy. And I love Donen's Indiscreet (1958) with Ingrid Bergman; very smart and clever, with good British character actors we don't always get to see. And it would be fun to see Operation Petticoat (1959) with Tony Curtis again. There are definitely Grant movies which don't get trotted out every single time. I'd even like to see the dismal Fox service comedy Kiss Them for Me (1957) with Jayne Mansfield and Suzy Parker, just to see something different.

Yes, Audrey gets all the big laughs in the film. Some great lines and her delivery makes them even funnier!
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TCM tends to pick a big, well known star for December. I remember Joan Blondell, Dick Powell and (I think) Ingrid Bergman in previous years. I also always notice that December tends to be an amalgamation of other programming themes that we saw throughout the year--a highlight reel of sorts, with Christmas movies scattered within. New Years Eve is TBA but I'm sure it'll be "The Thin Man" and "That's Entertainment." I don't remember if it was TCM or AMC (back in the day), but I remember New Years marathons of The Marx Brothers. As much as I love The Thin Man, I wish TCM would alternate themes. I've seen most of the Cary Grant movies scheduled and I'm happy to see that the Christmas programming is limited to just a week this time instead of scattered throughout the month. I like Christmas movies, but I own the ones I like, I don't need to see them scheduled 4-5x on TCM. Even my fave movie, "The Long Long Trailer" which is not a Christmas film, but it fits the overall family tone of the season, is scheduled more than once. Despite what everyone might think, I do NOT watch this film each time it's scheduled. It's been scheduled a lot in the recent couple of years. I also have the blu ray, so I can watch it whenever I want and I've seen it at least 100 times so I could even play the film in my mind! Lol.

I love the Alfred Hitchcock movies scheduled Christmas Day evening. I also loved the year that they scheduled film noir to air Christmas Day evening. I don't know about everyone else, but by the time Christmas rolls around, I'm so sick of hearing about it that I welcome a respite from the constant Christmas imagery and music that's been bombarding me the last 4 months or so.

I like the Noir Alley premieres and selections this month. "Beware, My Lovely" with Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan is excellent. I highly recommend it. Ida is amazing as always and Robert Ryan is terrifying in this film. While I'm aware that the films scheduled during the "Bird" block do not actually have to do with birds, I like the idea of it because I like birds. Surprisingly they did not schedule the most obvious choice, "The Birds," but I guess we can't have everything. I also like the idea of the "Cool" spotlight, because I always enjoy the actors who fall under the "cool" header. It seems a bit of a subjective topic, so I'll be interested to see how TCM introduces it. It looks like it starts with the most obvious choices--actors who have been typically labeled as "cool," e.g. James Dean, Dean Martin, Steve McQueen, etc.

There's a lot that's still TBA, so it'll be interesting what films end up in those slots.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It's been awhile since I've seen That Touch of Mink. I was also at the TCM film festival in April, but my husband and I were taking part in the opening night festivities. We saw Rio Bravo as our opening night film.

While That Touch of Mink isn't my favorite Cary Grant or Doris Day film, my favorite parts of this movie were the scenes at the automat and later the scenes with the computer going insane and spitting cards everywhere. Any movie with an Automat scene or an old-timey computer scene is a winner in my book.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I love Christmas in Connecticut.
Love S. Z. Sakall. (Cuddles)
Not so obvious, right?
Okay ...Barbara Stanwyck ...too.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

It looks like the TV miniseries version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER is scheduled for December.
I've only ever seen the 188 minute theatrical cut, which has been shown on TCM before.
I like the theatrical cut, but it will good to the mini-series cut (312 minutes), which is how Ingmar Bergman originally conceived the story before he was forced to make cuts for the the original theatrical release.

The mini-series supposedly had 5 episodes, but I only see 4 episodes on the schedule posted in this thread.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm It looks like the TV miniseries version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER is scheduled for December.
I've only ever seen the 188 minute theatrical cut, which has been shown on TCM before.
I like the theatrical cut, but it will good to the mini-series cut (312 minutes), which is how Ingmar Bergman originally conceived the story before he was forced to make cuts for the the original theatrical release.

The mini-series supposedly had 5 episodes, but I only see 4 episodes on the schedule posted in this thread.
TCM is likely sourcing Fanny and Alexander from Criterion.

The Criterion Channel lists 4 episodes for the series with a total run time of 312 minutes, so it looks like they are good to go. Here is the breakdown:

Episode 1 - 1:32:57
Episode 2 - 1:15:26
Episode 3 - 57:14
Episode 4 - 1:26:58

https://www.criterionchannel.com/search ... %20episode
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I have seen every single Cary Grant film, these are my top ten favorites in chronological order-

1. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
2. Gunga Din (1939)
3. Penny Serenade (1941)
4. Arsenic And Old Lace (1944)
5. The Bishop's Wife (1947)
6. People Will Talk (1951)
7. Houseboat (1958)
8. North By Northwest (1959)
9. Charade (1963)
10. Father Goose (1964)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm It looks like the TV miniseries version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER is scheduled for December.

I'd only seen the theatrical cut. I hope I remember to watch this.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

My top 10 Cary Grant Films in chorological order:

The Awful Truth
Bringing Up Baby
Holiday
Gunda Din
Only Angels Have Wings
His Girl Friday
My Favorite Wife
The Philadelphia Story