I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

I'VE HAD A STRESSFUL FEW DAYS AND I'M GOING THRU SOME s***, SO FORGIVE ME, IN ORDER TO PROCESS I AM POSTING A MURDER SHE REVIEW.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, FEEL FREE TO SKIP.

OK, so one good thing happened, which is I now have access to PEACOCK (la dee dah) which means I now have access to ALL 12 SEASONS OF A LITTLE SHOW CALLED MURDER SHE MFING WROTE.

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I HAVE MISSED THE LATER SEASONS. THEY STILL MAKE YOU WATCH COMMERCIALS THO.

OF COURSE, the first episode I checked out was

i love this episode.

it's not the DEE WALLACE STONE episode where HER SISTER IS A WITCH but the one where SETH HAZLETT is putting on a PLAY in the church about ANOTHER CABOT COVE WITCH and all of a sudden DOLLAR GENERAL BARBARA HERSHEY shows up and someone gets pushed out of the steeple of a fake church on THE UNIVERSAL LOT.

THEY HAD THE COPPER-PLATED GALL TO INCLUDE A PLOT POINT WHERE A LONG DARK ARTIFICIAL HAIR IS FOUND AT THE CRIME SCENE, which for some reason, JESSICA thinks means the woman in the above photo is INNOCENT because (brace yourself) "why would someone wear a long dark wig to cover up long dark, natural hair."

I don't know, JESSICA, maybe you should ask CHER, because DOLLAR GENERAL BARBARA HERSHEY is wearing the dryest, crustiest, most POLYSTERY WIGGITY WIGGITY WIG I have ever seen.

I HAVE SEEN THIS EPISODE JESUS ALONE KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES AND EVERY TIME JESSICA SAYS THAT I LITERALLY HAVE TO PAUSE THE TV AND DO SOME DEEP BREATHING.

JULIE (A?) ADAMS is only in the first scene, but she's as always a delight. I'm glad we had RUE MACLANAHAN, but if we hadn't, she would have made an EPIC BLANCHE DEVERAUX.

LANSBURY and RON MASAK
have A LOT more chemistry than she and TOM BOSELEY did and, honestly, MASAK has a lot of presence and he is able to sell a lot of bad lines pretty well.

This is also a DEPUTY ANDY episode, he replaced DEPUTY FLOYD, who I liked and was a better actor, but DEPUTY ANDY was HOT, so I'll allow it (I kindasorta wonder if maybe ANGIE hired herself a little treat as a signing bonus for SEASON 8)

ROBERT VAUGHN
is in this episode, this was back when you could just dial 1-800-RENT-A-VAUGHN to get him to be in your movie or tv show.

EPISODE MVP is MARION SELDES, a stage actress a lot of you are aware of- I'm sorry she never did another MsW episode, she's really terrific in this one, she seems at all times to be stifling a MASSIVE SPEW OF CHERRY PIT-LADEN VOMIT.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That's one of my favorite later episodes! I'm jealous but enjoy binging!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:16 am I'VE HAD A STRESSFUL FEW DAYS AND I'M GOING THRU SOME s***, SO FORGIVE ME, IN ORDER TO PROCESS I AM POSTING A MURDER SHE REVIEW.

OK, so one good thing happened, which is I now have access to PEACOCK (la dee dah) which means I now have access to ALL 12 SEASONS OF A LITTLE SHOW CALLED MURDER SHE MFING WROTE.

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I HAVE MISSED THE LATER SEASONS. THEY STILL MAKE YOU WATCH COMMERCIALS THO.

i love this episode.

it's not the DEE WALLACE STONE episode where HER SISTER IS A WITCH but the one where SETH HAZLETT is putting on a PLAY in the church about ANOTHER CABOT COVE WITCH and all of a sudden DOLLAR GENERAL BARBARA HERSHEY shows up and someone gets pushed out of the steeple of a fake church on THE UNIVERSAL LOT.

THEY HAD THE COPPER-PLATED GALL TO INCLUDE A PLOT POINT WHERE A LONG DARK ARTIFICIAL HAIR IS FOUND AT THE CRIME SCENE, which for some reason, JESSICA thinks means the woman in the above photo is INNOCENT because (brace yourself) "why would someone wear a long dark wig to cover up long dark, natural hair."

I don't know, JESSICA, maybe you should ask CHER, because DOLLAR GENERAL BARBARA HERSHEY is wearing the dryest, crustiest, most POLYSTERY WIGGITY WIGGITY WIG I have ever seen.

I HAVE SEEN THIS EPISODE JESUS ALONE KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES AND EVERY TIME JESSICA SAYS THAT I LITERALLY HAVE TO PAUSE THE TV AND DO SOME DEEP BREATHING.

JULIE (A?) ADAMS is only in the first scene, but she's as always a delight. I'm glad we had RUE MACLANAHAN, but if we hadn't, she would have made an EPIC BLANCHE DEVERAUX.

LANSBURY and RON MASAK
have A LOT more chemistry than she and TOM BOSELEY did and, honestly, MASAK has a lot of presence and he is able to sell a lot of bad lines pretty well.

This is also a DEPUTY ANDY episode, he replaced DEPUTY FLOYD, who I liked and was a better actor, but DEPUTY ANDY was HOT, so I'll allow it (I kindasorta wonder if maybe ANGIE hired herself a little treat as a signing bonus for SEASON 8)

ROBERT VAUGHN
is in this episode, this was back when you could just dial 1-800-RENT-A-VAUGHN to get him to be in your movie or tv show.

