Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Ollie

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by Ollie »

I need to get the big plastic sheets laying over the TV screens and my pile of rotting fruit and veggies kept handier so I can toss those as that promo runs. Darn. So far, I've only had that plastic sheets layed over the walls, the floors and furniture, kids, wife, etc. I haven't even had time to grab the fruit! I gotta get a time-table for these promo's so I can be ready-!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Thank you, Nancy, for putting up that link to our "STARS"...

Joe -
There's nothing wrong with that phicture of you; you look great and very dapper!! Very Ronald Colman-ish....
And, from that blurb on there, I just knew I was right, when years ago I stated that you were surrounded by bokks, magazines and encyclopedias on movies... Haha!! - you can't fool me!!

Lynn -
Your challenged hair looks fine. You look very pretty - - very Shirley Knight....

Kyle -
Well, I thought that was Kevin Bacon!!! Never mind 6 degrees away from - you are him....

April -
Always loved my 'Miss Goddess' - - you look lovely (will you marry me)... I'd equate you with Joan Caulfield or Anita Louise... I'd say also a bit Frances Farmer (but please don't go nuts on us!!)......

Larry
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Enjoyable interviews, Moira! I especially appreciated the bird's eye view of the set. That fed my fascination with all things behind-the-scenes. I grilled Lynn about the set, its size and how it was laid out when I first heard she had been there. This countdown is killing me! I want to see them now. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Vecchiolarry wrote:
April -
Always loved my 'Miss Goddess' - - you look lovely (will you marry me)... I'd equate you with Joan Caulfield or Anita Louise... I'd say also a bit Frances Farmer (but please don't go nuts on us!!)......

Larry

Thank you, Larry---you definitely flatter me (especially with that awful picture of me) but I'll take it! :D

I'm getting REALLY nervous, guys...the wackos are really coming out at TCM so I wonder if I'll even have
the courage to look at that website next week! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi April,

Well, "wackos" are just that - they're ignorant and jealous and indecisive - and well, "wackos"!!!
Don't pay any attention to them; they're not worth your time or trouble...
You know who you are and what you know and what you want; they don't, so they attack...

I have not gone over to TCM for months, but people there and from long ago on there still E-Mail me occaisonally and they are all fed up.
Any derogatory comments - put them in the garbage.

For one, I am happy for the bunch of you to have gone to Atlanta, been on TV and imparted your knowledge and passion for movies.

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I know that when the strange birds gather on a branch together on the TCM Message Boards their piercing catcalls are hard to ignore, but if you can, I'd try to NOT look at their words. Think of how little they must have in their lives to choose to be so negative all the time. You guys should all enjoy your moment. You deserve it.

Btw, I saw "The Show" over the weekend, the new TCM feature that acts as a video version of Now Playing for the month. When Robert Osborne actually mentioned Joe and Theresa by name I let out such a shout, I think my neighbors probably wonder if I'd just had a eureka moment...or something. :wink:

This event was really real for the first time. Can't wait to see further interstitials throughout the month featuring each of the Fan Programmers. I'm so happy for you guys.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Moira,

I currently have nearly 20 user IDs (it's basically the same person) on "Ignore"
at TCM, so I am doing my best. But they keep making new sockie puppets and if you don't
talk to new people you get your reputation slashed to pieces for being "rude" and mean to
newbies or for being part of an evil "clique". It's a lose-lose situation so I'm just rambling
about Shane and may duck out next week completely, and just stay close to SSO.
-- Will Rogers
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

That really sucks but I know how you must feel. I'd love to have been a programmer but would've probably been a nervous wreck that people would heckle me for whatever reason. It's annoying that these weird people can't just be happy for the "ordinary folk" who've been given a chance to appear on the network and gush about their favorite flicks. I'm just glad TCM decided to do this for their anniversary rather than invite celebrities or critics to host films. And it's nice that the backgrounds of the viewers are somewhat varied (they're not all from the entertainment world or even from big cities).

