Stars in My Crown, Easter Morning

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Re: Stars in My Crown, Easter Morning

Post by jdb1 »

ChiO wrote:It's not Easter yet (but it is Dean Stockwell's birthday), but it's being shown today on TCM at 4:15pm. If you haven't seen it (or recorded it), now's the time! If you have seen it and recorded it, it's still the time.

And, as Fate would have it, I programmed and am moderating a Lenten Film Series at my Church on Friday nights. On tap for tonight: STARS IN MY CROWN. I'm getting choked up already.
Now that's a very interesting concept, ChiPa. What constitutes a "Lenten Fim Series?"
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Now that's a very interesting concept, ChiPa. What constitutes a "Lenten Fim Series?"
During Lent, our Parish has services every Monday & Friday night (then look out for Holy Week!). Our Priest has often scheduled a film series for Monday nights after the service during Lent, and for the past 3 or so years he turned to me (dare I say "reached out"?) for suggestions on a theme he's chosen. This year he was looking for films of "inspiration". With a byzantine (what else could it be?) backstory that I won't go into, this year's was scheduled, then cancelled.

By popular demand, I was asked by our Stewardship Committee (which Mrs. ChiO chairs, but she wasn't part of the popular demand) to reschedule it. Thinking Friday would be more convenient, viola! We had about a dozen for movie #1 one last week.

The scheduled films, which I selected, introduce and moderate discussion, stuck with the "inspiration" theme, but added a focus on Community and journey (Great Lent is a journey):

A Matter of Life and Death
Stars in My Crown
Strange Cargo
Killer of Sheep

As is evident, I in no way allowed my affection for a movie to influence my selections. You were expecting Hail Mary, The Devils, L'age d'or and The Miracle of Morgan's Creek maybe?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Sounds very intriguing. Your choices aren't what I'd think of as typical fare.

In my very limited church experience, I've had to sit through, with my Catholic cousins, interminable kiddie Easter shows at various churches, featuring Davey and Goliath-type movies, some animated, some live-action. (But not the real thing of course, 'cause D&G were - oy vey - Lutherans! And we watched D&G on Sunday mornings anyway, Catholicism and Judaisim notwithstanding.) The movies I saw with my cugines had lots of saints and the saintly, and poor little orphans with dirty faces and such. They usually ended with the principals gazing, enraptured, into the distance, as the music swelled.

I don't remember ever going to any Passover movie festivals -- more's the pity. There probably are Passover-themed movies out there somewhere (other than The Ten Commandments).

If all youse guys wonder why some here think I'm so fair-minded, experiences like the above probably contributed. As my father always said about matters ecumenical: "It couldn't hurt."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As a general proposition, I'm not a fan of overtly religious films -- not because of theme certainly, but they are usually poorly made. Of course, there are many exceptions -- Dreyer (though he claimed his movies did not have religious messages) and Bresson immediately come to mind -- but I decided that non-English language and silent films were not crowd winners (we showed The Passion of Joan of Arc and Diary of a Country Priest a couple of years ago to mixed reaction).

My general criteria: English language, well-done (at least in my opinion), a message that can be tied to a Christian theme, appropriate for mid-teens and up, preferably one that the audience likely has not seen, and I have a passion for the movie (I'm not nutzo over Strange Cargo, but I thought one with a more overt message might be nice and that maybe the cast would be a draw). Mrs. ChiO & I had a lively discussion about the appropriateness of Killer of Sheep due to what she perceives as its "artiness". I won (but I hope it doesn't lead to an "I told you so" moment).

Programming ain't as easy as I thought.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chio:

Since you didn't specifically name the inspirational theme you were looking for, perhaps you would care to look up on imdB, the Keys of the Kingdom. Although a story about a priest trying to carry on a church in non-christian China, it is a very action packed film, with several mini-plots happening. In all the times I've watched this movie in the past 2 years or so since I first learned of it, and recorded it, today is the first I realized that was Amanda Blake as Kate. Since James Arness played one of the Isabel sons, could this have been a beginning to the casting of Gunsmoke?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Chris kindly wrote:

Let us know how it goes.
After introducing the film to the dozen or more folks, none of whom had heard of or seen STARS IN MY CROWN except Mrs. ChiO & me, I immediately started fretting. Did I oversell it? Is it too slow? Is that scene overly sentimental? Too preachy? Then, "The End" appeared and the audience applauded and applauded and applauded, including our new young Priest. Pheww, excommunication held off for another week! The discussion was excellent and everyone was involved. When the discussion got to the different Communities depicted and how the various Outsiders dealt with each Community, we finally got to Uncle Famous and his significance, especially that moving shot of him framed by the church window at the end. The consensus was that he was the spiritual heart of the movie, and there were various approaches expressed, but the general view was that he was rejected by the Community at large despite his goodness. Then a hand went up in the back.

