The old days of TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The old days of TCM

Post by mrsl »

At one time, my TV was tuned to TCM 24/7. That was until last September, 2006. It's funny how I know almost to the day when I started channel surfing. It was the first time I saw the Sept. promo. I really hated that promo. I know it prompted months worth of discussion, so I don't think I was alone in my dislike of it. The music, the mood, the tattooed lady, all of it added up to another sign of the times for me. I found my Western channel and have discovered a small bit of the serenity I used to have from TCM, but it, shows newer movies with their violence and 'honesty'. I prefer my movies to be 'what dreams are made of'.

The past month or so, I've rarely watched TCM at all because of various reasons, the main one being re-runs, of re-runs, of re-runs. It seems like a handful of movies have been shown lately over and over again. Although God knows I will watch certain movies so much that I've actually worn out tapes, that is still just 'certain' movies, not ALL old movies.

I haven't taped anything in months because I already have it on tape. e.g. I can't believe that The Producers is yet again coming up on The Essentials. Isn't it time to give that movie a rest?

My problem with all of this is, I have nothing to contribute to these or any other threads. I've said it all, and I believe many of you feel the same way. We need some new movies to enjoy. With my VCR broken, I can't tape in the wee morning hours and it seems again, TCM is showing the rare goodies at that time. I've noticed many of you have resorted to foreign language films, but that is not my thing. I actually miss my days of watching TCM from 7 a.m. to 5 a.m. the following day. Believe it or not I did that, but its been a long time since the last time.

Unfortunately for me, when I don't have my movies, I get political, and thus in trouble, so I really hope TCM starts doing their reruns of goodies at more daytime timeframes. This is just me - daydreaming out loud!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Anne,
If I may make a suggestion, instead of focusing on TCM's programming once more, could you possibly share with us a "MrsL take" on the disc of Hatari/El Dorado that you recently mentioned purchasing in the "Classic Film on dvd" thread? Or possibly discuss more of the Gene Autry movies that were shown on the Encore Western Channel last weekend?

Did you like the special that they ran about Autry? I think it might've been kind of brief at 30 minutes, (and a bit glossy).

Did you think that Elsa Martinelli might've been a bit young for the Duke in Hatari?

Did you see the movie Shooting High with Gene and Jane Withers in a movie together? (That's the only one I saw in its entirety and it was fun.)

Did it seem as though progress vs. the past was a constant theme in Autry's movies?

How did you like James Caan in El Dorado (1966)?

I truly want to know what you have to say about movies, not just the fact that some month's programming is less appealing than others. I think that others might like to know your thoughts on movies as well. I'm not trying to suppress any expression of opinion, but I think you have alot to share about your enjoyment and observations of movies.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I think you are of an age (like me) where you probably saw movies a long time ago but haven't seen again. Do you have some you remember fondly but haven't seen in 20 years that you would like to see again?

I think "The Essentials" are rerun just like TV shows used to be in the summer.

Hang in there.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
vallo

Post by vallo »

I was SOOO glad when I finally started receiving TCM. It's still the first thing I turn on went I come home from work. Yes I too get tried of the same old same old. But it's still one of (if not the) better channels out there. I wish I would get the Western Channel, But, I don't pay for the any service. My landlord picks up that tab. (joy) TCM should mix it up a little with what is shown and the times they show them. But coming to forums like this I always learn something new about films and certain stars that I may have overlooked in the past. I'm thankful for that. when I first started at the forum I didn't know Kay Francis from Francis the talking Mule. TCM still has a few suprises up their sleeves, like the Teddington films or the silents that you can find any where else.
We all burn out on any film sooner or later. But I wouldn't give up on TCM, where else would we go for a classic movie fix?

Bill (vallo0
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
vallo

Post by vallo »

Last edited by vallo on October 5th, 2007, 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Anne, please don't despair. After all, this site isn't the TCM site, it's a site devoted to discussions of the "Silver Screen," and I'm sure you have much to contribute based on what you already know.

I agree with you that TCM seems to have lost its way a bit, and it sometimes feels as though they are just running in place, rather than progressing. Have you expressed your concerns to TCM? If you haven't, you should. I further agree that a lot of the truly interesting stuff does get relegated to the overnight hours, when it should be front and center in prime time. I wish TCM would be a bit more courageous in its programming. I'm glad I get the Western Channel and Fox, which serve to sort of fill in the gaps with interesting older movies. In addition, I have the City Univ. of NY channel which, on Saturday nights, shows some quite obscure films, some foreign, some domestic. Many of the prints they own are in terrible condition (oh, those faded out subtitles!), but it's still worth seeing some of these fascinating movies. This cable package costs me a bundle, but I feel it's well worth it: if I were to go out to movie theaters to see all the things I'm able to watch on cable, it would cost me much, much more than I am paying now, not to mention the cost of the inconvenience of getting to such places.

