Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Strange that the article didn't mention being Dana's brother.
They must have amended it since it was first posted. Steve Forrest's sibling relation to Dana Andrews is there now.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

She brightened our evenings when we watched All in the Family and also reminded us of what an effective dramatic actress she could be. Jean Stapleton has died at 90.

From the LA Times:

Jean Stapleton, who played Archie Bunker’s long-suffering wife Edith in the long-running 1970s television series “All in the Family,” died Friday at her New York City home. She was 90.

Stapleton died of natural causes, her family announced Saturday.

She had been a veteran of stage, film and television when she was cast in the CBS sitcom opposite Carroll O’Connor’s loud-mouthed, bigoted Archie Bunker, who liked to call her "dingbat." She won three Emmys for the role.

“The benign, compassionate presence she developed made my egregious churl bearable,” O'Connor wrote of Stapleton in his 1998 autobiography. He died in 2001.

Born in New York City on Jan. 19, 1923, Stapleton was the daughter of a billboard advertising salesman and an opera singer.

In 1949, she got a break when she was cast in the national touring company of “Harvey.” Many characters later in summer stock, regional and off-Broadway plays, Stapleton starred as a wisecracking waitress in 1953 Broadway production of “In the Summer House.”

Stapleton went on to a feature role as Sister in “Damn Yankees,” singing the hit tune “You've Gotta Have Heart,” and reprised the role in the 1958 film. She also appeared in both the stage and film versions of “The Bells Are Ringing” as Sue, the proprietor of Susanswerphone Service. And she originated the role of Mrs. Strakosh in “Funny Girl,” which made a Broadway star of Barbra Streisand.

Stapleton is survived by her children, television producer Pamela Putch and film and television director John Putch.

Her interview with the TV Academy: http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... -stapleton
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Rest in peace...you dingbat!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jean Stapleton is a class act and she's is not forgotten ... I always liked her ... always!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Jean Stapleton was a wonderful actress, she made Edith Bunker live and breathe in all her humanity.

What I loved was when she broke out and played other types of roles, like Aunt Mary, which I'll never forget, or an amazing Penny in You Can't Take it With You. You all know I love my character actors and actresses, and Jean Stapleton was the epitome of the hard working character actress if ever there was one. God bless her, I'm so glad she got some fame and recognition after all those years at Susanswerphone. She's got a place in history, and I bet she was terribly proud of that. I think it shows the real woman underneath to hear how she was happy to find other work afterwards, doing what she loved best, digging into a new character.

You can hear her discuss her career here:

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... -stapleton
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 85,00.html

But a nice, long life.

RIP Miss Williams.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Esther Williams has left us.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Oh, my gosh! Another film legend gone.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Esther Williams, the swimming sensation and movie star, has passed away at the age of 91:

From the Washington Post:

Esther Williams, the swimming champion turned actress who starred in glittering and aquatic Technicolor musicals of the 1940s and 1950s, has died. She was 91.

Williams died early Thursday in her sleep, according to her longtime publicist Harlan Boll.

Following in the footsteps of Sonja Henie, who went from skating champion to movie star, Williams became one of Hollywood’s biggest moneymakers, appearing in spectacular swimsuit numbers that capitalized on her wholesome beauty and perfect figure.

Such films as “Easy to Wed,” ‘’Neptune’s Daughter” and “Dangerous When Wet” followed the same formula: romance, music, a bit of comedy and a flimsy plot that provided excuses to get Esther into the water.

The extravaganzas dazzled a second generation via television and the compilation films “That’s Entertainment.” Williams’ co-stars included the pick of the MGM contract list, including Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Red Skelton, Ricardo Montalban and Howard Keel.

When hard times signaled the end of big studios and costly musicals in the mid-’50s, Williams tried non-swimming roles with little success. After her 1962 marriage to Fernando Lamas, her co-star in “Dangerous When Wet,” she retired from public life.

She explained in a 1984 interview: “A really terrific guy comes along and says, ‘I wish you’d stay home and be my wife,’ and that’s the most logical thing in the world for a Latin. And I loved being a Latin wife — you get treated very well. There’s a lot of attention in return for that sacrifice.”

She came to films after winning 100-meter freestyle and other races at the 1939 national championships and appearing at the San Francisco World’s Fair’s swimming exhibition.

For more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obi ... story.html
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How sad this feels. God rest her swimmer's soul. Esther Williams and Johnny Weismuller were two people in movies who influenced my young life forever thanks to an early love of their films on the tube. Due to a birth defect, I could never run well or walk much, but their example made me a swimmer. No champion, but I think their grace is always there in the back of my mind when I have enjoyed the freedom of movement that swimming through water can impart. Esther did a great deal of good for many people by making us think emulating her was possible. Her obituary in the LA Times is below:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 8484.story
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This is somehow shocking, it feels like a huge loss. Maybe it's because she was so vibrant and healthy a person, and maybe it's because she is perhaps the last of a generation of glamorous stars.

I loved seeing her through the years, always graceful, always cheerful. She had fun. She to me, is the epitome of my mom's generation - good natured, humorous, gracious, with that poise and style we all wish we had. She was sincerely beautiful (though she didn't seem to know it) and multi-talented (though she never got the credit for acting, singing and dancing). It was and is always special to see Esther, she makes you feel good. Whether she was performing in a movie or appearing on the talk show circuit, she always seemed to be having a ball.

[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Talk about a unique star who really carved her own niche.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Esther Williams is a graceful swimmer and even graceful actress that shines like no other ... I'm a huge fan of her film the Million Dollar Mermaid ... shown below

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

She is a class act and she will not be forgotten ... whether it's doing swimming, musicals, and whatever she does ... she lights up the room with her radiant beauty. I adore her.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Some Esther Williams Photos that I have ...

She is a lovely lady and a graceful swimmer like no other in the world ...
Attachments
Esther Williams 5.jpg
Esther Williams 5.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Esther Williams 6.jpg
Esther Williams 6.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
Esther Williams BNG.jpg
Esther Williams BNG.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 4388 times