WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Jeeves and Wooster is really a lot of fun. It does lose a little steam when they get to NY with some notable errors in the establishing shots but over all it is really good.

Has anyone seen any of the A Bit of Fry and Laurie? It is a sketch comedy show they did before J&W. It's a bit off the wall and may be better viewed with one or two episodes at a time rather than a whole disc but some of it is very British and may not come as well as intended. Some of it is very funny.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

A few episodes of the series ran on NYC public TV a few years ago. I found it enjoyable, but I think it may have been a little to Oxbridge intellectual for general audiences who are not die-hard Anglophiles.

One of my favorite bits had Stephen Fry, who is gay, asking why a word like "homosexual" should be treated with such trepidation by some. He reasoned that it's only an adjective, and therefore should be treated a part of common speech. Laurie chimed in - yes, he said, you could use it in any sentence at all, such as "My, my the garden is looking very homosexual today."

And why not?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your feedback on "Jeeves & Wooster" friends... I was glad to be introduced to this series....BTW has anyone seen the 1936 or 1937 film "Thak You Jeeves" (1936) with Arthur Treacher and David Niven?

On the weekend I watched a grand Bette Davis melodrama: "Deception" (1946) which has a fantastic Erich Wolfgang Korngold score and superb portrayal by Claude Rains of an egotistical composer.

I also watched the Blu-Ray DVD edition of "Iron Man" (2008) at my sister's apartment. The image & sound are quite impressive and it's an entertaining flick in a large measure due to Robert Downey Jr's charisma.
melwalton

Wodehouse

Post by melwalton »

Judy .... Chris

If you get the chance read Short stories, "STRY CHNINE I THE SOUP' AND / OR THE LEVEL BUSINESS HEAD' AND NOVEL LE NGTH ' LAUGHING GAS . HILARIOUS ....mel
melwalton

recent

Post by melwalton »

We saw Raymand Chandler's , THE BIG SLEEP a good one with Bogart pulling on his right earlobe all through the movie ... MEL
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

One of my best gifts was a copy of Mamma Mia - I can't term this as a musical movie as much as I would classify it as an operetta. since so much of it is sung. I can't imagine anyone not feeling lighter after seeing this one. Meryl is on her way to another oscar I think. The way that woman makes you believe she is every part she plays is magcal, from the Polish Sophie's Choice, to Prada's Miranda Priestly, to Mamma Mia, she is just phenomenal, I can't believe she's only won two oscars. After the story is over and the three gals do those two songs is well worth the price of a ticket or the DVD. The energy they expend is electric, and reminds me of Goldie, Diane, and Bette in First Wives Club.

I easily recommend Mamma Mia to anyone who want to see a happy movie :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I took my daughter to see "Momma Mia" on her sixteenth birthday this summer, and I gave her the soundtrack this Christmas. She played it Christmas afternoon.

I was disappointed they didn't have "Waterloo" on the soundtrack.

but "Momma Mia" is a very enjoyable film.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I watched the very atmospheric Emilio Fernández film "La Perla" (The Pearl) (1947), which is based upon a John Steinbeck story. It's simply the best Classic Mexican film I have ever seen and it has Pedro Armendáriz best-ever performance (his second best performance would be in "The Fugitive" (1947)). He and María Elena Marqués play poor natives who find a huge pearl, attracting all kinds of greedy characters. In fact the film could be have been called perfectly "Greed". The B&W cinematography is beautiful and the imagery very effective. 10/10.

Yesterday was a lucky day, because I watched truly excellent films. I closed the day with Frank Borzage's "The Mortal Storm", a long-awaited film, which I had longed to see for many years. Words cannot describe how this film touched me for its sincerity, perfect script, timing, excellent perfromances. Margaret Sullavan is simply the most Luminous performer ever. After seeing her in "Three Comrades" (1938), "Little Man What Now?" (1934) and "The Shop Around the Corner" (1940), I can't believe there is not a DVD Collection devoted to her and I can't believe either that the Lubitsch film is one of the few pictures of hers available on DVD. She was the perfect actress for a perfect director as Borzage. And Jimmy Stewart had THE perfect chemistry with her. This film should be seen by anybody who wants to witness the effects of fanatism, hatred and totalitarism on people. I cannot think of any actor who wasn't perfect in this film. From Maria Ouspenskaya, Frank Morgan and Irene Rich to Robert Young, Dan Dailey, Ward Bond, Bonita Granville and Robert Stack. Touching but not sentimental. Full of truth but not manipulative. 10/10. And I could give it 11. One the best Borzages I have seen.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Glad to have another fan of Sullavan and also The Mortal Storm.

When you realize this film was made in 1939, it's amazing how accurate it was to its time. I don't deny that many war films are propaganda, but I feel that in this movie, Borzage has simply tried to take facts as he understood them and present them within a storyline.Three Comrades (1938) dropped hints, but The Mortal Storm flings the unvarnished truth into our laps and it is we who walk around the empty house, recalling all the memories it holds. While talk of concentration camps, censorship, and forced submission were news, many of these topics (particularly mistreatment of Jews) were buried on back pages of newspapers, if even printed. The snowfall, silhouette of the professors statuette, quote, and cloud end title reminds us that although the world might seem dark from our perspective, goodness and light have not been extinguished. The clouds appearance at the beginning and end of the film suggests that while light and truth may be obscured by circumstances, the sun is always shining on the other side.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Glad to have another fan of Sullavan and also The Mortal Storm.

