Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

Death NEEDS that Holiday, damn it.

Karl Malden's obituary can be seen here. He had a life lived fully and well, as far as I'm concerned, especially after enjoying reading his autobiography about a year ago. At least he had a chance to live 97 years!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Michael Jackson AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I don't have any idea how old his kids are - don't they have mothers? but I certainly hope if not, they are adopted by some people who will raise them with some sense of responsibility, love for each other, and decent lifestyles to honor, different than what they've had so far.

So much for that!

. . . . . Now, on to real people.

The guy who could give little kids nightmares with his craggy face, gravelly voice and stoney stare. Lt. Mike Stone of San Francisco instructing a young Michael Douglas in the ways of the streets before he was the son of Kirk Douglas. Another actor who never really achieved the acclaim he deserved but everything he did was memorable. He brought conventional detectives, Army sergeants, pioneers, cowboys and who knows what other human types, to life?

Rest in peace Mr. Malden.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Malden sure played a mean SOB in "The Hanging Tree."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Harve Presnell, too. Today I feel like the Grim Reaper.

Death does need a holiday, where's Freddie March and Evelyn Venable when you need em?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've just seen Karl Malden has died on the candids thread. What a pity I have memories of trying to stay up to watch The Streets of San Francisco. I loved his performance in A Streetcar Named Desire it was a good part, well written and very well played.

I guess we're not getting the same coverage here Anne. MJ is just a footnote on the news here but it's just bizarre. I always assumed that his children were the fruit of his lions, so to speak.

I see someone else has died too. What is happening this week?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello,

Very sad about Karl Malden but at least he lived a long and exemplary life as an artist and a star....
I guess at 97, it was not unexpected.

R.I.P. Mr. Malden

Also, Harve Presnell was a real singer and it's unfortunate he didn't achieve greater fame and recognition.

R.I.P. Mr. Presnell

And, I've just heard that Mollie Sugden died today at 87. She was a gem of British stage, screen and television for many years and was also an artist....

R.I.P. Miss Sugden

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Jimminy Xmas!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somebody call Livvy deHaviland, tell her to stay indoors; and I'd recommend a fresh coat of lamb's blood for the lintel post over at Kirk Douglas' place!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Karl Malden was a great actor, and the most significant passing of them all.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

KLONDIKE: YOU ARE DEFINITELY NUTS !!!! You must be the life of every party you go to. This is usually a somber thread but you turn it into a comedy trip.

CharlieChaplinFan:
MJ is still headline news here, yesterday it was his will, and today the discussion of it.

I don't know the one person, but Harve Presnell was pretty big on Broadway I think. If you're not sure of who he is, he played Johnny Brown to Debbie Reynolds Unsinkable Molly Brown.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Modern audiences would probably recall Harve Presnell best for his role as the domineering father-in-law who irritates the livin' bejezus out of William H. Macy in Fargo.
And hey, am I misremembering, or did Molly Sugden not play the irrepressible Mrs. Slocum on BBC's "Are You Being Served?"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Yes, Molly Sugden was Mrs Slocombe in Are You Being Served. A stalwart of British TV.

Death certainly does need to take a holiday.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Roger Ebert, in his article today on Karl Malden, had this quote that puts some perspective on things:

People have told me that I came to this industry at its Golden Age. But when I was there, it was just an age.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

My, they are quick on YouTube. There is alread a tribute to Mollie Sugden posted.
Now we have lost three of the wonderful actors from Are You Being Served in the recent past: John Inman, Wendy Richard, and now Mollie Sugden.

When my daughter was about 8 or 9, she wrote Sugden a fan letter, and Sugden sent her a very sweet letter in response, with an autographed photo. Margo also spoke with her on the phone during a public television fund raising drive (she spoke with Inman as well another time). Ah, me.

[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mollie was indeed a treasure as Mrs. Slocombe . . . and would you believe that it was my kids, as adolescents/young teens, who first turned Deb & I on to "Are You Being Served?"
Makes sense, I guess; kids usually know all the best places to surf the idiot box! :mrgreen:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Mollie Sugden and her Pussy did more to make this world a happier place than MJ could ever dream of.
She was a riot. Do you remember the tarts and vicars party?

B