I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:39 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:49 am CNN's How It Really Happened: Oscar Pistorious

"My lady, it was an accident"

Sure.
Right.
Four "accidental" gunshots . . .
Apparently that's just how you ask someone if the loo is occupied in South Africa. It's a (slightly) different culture than here in the US (barring Texas.)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:00 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:49 am CNN's How It Really Happened: Oscar Pistorious

Sure.
Right.
It could be even more outrageous. It could have been like that notorious 1980 murder case involving the Lizzie Borden of the 20th century who gave another woman 40 whacks with an axe.... and was then acquitted on self-defense. The case was so shocking that they've filmed it three times: a fictionalized version with Barbara Hershey that was in a TV movie in 1990 (a graphic one at that; it holds an R rating despite being first aired on CBS), and two recent online miniseries, one on hulu, the other on HBO Max.
That axe-murderer must be what the CANDY limited series on Hulu was based on.
Apparently, the real Candy is now in the mental health profession.

Can you imagine finding out that "Candy" was your therapist?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 4:36 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:00 pm

Right.
It could be even more outrageous. It could have been like that notorious 1980 murder case involving the Lizzie Borden of the 20th century who gave another woman 40 whacks with an axe.... and was then acquitted on self-defense. The case was so shocking that they've filmed it three times: a fictionalized version with Barbara Hershey that was in a TV movie in 1990 (a graphic one at that; it holds an R rating despite being first aired on CBS), and two recent online miniseries, one on hulu, the other on HBO Max.
That axe-murderer must be what the CANDY limited series on Hulu was based on.
Apparently, the real Candy is now in the mental health profession.

Can you imagine finding out that "Candy" was your therapist?
Yes, that's the case. Ironically, the axe death occurred the day that Kubrick's The Shining, a film that famously has an axe murder near the end, was opening in the Texas area where this murder took place....

If I found that out, I think I would either stop going immediately, or I would pack up my belongings and move quickly.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:37 pm

Sure.
Right.
Apparently that's just how you ask someone if the loo is occupied in South Africa. It's a (slightly) different culture than here in the US (barring Texas.)
Wasn't there some woman in Texas (I think she was an off-duty police officer) who shot and killed a man in his own apartment a few years ago?
I think her defense was that she went into his apartment by mistake; she thought it was her own apartment and he was an intruder.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 14th, 2024, 4:47 pm
Lorna wrote: May 14th, 2024, 3:37 pm

Right.
Wasn't there some woman in Texas (I think she was an off-duty police officer) who shot and killed a man in his own apartment a few years ago?
I think her defense was that she went into his apartment by mistake; she thought it was her own apartment and he was an intruder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Botham_Jean
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

apologies for the watermarks (especially on the last one!!!!!) but I just HAD to share these images of ANGELA LANSBURY filming DEATH ON THE NILE:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

also,

I have to GRIPE that searching for IMAGES or DELETED SCENES for DEATH ON THE NILE 1978 on most SEARCH ENGINES clogs my results with images from the unfortunate (RECENT) remake which I would rather not discuss because, believe it or not, but I'm trying to be less of a b!tch, at least for the moment.

HOWEVER

I did find this WONDERFUL STILL which (for me) suggests they filmed a scene between MRS OTTERBOURNE and ROSALIE similar to the one for MRS VAN SCHUYLER and BOWERS (and THE LAWYER) where they read the news about the couple honeymooning in EGYPT and decide to try an ambuSh

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM SORRY THEY CUT IT

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I WILL ALSO THROW OUT THAT I LOVE THE CORAL COLORED GOWN WORN BY OLIVIA HUSSEY SO DAMN MUCH, IT IS SERIOUSLY THE ESSENCE OF TIMELESS CHIC, CONGRATULATIONS TO ANYONE FOR LOOKING THIS GOOD AT ANY TIME DURING THE 1970S.

YOU COULD PUT ON EITHER ONE OF THESE GOWNS TODAY AND PROVIDED THE FIT WAS RIGHT, YOU COULD OWN THE MOMENT.

PS- THE CLUTCH TOO!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! Say what you will about THE MOTHERING SKILLS OF SALOME OTTERBOURNE, she kept that girl DRESSED TO KILL IN SOME ABSOLUTE HIGH END ROSE-tinted FANTASY.

Also, the name ROSALIE is surprisingly lovely and tasteful, I wonder if her father talked SALOME out of naming her God only knows what...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Also, the name ROSALIE is surprisingly lovely and tasteful, I wonder if MR OTTERBOURNE talked SALOME out of naming her God only knows what...

Eros? Phylandrea? Trellis? Vanity? Clytemenstra? Amaryllis? Apple? would love to have seen her list.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I'll shut up about DEATH ON THE NILE after this (and SPOILERS hereafter)

But if I could change ONE THING about the film, it would be to rewrite the scene where OLIVIA HUSSEY finds out that her MOTHER has been shot- as it is it's a tight two shot with her and JON FINCH and she underplays it criminally- almost to a degree where you feel like they didn't trust her to pull off a GENUINE reaction. I know the film is something of a ROMANTIC FANTASY, but it does not completely untether itself from human emotions- witness PETER USTINOV'S excellent reaction at the end when MIA FARROW asks if his character is bothered by his discovery that she is in fact a heartless murderer- his voice breaks and his eyes betray great sadness.

i wish they had worked PETER USTINOV into the scene TO BE SYMPATHETIC, because it bothers me how afterwards during the "all is revealed" scene ROSALIE is sitting there calmly as he includes her on the suspect list which, y'know, I get that POIROT is a little NEURODIVERGENT, but c'mon dude, this lady's mom had her brains blown out like 20 minutes ago- don't be a dick right now.

Had ROSALIE reacted with a mixture of genuine grief, shock and (yes) relief, then tearfully insisted on attending the denoument, then it would be a better film.

it's a misfired chance right at the end and i think it hurts the momentum at a crucial moment.

also, if during the disembarking scene at the end, POIROT had gotten the JON FINCH CHARACTER to reveal he was really AN ENGLISH BARON it would've been one more twist, and a pleasant one.

i really do wonder WHY they left that out???
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 7:54 am apologies for the watermarks (especially on the last one!!!!!) but I just HAD to share these images of ANGELA LANSBURY filming DEATH ON THE NILE:

LOL. Thanks for those. How did she not get an Oscar nomination for that role? :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 7:58 am also,

I have to GRIPE that searching for IMAGES or DELETED SCENES for DEATH ON THE NILE 1978 on most SEARCH ENGINES clogs my results with images from the unfortunate (RECENT) remake which I would rather not discuss because, believe it or not, but I'm trying to be less of a b!tch, at least for the moment.

HOWEVER

I did find this WONDERFUL STILL which (for me) suggests they filmed a scene between MRS OTTERBOURNE and ROSALIE similar to the one for MRS VAN SCHUYLER and BOWERS (and THE LAWYER) where they read the news about the couple honeymooning in EGYPT and decide to try an ambuSh

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I AM SORRY THEY CUT IT

YES, too bad!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 8:12 am Also, the name ROSALIE is surprisingly lovely and tasteful, I wonder if MR OTTERBOURNE talked SALOME out of naming her God only knows what...

Eros? Phylandrea? Trellis? Vanity? Clytemenstra? Amaryllis? Apple? would love to have seen her list.
LOL! Apparently sanity prevailed. I have a cousin named Rosalie. She's older than me. It's the kind of name that's not so common anymore. (except maybe in England).
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: May 15th, 2024, 9:02 am
Lorna wrote: May 15th, 2024, 8:12 am Also, the name ROSALIE is surprisingly lovely and tasteful, I wonder if MR OTTERBOURNE talked SALOME out of naming her God only knows what...

LOL! Apparently sanity prevailed. I have a cousin named Rosalie. She's older than me. It's the kind of name that's not so common anymore. (except maybe in England).
it should be though! it's a lovely name.

as for LANSBURY not getting an Oscar nomination- she and MAGGIE SMITH and USTINOV were up for BAFTAS and I think LANSBURY won the NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW for BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS for DEATH ON THE NILE- MAGGIE SMITH of course won THE OSCAR that year, but for CALIFORNIA SUITE- and she deserved it even though I don't like anything AT ALL about ANYTHING ELSE in that movie.

TO BE FAIR, LANSBURY's is a BROAD PERFORMANCE in a very STAGEY and CLASSIC FILM ACTING STYLE- two things that were not big with OSCAR VOTERS in the 1970s, who tended to go for more gruff realism and methody stuff. (SMITH certainly doesn't give a restrained performance in CALIFORNIA SUITE, but it's still rooted in reality to a degree)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

also, I hate to speculate, but FANTASTIC AS SHE IS, I get the sense the role came very naturally to LANSBURY and she had A BLAST doing it- the 1970s were kind of the beginning of the whole "you need to suffer and be miserable and lose or gain 60 pounds in order to get a nomination" trend