When you realize this film was made in 1939, it's amazing how accurate it was to its time. I don't deny that many war films are propaganda, but I feel that in this movie, Borzage has simply tried to take facts as he understood them and present them within a storyline.Three Comrades (1938) dropped hints, but The Mortal Storm flings the unvarnished truth into our laps and it is we who walk around the empty house, recalling all the memories it holds. While talk of concentration camps, censorship, and forced submission were news, many of these topics (particularly mistreatment of Jews) were buried on back pages of newspapers, if even printed. The snowfall, silhouette of the professors statuette, quote, and cloud end title reminds us that although the world might seem dark from our perspective, goodness and light have not been extinguished. The clouds appearance at the beginning and end of the film suggests that while light and truth may be obscured by circumstances, the sun is always shining on the other side.

Beautifully expressed Mr. Arkadin. I concur with you. I was also thinking while watching it that it was incredible that this film actually got to be released in 1940. It's so full of truth and honesty. I think that I recall reading that Hitler loathed this picture above all the others.

Now I'm going to watch Miss Sullavan in "The Shopworn Angel" (1938), which I'm sure isn't in the same category as her Borzage or Lubitsch masterpieces, but I bet it's good enough!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well, I watched "The Shopworn Angel" (1938) and it's a good film, lifted by Sullavan's and Jimmy Stewart's immense talents. He's a naive Texas soldier who's going to France during WWI and she's a wordly, cynical actress who ultimately feels sorry for him (she's in love with manager Walter Pidgeon). Hattie McDaniel is priceless as Sullavan's maid. I'd like to see Gary Cooper's 1929 version to compare, but I think it's lost. Isn't it?

Then I re-watched the daffy, screwball comedy "It's a Wonderful World" (1939), with Jimmy Stewart playing a totally different character: a cynical, tough detective on the run, who even gets to hit Poetress Colbert right on her face! She goes ga-ga for him and becomes (in his mind) an absolute nuisance. Nat Pendleton and Guy Kibbee add for laughs. A little-known comedy which deserves a DVD release.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Doing some cross-stitching, I decided to watch something that would not need strong concentration so I turned on The Golden Compass on one of the HBO channels. This is the type of movie I was talking about a few weeks ago when I said people think because a movie is animated it is for kids, and that's what I thought because I heard or read somewhere that it was a wonderful kids movie - How wrong I was. I almost bought this thing for my grand daughter as a stocking stuffer, but changed my mind thank goodness. This thing has kids being kidnapped, people talking about 'doing away with the kids', animals attacking people, bears fighting and baring their fangs as well as biting the opponent on the neck. Little children 5 - 8 would probably be scared by it, and older kids 10-13 would laugh because they are into people fights on their Game Boys. I don't think it did very well at the box office and if the word got out about it, I can see why.

Like so many movies of today, when a movie is geared at a certain age group, they should do a little more investigation. Little 5 and 6 year olds who love the Care Bears would not like to see the cute little squirrel turn into a clawed ocelot to square off with a leopard, as happens very early in the film.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

Today I re-watched with my wife Bette Davis' "All This and Heaven Too" (1940) and she loved it. She said it's one of the few films of hers she's seen her playing a basically good-natured, tranquil, self-effacing woman. Great picture, great music, beautiful sets, perfect period-setting and powerful performances by the two leads and wonderful and attractive Barbara O'Neil. I think I have only seen Ms. O'Neil in three films in all my life: in "GWTW", this one and "Stella Dallas". She's a very interesting actress.

I kept waiting for a scene between Mlle. Deluzy-Desportes and her grandfather the Baron. I could have swore that the first time I saw this film there was such scene. But then, my mind sometimes plays tricks on me. Did anyone read the book? I'm intrigued about the scret of Mlle. D's birth she talked about to the Duc de Praslin and that her grandfather really never cared for her or regretted her birth.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I just remembered I saw Ms. O'Neil in "Tower of London" (1939) and "I Remember Mama" (1948) too. Anyway, she made few films.
Birdy

The Golden Compass: Anne

Post by Birdy »

Anne, If you think that one was bad, you'd better hope they don't come out with movies for the sequel books. It references "going against the church" and "adults as evil" themes and was perceived as "anti-christian propaganda". There was quite a hoo-ha when the movie came out because the author is openly atheistic and his books seem to reflect that (unlike J.K. Rowling who defends her books as just fairy tales). You can look it up on Wickipedia and it will point you to a whole bunch of articles about the criticisms and controversies.

I didn't mean to get off on a whole controversial jag here (remember, I'm the gal who prefers 30's comedies set on ocean liners and nice neat endings) but thought you'd find the info interesting since you saw the movie and were a little surprised by it. Let's hope your next foray into unfamiliar movie-land is more fun!
B