WONKA ('23)

ziggy6708a

WONKA ('23)

Post by ziggy6708a »

‘Wonka’ Review: Timothée Chalamet Makes a Winning Willy Wonka in a Fun Prequel That’s One of the Squarest Movie Musicals in Decades

His candymaker is a wistful young dreamer in a film where even the dark side is wholesome.

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/w ... 235810828/
=========================================

‘Wonka’ Review: Timothée Chalamet Sings, Dances and Gets Gooey in Cloying Musical Prequel

Hugh Grant, Olivia Colman and Keegan-Michael Key also appear in the origin story of Roald Dahl’s magical chocolatier, from ‘Paddington’ director Paul King.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235708988/

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Re: WONKA (2023)

Post by ziggy6708a »

as of 7-11-34

as of 10-12-23
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Re: WONKA ('23)

Post by TikiSoo »

:smiley_sick: Unbelieveable - they've successfully out-pretentious-ed Roald Dahl.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: December 12th, 2023, 6:10 am:smiley_sick: Unbelieveable - they've successfully out-pretentious-ed Roald Dahl.
I think it looks like it might be a cute holiday movie. Maybe you're just not old enough yet, Tiki. :lol:
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 9:20 am I think it looks like it might be a cute holiday movie.
The 70's Gene Wilder movie is a fave of the Tiki household.
I have suggested we see it as a family at the theater for the Holiday but have the feeling not one of us is enthusiastic about it.

But comparing the two gives great fodder for discussion over dinner, avoiding any family hot button issues.

(the little guy in the picture is a neighbor)
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: December 12th, 2023, 11:47 amThe 70's Gene Wilder movie is a fave of the Tiki household. ... (the little guy in the picture is a neighbor)
A neighbor! Neat. Wonder what he thinks of this. The orig story is just ok to me, but as long as Pure Imagination is in the score, I'm all for it - although I won't go to a theater where I'd have to mingle with ... people. :lol:
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: December 12th, 2023, 11:47 am
dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 9:20 am I think it looks like it might be a cute holiday movie.
The 70's Gene Wilder movie is a fave of the Tiki household.
I have suggested we see it as a family at the theater for the Holiday but have the feeling not one of us is enthusiastic about it.

But comparing the two gives great fodder for discussion over dinner, avoiding any family hot button issues.

(the little guy in the picture is a neighbor)
IIRC, he became a veterinarian?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I don't know what to think. I love the Gene Wilder film. The one thing I will say about this film is that the director they hired has some potential with children's films: the two Paddington films he did, were a bit pretentious (very heavily Wes Anderson style), but were also cute, charming, inventive, and smart, a rare combination in films for kids today.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Okay, from the trailers, this movie does look good (appearing to capture the sprit of Roald Dahl much more than the 1971 Mel Stuart movie with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka). I most likely will see it in theaters. There is some homage to the earlier movie, specifically the songs --- which Dahl did not like (he didn't like the movie as a whole or the casting of Gene Wilder).

Timothée Chalamet, of course, is super cute as well as being a very good actor. It's nice seeing him getting the opportunity to emote (I've been struggling to get through DUNE where he appears to have been directed to take minimalism to the extreme). His "Huhs" in the trailer made me smile.

Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa is a nice touch.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 12:00 pm A neighbor! Neat. Wonder what he thinks of this.
It's just a fond childhood memory I imagine. I do think when it was screened on 35mm nearby at Rome's Capitol Theater a few years ago, he quietly attended.
I saw the movie in the theater and thought it as hokey as Gilligan's Island, and I was the right age for it.
I liked it much more as I got older but still find it pretty hokey.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 12:00 pm ... I'm all for it - although I won't go to a theater where I'd have to mingle with ... people. :lol:

(...sorry diane, but your comment here reminded me so much of this that I just couldn't resist) ;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 12:00 pm I'm all for it - although I won't go to a theater where I'd have to mingle with ... people. :lol:
Yes, in my opinion, people who don't need people are the luckiest people in the world . . .
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:53 pm(...sorry diane, but your comment here reminded me so much of this that I just couldn't resist) ;)
Oh, I think you summed it up pretty well. :) We're pretty much hermits here, just going out for groceries and for building supplies at HD/Lowes. :lol:
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

"A World Of Your Own" is my favorite of the new songs that Neil Hannon wrote for Wonka.