I dropped cable last year, but I've visited the TCM website and thought the spots that are posted seemed pleasant and heartfelt.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I must be living vicariously through you guys, because when I saw the longer promo I squealed like a pig, I was so excited for you!
Take my word for it, you all look really great and your enthusiasm comes across even in the quick few seconds of sound bites.
I love CineMaven's hair, (you should give Elvis Mitchell some help) her voice and she's the only one wearing a color-beautiful coral blouse!
hlywdkjk is exactly like I pictured him, I can't imagine why. Just tall, lean, cool & collected...almost Ray Milland-ish for some reason.
Also lzcutter looks exactly as I pictured her from her posts. Pretty & smart. Except her moniker always makes me see her weilding a cleaver in my mind's eye.
MissGoddess completely lives up to her screen name, what a heartbreaker for you male viewers.
And I think I'm developing a crush on filmlover.....passionate, cute & a good film choice.

I was a bit disappointed they stacked you all on the same dates. I can only stay awake for the 8 & 10pm intros. I plan on taping the first (and last) 5 minutes of every screening, just to get to hear your comments. I'm no John Wayne fan, but I will tape Yellow Ribbon-if lz says it's great, it must be. And thanks for choosing Those Lips Those Eyes. Never seen it & will tape that one for sure!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter or somebody:

Do you have a schedule for when the promo of you guys will be on? I looked over on TCM but they only show the short version but from reading these posts, it seems like there is a longer version. TCM seems to be in a cycle right now that is showing 5th and 6th repeats of films, and although I like them, 6 and 7 viewings is a little too much even for me, except today, I'll tune in to one or two Jim Garners.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne---to my knowledge, there is no schedule posted for the promotional
interstertials, or for "Now Playing: The Show". The best hope for catching
them would be to determine if there is a long enough window of time between
the broadcast of two movies for one of them to air.
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I'm almost certain the lack of a defined, listed schedule for these promos is one of MissG's various celebrity demands. It probably went something like this... "I want TCM to not list any defined schedule because this will frustrate Ollie to no end. He'll make his TV room end up looking like a indoor compost pile while he waits to throw rotting fruit at me. So let's just do it in spurts and starts, click away real fast, and REALLY frustate him."

I'm fairly sure this is what happens. She lives to torture me. She sets me up. It's like I'm the poor Marlene Dietrich on the stand, being set up by Charles Laughton as he reads a love letter "to Max". Then she insists those love letters aren't hers, that they're not even written on her stationary. "It's light blue..." and Charles Laughton lays aside his laundry list and then produces the stack of light-blue love letters to Max. And she warbles out her curse upon him.

Or maybe Snoopy said it best - "Curse you, Red MissG!"

I'm pretty sure that's what he MEANT to say at least...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry and everyone,

Thanks so much for all the compliments, well wishes and support for all of us fan programmers. You guys help making the wait for next week very enjoyable!

Kudos to all!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ollie wrote: I'm fairly sure this is what happens. She lives to torture me. She sets me up. It's like I'm the poor Marlene Dietrich on the stand, being set up by Charles Laughton as he reads a love letter "to Max". Then she insists those love letters aren't hers, that they're not even written on her stationary. "It's light blue..." and Charles Laughton lays aside his laundry list and then produces the stack of light-blue love letters to Max. And she warbles out her curse upon him.

Care to buy me a drink, DUCKY????

:wink:
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

People tease me all the time because I'm alwas saying 'Ducky' for answers to 'how are you' and 'what do you think of the weather', etc.

This is a bad week for me for TCM, again there is very little that interests me.

Wednesday: a.m. Movies are all on the cusp of sound and those just don't excite me. Most of them are too simple for me, and usually, no matter how they try, pretty bad prints.

Thursday: basically the same as Wednesday, except The Stratton Story which I've seen about 20 times now. Also I have some problems with movies about AIDS and drug problems, not because of the gay stuff, but the blood transfusions, and you know I hate drugs. E. Mitchell with Bill Murray . . . to me Murray is eeeeewwwwwww.

Friday: Early a.m. is okay if I'm up but after 9:30 too many repeats again. At night, Herbie was never a star for me.

Saturday and Sunday we go into all those Easter biblical epics - ho hum.

But you're suggestion is good, I guess each a.m. I can look for long intervals and maybe catch the promo once.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************