A Glimpse of Golden Age Hollywood

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
GaryCooper

Re: A Glimpse of Classic Hollywood

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: February 27th, 2024, 8:10 pm
NoShear wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Your knowledge of film far exceeds mine, Dargo, but are you sure those aren't the Chatsworth hills scenery? (Both celebrities shared Encino dwellings.)
Oh, and one more note of possible interest here NS...

For many years one of my fellow airline workers, a guy named Alan "Rudy" Ruddach, grew up in the ritzy area of Toluca Lake. Rudy's father had a dance studio for many years and taught quite a few Hollywood actors and actresses the art of kicking up their heels.

Rudy was a scratch golfer, having played since he was a kid.

(...and now for the reason I've brought this up here...he told me that among the celebs he had caddied for when he was a kid, were Clark Gable, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby)
Of Roy Rogers and Toluca Lake, do you remember this restaurant chain, Dargo:

Of your recent "AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED" response - one of your best of countless classics - and Van Nuys Boulevard...
If you should encounter an odd little man with a feather duster, don't be alarmed as he granted me a last wish, Dargo:

Paul Thomas Anderson is said to have tapped Rick McCloskey's VAN NUYS BLVD 1972 shots for LICORICE PIZZA (2021). Its clever cinematography notwithstanding, I wouldn't trade the above photo for the entire Anderson movie.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

The Van Nuys building is still there - it's a Starbucks now.

This site has photos of still standing classic Roy Rogers buildings...

https://www.roadarch.com/eateries/roy.html
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

What I remember most about the Roy Rogers franchises back then was how quickly they all spang up and then how quickly many of them would close down. At least in SoCal, anyway.

(...and which also reminds me of that chain of Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips joints which often seemed to share a similar fate at about the same time)
Last edited by Dargo on March 1st, 2024, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:03 pm What I remember most about the Roy Rogers franchises back then was how quickly they all spang up and then how quickly many of them would close down. At least in SoCal, anyway.

(...and which also reminds me of that chain of Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips joints which often seemed to share a similar fate)
The only one I've been in was in Norman, OK. It opened in the late 60s or early 70s and was still there when I was in college in the early to mid 80s. It's now a pizza place.

A lot of them were converted to Hardees/Carls Jr.,when Hardee's bought the chain, but that conversion was not popular. There are still a few Roy Rogers left, most (if not all) east of the Mississippi.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And now for a number of behind-the-scene "glimpses" of a movie and set to its memorable Elmer Bernstein composed score...

NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:37 pm And now for a number of behind-the-scene "glimpses" of a movie and set to its memorable Elmer Bernstein composed score...

From the sandy yield of "The Thomas Crown Affair" to the Triumph of THE GREAT ESCAPE, Dargo, a natural progression set to Dominic Frontiere's smooth score - SPOILER ALERT:

Masha

Post by Masha »

Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart during a break from shooting “Sabrina”. Long Island, New York (1954)

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 12:41 pm Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart during a break from shooting “Sabrina”. Long Island, New York (1954)

Believe this was an "outtake" from Life's nine page spread on Hepburn in their December 7, 1953 edition.

Most editions of Life can be found in Google Books. They are a treasure trove of photos of days gone by.

This issue is:

https://books.google.com/books?id=O0kEA ... &q&f=false

Her article starts on page 127.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

NoShear wrote: March 1st, 2024, 12:17 pm
Dargo wrote: February 27th, 2024, 8:10 pm
NoShear wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Your knowledge of film far exceeds mine, Dargo, but are you sure those aren't the Chatsworth hills scenery? (Both celebrities shared Encino dwellings.)
Oh, and one more note of possible interest here NS...

For many years one of my fellow airline workers, a guy named Alan "Rudy" Ruddach, grew up in the ritzy area of Toluca Lake. Rudy's father had a dance studio for many years and taught quite a few Hollywood actors and actresses the art of kicking up their heels.

Rudy was a scratch golfer, having played since he was a kid.

(...and now for the reason I've brought this up here...he told me that among the celebs he had caddied for when he was a kid, were Clark Gable, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby)
Of Roy Rogers and Toluca Lake, do you remember this restaurant chain, Dargo:

Of your recent "AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED" response - one of your best of countless classics - and Van Nuys Boulevard...
If you should encounter an odd little man with a feather duster, don't be alarmed as he granted me a last wish, Dargo:

Paul Thomas Anderson is said to have tapped Rick McCloskey's VAN NUYS BLVD 1972 shots for LICORICE PIZZA (2021). Its clever cinematography notwithstanding, I wouldn't trade the above photo for the entire Anderson movie.
One could purchase over 2,800 roast beef sandwiches for that car!
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Audrey Hepburn had nice legs.

GC
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith