Explanation of New Shift in Streaming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ElCid

Re: Explanation of New Shift in Streaming

Post by ElCid »

I Love Melvin wrote: November 9th, 2023, 5:18 pm What I'm curious about is the concept of "ownership" in terms of series and films which streaming platforms offer to either rent or "buy". How does that hold up over time when platforms are so much in flux? The fees to "buy" a new movie aren't cheap either, usually around $20. It seems to me that there's no guarantee that your "purchase" would be honored indefintely and then you'd be out of your investment. I remember a friend telling me in earlier days that he had "purchased" a season of a favorite show from a cable provider but that the owner of the rights to the show had withdrawn it and he was left with nothing and no way to claim "ownership". I'm an old curmudgeon when it comes to technology, so I'll stick to DVD's and CD's for maintaining a library. What happened to all the $$ people paid to download music to their I-Pods, only to have the technology change and I-Pods go bye-bye? I'm so glad I still have (or did until I started downsizing) physical media (LP's, etc.) I've collected since high school. There's going to be a whole generation now which will only have access to the movie and musical memories of their youth by paying for it all over again (and again and again) instead of having a library pf their own.
We still purchase CD's and DVD's although we also "subscribe" to "free" streaming services. Over the past few years have noticed that the free streaming services have increased the number of commercial breaks and the length of the commercials.
If want to record a movie or program from "TV," record it to a DVD. We do not have any music, movies, entertainment, etc. on our cheap cell phones.
We use USB's to record CD's so we can play them in the cars. Did record some of the LP's that we have had for decades, but no longer purchase LP's. Works for us.
Based on the numbers of catalogs and internet sites, still a lot of people who want to own a CD, DVD, LP, etc.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

ElCid wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:46 pm
We still purchase CD's and DVD's although we also "subscribe" to "free" streaming services. Over the past few years have noticed that the free streaming services have increased the number of commercial breaks and the length of the commercials.
If want to record a movie or program from "TV," record it to a DVD. We do not have any music, movies, entertainment, etc. on our cheap cell phones.
We use USB's to record CD's so we can play them in the cars. Did record some of the LP's that we have had for decades, but no longer purchase LP's. Works for us.
Based on the numbers of catalogs and internet sites, still a lot of people who want to own a CD, DVD, LP, etc.
In one way or another advertising has dictated practically everything about popular entertainment for years now, so they're going to sneak it in any way they can and as often as they can. I also use USB to listen while driving; I had to buy a new truck a few years ago and was shocked that there was no CD player, not even the option of one.

I remember when CD's came in and you couldn't even give vinyl away. I'm sure a lot of it just ended up in the hopper at the dump. Now classic vinyl gets big bucks and most new releases have at least some vinyl component. When DVD's came in, same thing: you couldn't even give VHS away, but now I notice in every thrift store I go to much of the shelf space DVD's were once getting is going to VHS tapes now, I guess because 80's and 90's kids are coming of age and getting nostalgic. I find some great DVD's at the local recycling center and I usually get my pick of them because they sit there week after week. But I know DVD's will have their day again too, based on what's happened to all the other past technologies. To me having a good copy of a movie I can just pull out and watch is primary, and who says the movie I want to see is even available for streaming; I'm pretty vanilla but I have some oddball tastes too and I know for sure those films aren't being streamed. I've narrowed down my pleasures the older I get, but I know I'll always want access to the movies I love.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I Love Melvin wrote: November 12th, 2023, 7:01 pm
ElCid wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:46 pm
In one way or another advertising has dictated practically everything about popular entertainment for years now, so they're going to sneak it in any way they can and as often as they can. I also use USB to listen while driving; I had to buy a new truck a few years ago and was shocked that there was no CD player, not even the option of one.

I remember when CD's came in and you couldn't even give vinyl away. I'm sure a lot of it just ended up in the hopper at the dump. Now classic vinyl gets big bucks and most new releases have at least some vinyl component. When DVD's came in, same thing: you couldn't even give VHS away, but now I notice in every thrift store I go to much of the shelf space DVD's were once getting is going to VHS tapes now, I guess because 80's and 90's kids are coming of age and getting nostalgic. I find some great DVD's at the local recycling center and I usually get my pick of them because they sit there week after week. But I know DVD's will have their day again too, based on what's happened to all the other past technologies. To me having a good copy of a movie I can just pull out and watch is primary, and who says the movie I want to see is even available for streaming; I'm pretty vanilla but I have some oddball tastes too and I know for sure those films aren't being streamed. I've narrowed down my pleasures the older I get, but I know I'll always want access to the movies I love.
We get several catalogs selling DVD's and CD's so there is a market for them. We just sent off an order for several DVD's.
Several years ago I purchased a Ford Taurus and CD player was not available unless you got the SHO (speed freak) version. But the dealer took the car to an audio place and they installed a CD player. Player was in trunk (in a protected spot) and sent a signal by wire to the radio and one station was for the CD player. Held six CD's. My wife's 2014 SUV has a single CD player and my 2010 car has a six CD changer and Music Register (download CD's to memory in car). Have a thousand songs in Music Register memory and can remove or add at will. As far as I know, nobody makes either anymore.
But I believe there are still audio shops that can install a CD player.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

ElCid wrote: November 13th, 2023, 5:03 pm But I believe there are still audio shops that can install a CD player.
I bought an external disc drive for $24 that plugs into a new car's many USB ports.
You just play your CDs through that.
It helps to have a "cubby" shelf for your drive to securely sit in though.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

While I subscribe to a couple of streaming services, a huge part of my streaming is my own collection, ripped from DVDs and Blu-ray discs and stored on a machine at home. I can stream my own stuff anywhere in the world on my own devices, or on a smart TV at a hotel that allows me to install the app I use (many do these days; you just remove your credentials when you leave...and don't forget to do that! :lol:) Doing it this way ensures that for the movies and shows I really care about, I'm not at the whims of the studios and corporations should they decide to stop offering something. It's mine.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

TikiSoo wrote: November 14th, 2023, 5:43 am
ElCid wrote: November 13th, 2023, 5:03 pm But I believe there are still audio shops that can install a CD player.
I bought an external disc drive for $24 that plugs into a new car's many USB ports.
You just play your CDs through that.
It helps to have a "cubby" shelf for your drive to securely sit in though.
I looked on one electronics company's website and responses from manufacturers stated the ones they sold would not work on a car system. I do not patronize Amazon, etc. so all those are off limits.
What brand is your disc drive? Does it require batteries? Thanks.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

For a very long time, Crutchfield have been experts in car stereo.
https://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

jimimac71 wrote: November 17th, 2023, 4:22 pm For a very long time, Crutchfield have been experts in car stereo.
https://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx
Received a Crutchfield catalog last week. Haven't purchased from them in many years, but they are a helpful resource. Unfortunately most of their stuff is fairly expensive - and somewhat complicated for car audio.