EPISODE MVP is MARION SELDES, a stage actress a lot of you are aware of- I'm sorry she never did another MsW episode, she's really terrific in this one, she seems at all times to be stifling a MASSIVE SPEW OF CHERRY PIT-LADEN VOMIT.
Just for the record, "Dollar General Barbara Hershey's " real name is Mary Crosby, daughter of Bing Crosby and his second wife. She also played the guilty party in Season 7's "Tainted Lady" and was famous for playing the woman who shot JR Ewing on Dallas, who promptly got drunk, fell into a swimming pool, and drowned at the end of the 1980-1981 season.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

AN AMENDMENT: it's the BRISTLY WIG AND MAKE-UP that makes me say DOLLAR GENERAL BARBARA HERSHEY, she's really a perfectly lovely woman and a good actress. i do apologize if it came across as harsh.

So is she TASHA YAR's sister?

(I know someone here will get that)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:45 am That's one of my favorite later episodes! I'm jealous but enjoy binging!

i don't know that i would recommend PEACOCK tho.
..their movie selection isn't too bad, but YOU STILL HAVE TO WATCH ADS.

Just for the heck of it, I checked out DAYS OF OUR LIVES- it is a weird little shell of its former self in its new little digital home- but it was nice to see MAGGIE and JULIE are still with us.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

You can pay Peacock for ad free service. Just about everyone has an ad based version of what they do.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

OLIVER TWIST (1948) on TCM Wednesday afternoon. I don't think they show it much. DAVID LEAN's second film adaptation of DICKENS. As great as GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1946) is, OLIVER TWIST can only be overlooked. Probably the darkest DICKENS adaptation to reach the screen, it is very powerful.

Yep, it's ANTHONY NEWLEY both charming and despicable.

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 24th, 2024, 12:36 pm
Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:45 am That's one of my favorite later episodes! I'm jealous but enjoy binging!

i don't know that i would recommend PEACOCK tho.
..their movie selection isn't too bad, but YOU STILL HAVE TO WATCH ADS.

Just for the heck of it, I checked out DAYS OF OUR LIVES- it is a weird little shell of its former self in its new little digital home- but it was nice to see MAGGIE and JULIE are still with us.
I haven't logged into Peacock in awhile. (I only ever had the free version.)
I logged in just now (I had to re-set my password) and I see that the original SAVED BY THE BELL is no longer available unless you purchase a "plan."
Some of the plans you pay for still have ads during the programming.
They do have the first season the SAVED BY THE BELL revival series (where Slater is a teacher). I only watched one episode of that.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It was ironic and sad that Radar from M*A*S*H went home on MeTV on his birthday. Happy Birthday Gary Burghoff.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

kingrat wrote: May 21st, 2024, 9:32 pm Speaking of the 1970s: consider the difference between Blow-Up (1966) and The Conversation (1974), which borrows liberally from the plot of Blow-Up, only with sound instead of photography. When Antonioni seems like the fun guy in the room, you know something is seriously out of whack. Swinging London in the Carnaby Street era vs. American skyscrapers in a brown/green world. David Hemmings in tight white pants vs. Gene Hackman looking like Gene Hackman. The women in The Conversation are either unattractive or treacherous or both; Hackman only wishes, like much of the audience for Blow-Up, that he could sign up for that orgy with the two probably underage girls.

Of course the dolly birds and the sex and the fashion photography all represent capitalist decadence, and we hate that, don't we? But how grim and grimy and grungy is the world of The Conversation, the cinematic equivalent of acid reflux. Can we really blame all of that on Richard Nixon? If this "felt right" to the audience, and the film was a big hit, smooched over by critics, is it a case of "been using downers so long they feel like uppers to me?"
kingrat, the like was for your review, not any enthusiasm for Antonioni's menage a trois - meh.

I found BLOW-UP staid and drab despite its Swinging London backdrop with most of the Carnaby color relegated to the extras seen within the RICKY-TICK mockup:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I am presently having to post on my phone, which I do not like doing, but the Internet is out at my office. But I did want to let you guys know that I checked out THE FALCON TAKES OVER, which I was unaware it’s a pretty downright faithful retelling of FAREWELL MY LOVELY (credited and everything)- honestly the screenwriter did a pretty good job, shoehorning the falcon and his wisecracking assistant, and a girl reporter into the story.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:16 am I'VE HAD A STRESSFUL FEW DAYS AND I'M GOING THRU SOME s***, SO FORGIVE ME, IN ORDER TO PROCESS I AM POSTING A MURDER SHE REVIEW.

i love this episode.

I don't know, JESSICA, maybe you should ask CHER

I missed this great comment the first time I read this post.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

(According to comedian KATHY GRIFFIN, she visited CHER at home in Malibu and to her surprise, CHER wasn’t wearing a wig, and even more surprisingly: CHER’s REAL HAIR is in fact “CHER HAIR”- long thick and black.)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 26th, 2024, 5:51 pm (According to comedian KATHY GRIFFIN, she visited CHER at home in Malibu and to her surprise, CHER wasn’t wearing a wig, and even more surprisingly: CHER’s REAL HAIR is in fact “CHER HAIR”- long thick and black.)
Yes, Cher has said that she has worn wigs for decades to protect her real hair from being damaged.