"I see him as not only the spiritual focus, but as the spiritual catalyst. His role was to bring the Community together. He accomplished that. They are all in Church. His role was fulfilled. Now it was his time to move on."

The room was silent and my jaw dropped. Why hadn't I ever thought of that? Chris Fujiwara (Jacques Tourneur: The Cinema of Nightfall) hadn't even written that. This is what these discussions are all about! So I said the first words that came to mind: "That's a wonderful insight. Thank you, Daughter." (Dad's chest puffed out)

Then on Saturday, the three of us flew to DC to see Naomi Louise (note: There is now confirmation that she's the most beautiful child ever born.). My son-in-law and I are returning from the grocery store and he says: "Last week we watched one of the movies you sent us for Christmas. I can't remember the title, but it was about a minister in a small town after the Civil War...." "STARS IN MY CROWN?", sez I. "Yes! We've been talking about it ever since. What a great movie!" Whereupon further discussion was had.

One viewer at a time....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wow, what an affirmation of your excellent (well, for the most part anyway, see the musical poll going on :D )
taste in films. AND daughters. AND grandaughters. Must be mom's genes..... :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glorious. What a great story. We never know what we can bring to people if only they stop long enough to watch.

Next time you come to DC, when circumstances aren't so profound, let me know and we will have lunch or dinner. Congratulations on having the most beautiful grandchild ever and the most beautiful child since your own were born.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Great Lent starts Monday and that means...I get to subject people to movies I want to talk about. And our new Priest (a different person than the new Priest last year) consented. Here's the relevant portion of the announcement flyer:

Friday, March 11

Stars in My Crown (Jacques Tourneur, 1950): Back by Popular Demand! This quiet, but gripping tale of a parson in the rural Reconstruction South, speaks loudly about our need for Faith, Community and Memory. Starring Joel McCrea, Ellen Drew, Dean Stockwell, Juano Hernandez. A rarely seen, must-see movie not to be missed!

Friday, March 18

On Dangerous Ground (Nicholas Ray, 1951): An angry and world weary big city cop on a downward spiral is assigned to investigate a rural murder. He must face his demons and the world they have created, but redemption is available…if he chooses. Starring Robert Ryan, Ida Lupino, Ward Bond. A film noir masterpiece!

Friday, March 25

A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger, 1944): A WWII saga very loosely based on Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, this film is a mystery, a melodrama, and a romance decorated with Powell’s wry humor. Starring Eric Portman, Sheila Sim, Dennis Price. Another Michael Powell classic!

Friday, April 1

WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008): A lonely little robot is found by an alien robot in this grown-up movie disguised as a child’s cartoon, weaving elements of Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Creation and the Fall into a story of salvation. A movie of the ages for all ages!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ChiO wrote: Friday, March 25

A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressberger, 1944): A WWII saga very loosely based on Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, this film is a mystery, a melodrama, and a romance decorated with Powell’s wry humor. Starring Eric Portman, Sheila Sim, Dennis Price. Another Michael Powell classic!
ChIO - Thank you for sharing this post - I always wanted to see this movie - A Canterbury Tale starring Michael Powell. It is on my list of movies that I've not seen yet. I will post a reminder on my PC to remind myself to watch it. Thanks a Million!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey Birthday Boy..I keep looking at the schedule at TCM, but I can't find the time or the listing for Stars..are you sure it's showing???
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Hey, Judgeroo...

This thread was started when Stars in My Crown was going to be showing on an Easter morning. Then later I posted a Lenten film series here because it included Stars in My Crown. And I did that again this year.

So it only goes to show that you can't always believe a headline.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

shucks, I thought it meant you get to talk about films you love HERE....(Couldn't figure out why the Priest had to agree :lol: :lol: :lol: )
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Stars in My Crown (1950) has been released on a remastered DVD thanks to the Warner Archive, as many of you know. Rob Sweeney gives that DVD and Antonioni's fascinating sounding I Venti (1953) an excellent review on the Movie Morlocks this week. I particularly love his description of a pivotal moment between the Pastor (Joel McCrea) and Harriet (Ellen Drew).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Stars in My Crown is available from the Warner Archive.

http://www.wbshop.com/Stars-In-My-Crown ... html?cgid=

Dave Kehr has a column in the New York Times about some of the Archive's recent western releases, including Stars in My Crown and The Wild Rovers (with William Holden and Ryan O'Neal).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/movie ... .html?_r=1