I would also suggest that if you see something coming up on TCM that looks interesting and you can't record it yourself, you might post an inquiry here to see who has seen it, either that night, or perhaps in the past, so you (and the rest of us) can learn about it and discuss it.

Please don't leave us - your posts are always a pleasure to read.
Judith
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

vallo wrote:when I first started at the forum I didn't know Kay Francis from Francis the talking Mule.
Well, Kay looked far better in a slinky evening gown.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Jon sez: "Well, Kay looked far better in a slinky evening gown."

Yeah, but that mule was a knockout in those high heel hooves.
benwhowell

Tricks Or Treats

Post by benwhowell »

A TERRIFIC Jacques Tourneur line-up on TCM tonight!
"Curse Of The Demon"
ImageImage
And "The Leopard Man"

TCM may have many "repeats," but, as a lover of ALL movies, I still think it's THE GREATEST! And no commercials! I also love the creative "promos." Movie tributes with "different" POVs are just as fun as reading reviews...IMHO.
Handsome Johnny Eck
klondike

Post by klondike »

jondaris wrote:
vallo wrote:when I first started at the forum I didn't know Kay Francis from Francis the talking Mule.
Well, Kay looked far better in a slinky evening gown.

Ah, but let us be fair & impartial about this, Boss Man: have any of us actually ever seen the mule in any kind of an evening gown?
Furthermore, judging by the way that 4-legged actor spelt "his" name (and the timbre of his assigned voice), wouldn't wearing an evening gown make him a cross-dresser?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

JohnM:

In the first place. A male mule, wearing a dress is definitely a cross dresser! What else? A female Jenny wearing a dress is what you would expect to see.

Secondly, this is what causes such dismay for folks like me. When I quit smoking in June, I figured I would have that $60. to $100. a month to spend on other things, Should be, Right? Well, in July, my rent was raised, my electricity was raised, and I had to start paying a co-pay on my meds, in addition to the monthly payment for the Prez' Part D, 'helpful addition', which adds up to $62.00 per month! So that DVD recorder I thought my ex cigarette money would buy, is again a dream. Now I have to start looking for another Part D provider. Oh, and one last thing, after 40 years of driving with never having had a moving violation, and only one ticket for parking too far from the curb, over 7 years ago, my car insurance rate has also gone up, due to 'cost of living'.

Not really complaining, just another explanation why us older folks are sometimes a little too cranky to your teen agers, and their music and such.

Am I safe in assuming Friday, all day is again going to be devoted to Halloween type movies? like last year? That's cool, just so I know in advance, and can preplan.

If I drank, I would be saying - Here's to a great weekend.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

mrsl wrote: Oh, and one last thing, after 40 years of driving with never having had a moving violation, and only one ticket for parking too far from the curb, over 7 years ago, my car insurance rate has also gone up, due to 'cost of living'.

Anne
Cost of living? Sure claim costs, expenses, repair costs on cars and sometimes compliance with state regulations may make costs go up but in 20 years in the business I've never referred to it as a "cost of living" increase.

Gee, you're any insurance company's dream customer.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Anne,

Well, I know how you feel about the TCM schedule - I think recent months have been pretty grim - I think the last month I really loved was that month where they had all of the detective films - was it February? Can't remember. And IMO, this was the worst SUTS year since I've been watching the channel.

But in any event, I think November and December are really quite good. Take a look at the schedules, and I think you will agree with me - lots of rarely shown stuff - particularly in November with all of the 'series' films...but December as well. December will be Irene Dunne month, for one thing...and you really can't go wrong with Irene Dunne.

I'm 'toughing it out' through this month because I'm not a horror film fan, and as discussed in the other thread, Henry Fonda doesn't rock my world in the slightest.

But for the next two months, TCM will be on alot more than it is now.

BTW, this is exactly why I'm into film collecting. I wasn't even AROUND for AMC in the good 'ole days, but I learned the lesson retroactively through the experiences of others and have no intention of relying on the whim of ANY TV station to provide me quality programming indefinitely.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper