Gay and Streaming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
HoldenIsHere

Re: Gay and Streaming

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 1:19 pm With respect, Tiki, people hate all kinds of things. But nevertheless there is still right and wrong in this world, and it would be the right thing to do, now that it has been requested, to set up the LGBTQ+ forum in the Films section.
I agree with TikiSoo on this one, Swithin.

LGBTQ+ is not an actual movie genre.

To me having a separate LGBTQ+ forum on a movie discussion board is demeaning.
It would be the same as having a "Black" forum or a "Jewish" forum in my opinion.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

We had it on TCM, they have it in "the other place." I think it is a separate genre, and it represents a kid of "safe space" as well. If someone wants to propose a section for the other topics you mention, that's fine too.

Even MovieChat.org has one, in its "Genre Zone" section. It's the norm now.

https://moviechat.org

But even if it is not exactly-precisely-perfectly an "actual movie genre," it's still the right thing to do.
Last edited by Swithin on November 19th, 2023, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:20 pm We had it on TCM, they have it in "the other place." I think it is a separate genre, and it represents a kid of "safe space" as well. If someone wants to propose a section for the other topics you mention, that's fine too.

https://moviechat.org/bd0000164/LGBT-Film

But even if it is not exactly-precisely-perfectly an "actual movie genre," it's still the right thing to do.
I propose we start a "hillbilly" forum then.

It's only fair,
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:25 pm
Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:20 pm We had it on TCM, they have it in "the other place." I think it is a separate genre, and it represents a kid of "safe space" as well. If someone wants to propose a section for the other topics you mention, that's fine too.

It's only fair,
Holden, I'm surprised at you.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:28 pm

It's only fair,
I agree with Holden: LGBT+ is not a genre.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:32 pm

It's only fair,
In that list where I would like to see the LGBTQ+ section, there are sections called "The People of Film;" and "Talk About Modern Films." It's not exclusively a genre section, if you must get into semantics about sensitivities.

Here are some perceptive comments made earlier today by I Love Melvin:

"It's unfortunate that there's no designated LGBTQ+ sub-forum, but I think kingrat made the right decision to just start the discussion in the only way available to him. Yes, even though it's been posted "out of sight", each new posting appears at the top of the Board Index page. It seems like there's been a general show of respect and an agreement to pass over the thread by those who aren't interested or may take offence, so hopefully it's something which can thrive."
jamesjazzguitar

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:42 pm

In that list where I would like to see the LGBTQ+ section, there are sections called "The People of Film;" and "Talk About Modern Films." It's not exclusively a genre section, if you must get into semantics about sensitivities.

"It's unfortunate that there's no designated LGBTQ+ sub-forum, but I think kingrat made the right decision to just start the discussion in the only way available to him. Yes, even though it's been posted "out of sight", each new posting appears at the top of the Board Index page. It seems like there's been a general show of respect and an agreement to pass over the thread by those who aren't interested or may take offence, so hopefully it's something which can thrive."
That some people don't agree with you appears to surprise you.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:48 pm

I guess in this context, yes, it does surprise me. Early on, when I joined the SSO Board, I wondered why there was no gay-related section (as there is on so many other film sites), but I didn't mention it, because rightly or wrongly, it was my impression that such a section would be unwelcome here, and that if I suggested it, people would come up with all kinds of reasons why an LGBTQ+ section shouldn't exist, and that those reasons would be couched in terms that seemed logical and politically workable for the writers. But since the topic has been brought up today by others, as a gay man, I've had to chime in. How could I not?

Remember all the fuss we had a year or so ago with our request for a "Like" button. Those against it seemed to feel that the world would come to an end, if one were instituted. Yet we have a "Like" button, and life has gone on. And although I'm not a sensitive person, and I'm certainly not one to be easily offended, I have to say, I have been offended by some of the discussion and lack of understanding here today.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Well, Leave It to Beaver has a definitely obvious straight subtext. :smiley_innocent:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:59 pm
I guess in this context, yes, it does surprise me. Early on, when I joined the SSO Board, I wondered why there was no gay-related section (as there is on so many other film sites), but I didn't mention it, because rightly or wrongly, it was my impression that such a section would be unwelcome here, and that if I suggested it, people would come up with all kinds of reasons why an LGBTQ+ section shouldn't exist, and that those reasons would be couched in terms that seemed logical and politically workable for the writers. But since the topic has been brought up today by others, as a gay man, I've had to chime in. How could I not?

Remember all the fuss we had a year or so ago with our request for a "Like" button. Those against it seemed to feel that the world would come to an end, if one were instituted. Yet we have a "Like" button, and life has gone on. And although I'm not a sensitive person, and I'm certainly not one to be easily offended, I have to say, I have been offended by some of the discussion and lack of understanding here today.
I'm just getting back to the discussion and it seems like you got stuck holding down the fort. I'm a little surprised too since it seems to be developing into a divisive issue. It's depressing to me that we're already at the point of taking sides, never a good omen. Even if someone were to somehow "win" there's bound to be lingering fallout. I support the idea of an LGBTQ+ section, not because I'd want to keep my thoughts away from others as much as for the fact that it would give others the choice to hear them or not; I haven't lived in a bubble all these years so I know it's not for everyone, for whatever reasons, and everyone has to decide for themselves what those reasons are. But the way the board is set up, anything posted there would still take the latest spot at the top of the board index, so I'm not sure that goal could be met. It's a puzzlement. I have to say I don't understand the idea that it's not appropriate for a movie site on the grounds that there aren't "gay" movies, As Swithin said, it's common enough on other sites. Go to Netflix or Prime or most other streaming sites and type in "gay movies". You'll get a whole menu. Just saying.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Personal Note: I met a man in San Francisco, maybe 20 years ago, who is blind.
He is blind because he is gay. He was beaten blind.
We continue to have people who are afraid of what they don't understand.
Most personally, a favorite lady of mine has cancer and may have a day or two left in life. Life is short. I support people, whoever they.are.
I'm straight. My brother is left handed. It is what it is.
A pal of mine is gay. Says he is wired different.
I very much support Swithin and I Love Melvin because they deserve a place on this forum they can call there own. I believe the SSO team will make a positive choice so no one is left in an uncomfortable situation.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Another suggestion for Gay and Streaming attention is Spoiler Alert (2022) with Jim Parsons, Ben Aldridge and Sally Field, which I believe underperformed on its theatrical release but is well worth catching up with. It's based on a 2017 memoir Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies by Michael Ausiello and the movie similarly lays out its cards at the outset by beginning with the death scene and then retracing the evolution of the relationship between the two male characters. Jim plays a magazine writer (Michael) who meets-cute with a photographer (Kit) and struggles to overcome his awkwardness over his own perceived unattractiveness. Over the course of the film the initial cuteness dissolves as the couple enter a seriously rough patch involving alcoholism and fidelity issues, but they reconnect as Kit is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and the story unfolds from there to its already visualized conclusion. Sally Field plays Kit's mother who, once she's brought up to speed, really digs in in support of the couple. Her performance is a standout and her scenes with Parsons are some of the best in the film. I caught it on Peacock when it first began streaming but I'm not sure where it's posted at the moment.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
jamesjazzguitar

Swithin wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:59 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:48 pm

Note that my only disagreement was related to what is a genre. I have no issue with the creation of a separate sub-forum, especially if that is what others desire.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Now, I'm all for this thread here mind you, but as a straight man I'd like to see a little more talk about lipstick lesbians in this thing from time to time! ;)

So, would this be too much to ask for here? LOL

Hey, and speaking of which...

I've just found this pic of Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly who starred together as lovers in the 1996 neo-noir 'Bound', and in which they somewhat recreate (not in the film, as Gershon plays it more butch in the movie) the famous shot of Sophia Loren peering over at Jayne Mansfield...