Executive Suite and Rachel and the Stranger

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Executive Suite and Rachel and the Stranger

Post by mrsl »

I'm not sure where this should go, so I'm sticking it here in General for anyone who may want to comment.

These two movies are a couple of my 'really likes' ones. There is something about Executive Suite that draws me every time it's on. Maybe it's my years of working for all the high mucky mucks at Rockwell and Westell.

I was in on most of those board meetings for the votes and decisions on promotions and raises taking my little notes to be transcribed later. I was Nina Foch. But this movie is more than just a scramble for electing a new president. The star of the movie is actually dead, but his character permeates the lives of all the cast members. Between love, loyalty, treachery and greed, his power is viable. Except for Nina Foch, every character in the film is dissected. We learn the backgrounds of each person and why they do what they do. It's a character study that will thrill any viewer who likes to know the ins and outs of every character.

On the other hand, Rachel and the Stranger is strictly for fun and enjoyment. I was glad to see this come on after the seriousness of Executive Suite and Sunset Blvd. It was a relief to laugh and cheer Loretta on in the cellar with her practice. Of course my Bob being in it doesn't hurt the matter any either. For a 'self-proclaimed, ignorant walkin man' he sure teaches Bill Holden a lot. And what better way to bring a little boy around to your side than to have him see you shoot a mountain lion?

For anyone who hasn't seen these two movies, and missed them today, try to catch them at another time. They are both well worth it.

Anne
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Bob

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Anne,
I can't remember if I've ever asked you this, but did you read that Bob Mitchum book that came out in 2002? There was a story in there about Loretta.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

No, SueSue, what's the story?

BTW I like your Avatar!!!

Anne
moira finnie
Administrator

Executive Suite Placement

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Anne,
Wouldn't it be logical for conversation about this film to be placed in the TCM General Discussion area? Not to be rigid, but just wondering if that section wouldn't be appropriate for discussion of movies?

I share your fondness for Rachel and the Stranger, but not because your "dance partner", Mr. Mitchum figures prominently, as a singer and an appealing 'snake in the garden'. It's Loretta Young's indentured servant, William Holden's ambiguity and the really well-done recreation of the frontier setting that I find engaging.

Executive Suite is a movie that has a great cast but that I find leaves me cold. Louis Calhern and Nina Foch are the actors who seem to breathe life into the plodding proceedings, but it's probably just me. I usually find Robert Wise movies to be interesting, too. I like the depictions of the conflicts about modern design and production quality that are touched on briefly in the script, however. There's just something hollow about the boardroom events...imho.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira: No argument with your analysis at all. Holden and Youngs' characters and interchange are definitely the main focus, I just can't help looking over at the 'other guy' whenever he's on camera. :oops:

As for Exe. Suite, as I said, all my years in the bored room is probably what causes my interest in this movie. There aren't a lot of others that touch on the subjet, even briefly, so this is a watcher for me. You have no idea what goes on in the minds of us little unnoticed secretaries when nobody is paying attention! It's easy to spot who has a 'hot date', or who just wants to get home to dinner, or who has a kid's ball game to get to, not to mention who is kissing *** in order to get ahead!

I also bow to your suggestion that it goes under General Discussion. I had suggested to jon that with westerns, comedy, musicals, and film noir, we might have drama included, but that actually entails the majority of films, doesn't it, on second thought?

Anne
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think the Drama heading idea's a good one, too. Hoping that more members will log in their opinions over there too about all the neat suggestions. No biggie on the TCM General Discussion area. I find that Jon and Pk's wonderfully diverse outlines here have given me oodles of places to explore movie and other ideas, which--along with the liberating lack of hostility--makes this site so delightful to explore.

I think that my years as a flunkie, middle manager,and corporate trainer who had to attend every freakin' meeting that came down the pike have left me with a permanently numb backside and alot of resistance to spending any more time in real or fictional boardrooms, Anne. Therefore, my affection for many of the actors in Executive Suite keeps me from "attending" their meeting with my full enthusiasm.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I do love Robert Mitchum's singing. He quite threw off the panel of "What's My Line" when he was Mystery Guest, because they asked if he'd ever made an album, and he had to say "Yes."

Calypso is Like So!