Disney's "Zorro" TV series (1958-1959)

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
KayFrancis

Re: Disney's "Zorro" TV series (1958-1959)

Post by KayFrancis »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 6th, 2023, 3:14 pm
Lomm wrote: December 6th, 2023, 1:43 pm I love this show. Guy Williams is my favorite Zorro. I got a copy of the show on DVD many years ago (when it was still readily available and cheap, as opposed to now!), and I rewatch it every few years.
I think I like TYRONE POWER best...

I love Tyrone, he's one of my very favorite actors. He was so great as Zorro, he's also my favorite Zorro :)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, I'd have to say Ty is my favorite Zorro as well.

However, I do remember thinking Antonio Banderas was pretty darn good in 1998's 'The Mask or Zorro', too.

(...when, of course, I could manage to tear my eyes away from that gorgeous Zeta-Jones babe, anyway) ;)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Tyrone Power was an excellent Zorro, but Guy had a charisma about him as Don Diego that beats all. I think Antonio Banderas was the most convincing Zorro, in costume, but Williams was the total package.

My rankings of Zorros (Zorri? :lol:) that I have seen:
Guy Williams
Tyrone Power
Antonio Banderas
Duncan Regehr (90s show, which is also quite good)
Douglas Fairbanks
Anthony Hopkins
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 5th, 2023, 9:38 pm So, this series predates my birth and, for the longest time, I would just hear about it having existed some time ago, but having no way to ever catch up with it.

Luckily, the entire run of the series is now available on Disney+ and it has been a delight to watch every single episode - they happen to look pristine since evidently the series was shot on film and today's technology allows the direct transfer from 35mm film to HD versions.

While admittedly very old-fashioned, and engaging in an amount of appropriation that would almost certainly never be allowed today, the series is also undeniably fun. Guy Williams is a great action hero and has more than the expected amount of star charisma. The supporting cast - including the guys playing Bernardo (Gene Sheldon) and Sergeant Garcia (Henry Calvin) - are always superb. Once in a while, they would get a major star for a few episodes - including Cesar Romero, Everett Sloane, Richard Anderson, Annette Funicello, and Jonathan Harris.

My understanding is that, prior to the series being available on D+, it could only be watched on very hard-to-find and usually super-expensive OOP DVDs. The good thing is, now anybody can binge the whole series with their D+ subscription!m
Nellie, this is true: "My understanding is that, prior to the series being available on D+, it could only be watched on very hard-to-find and usually super-expensive OOP DVDs."

The same used to be true for "The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure" HARDY BOYS serial from the original MICKEY MOUSE CLUB.
I think there was a more recent release about 10 years ago.
I hope those eventually come to Disney+ as well.
I don't think the second HARDY BOYS serial has ever been released on DVD
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

KayFrancis wrote: December 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm
I remember also watching a show called Diver Dan around the same time period as Zorro. Anyone else remember Diver Dan?
Yes, I remember Diver Dan.The fish were pretty stupid looking. There are a few episodes on YouTube.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

LOL, never wrote I liked the Diver Dan show, just that I remembered
It being on although I don't remember specifics about the show. I was just wondering if anyone else remembered it. Thanks for the heads up about youtube, I'll check it out and see if it brings back any memories.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Lomm wrote: December 6th, 2023, 3:52 pm Tyrone Power was an excellent Zorro, but Guy had a charisma about him as Don Diego that beats all.
Lomm, yeah sure, Guy Williams had charisma alright (which unfortunately, IMO, he later lost in that lame 'Lost in Space' series) however and as I recall, he never played Don Diego in the series as being either faux-effete nor faux-effeminate, and something of which I always thought added a nice touch to the character's supposed double life, and in addition made the idea of the local constabulary never being able to put two and two together in this regard much more believable.

(...and so with this being another reason why I'd say Tyrone Power would be my favorite Zorro, as he playacts that aspect to the character very well, I've always thought)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

KayFrancis wrote: December 6th, 2023, 3:30 pm ...I love Tyrone, he's one of my very favorite actors. He was so great as Zorro, he's also my favorite Zorro :)

You have good taste!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 19th, 2023, 8:38 pm Bit of Zorro-related trivia for you fans: of all the famous actors who appeared on Zorro, who is one that's still alive and working today? (I guarantee there is at least one right answer, maybe even more!)
I know for a fact that Antonio Banderas is "still working today", and I think Frank Langella who I remember once played Zorro in a TV-movie back in the '70s might still be working today.

(...there's two for ya anyway, Nellie)
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Dargo wrote: December 19th, 2023, 10:14 pm
Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 19th, 2023, 8:38 pm Bit of Zorro-related trivia for you fans: of all the famous actors who appeared on Zorro, who is one that's still alive and working today? (I guarantee there is at least one right answer, maybe even more!)
I know for a fact that Antonio Banderas is "still working today", and I think Frank Langella who I remember once played Zorro in a TV-movie back in the '70s might still be working today.

I think Nellie means actors on the original TV show. So Rita Moreno, for one.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 19th, 2023, 11:27 pm
Dargo wrote: December 19th, 2023, 10:14 pm

Yeah, no. The thread is about the 50s series, so obviously the question was about the Zorro TV series, not the movies that came decades later. ;)
Ah, sorry Nellie. I guess I read your line "of all the famous actors who appeared ON Zorro" as "of all the famous actors who appeared AS Zorro".

However, it looks as if Rich has named one for ya here, and considering that Rita Moreno is now 92 y/o, I doubt there would now be few if any others still around, and especially so who still might be working as an actor other than her.

(...nor even a child actor who might have had a role in an episode of the series and who might "still be working")