"Jules et Jim"

Discussion of programming on TCM.
otterhere

"Jules et Jim"

Post by otterhere »

I'm kind of new to this site (or "new again") and don't see a foreign film category; bah, humbug... But I loved this one, once I got past all the silly Boheimian antics; I'm such a conservative curmudgeon, I always find myself wondering what they live on, food stamps, Medicaid, etc., LOL...

Other foreign film fans out there?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Otterhere, welcome back.

Please count me as a big foreign film fan, especially French, Italian and Japanese movies.

I found Jules et Jim enjoyable and life-affirming when I saw it as a teenager, but think that they were a slightly tedious lot to hang with for two hours later on in life. Yes, I do know what you mean about wondering what people live on, but, as becomes clear by the end of Truffaut's movie, real life inevitably intrudes on these people too. Do you like any other Francois Truffaut movies? Some of my favorites are The 400 Blows, L'Enfant Sauvage, The Bride Wore Black, Mississippi Mermaid, The Last Metro, Day for Night, and The Woman Next Door.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Huge foreign fan and I love Jules and Jim. While I understand what you're saying about the menial tasks of living, I think Truffaut purposely avoided that aspect to create something that dealt exclusively with the relationship aspect: how the characters saw each other (I love the freeze frame snapshots of Moreau) and the evolving changes that come with the passing of time. Kieslowski's Decalogue (1988) is similar in that we see no evidence of life in a communist state, but an interaction of humanity that is universal in nature.

Great to see you again. We actually have several different continents represented here, so many of the films you might be interested in can be discussed by people who have actually seen them in their native country.
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Thanks; good to be here (again)!

Actually, the film -- which I watched on tape (still using a VCR; Luddite!!!) -- ended prematurely; not sure if this was my fault, although I checked my VCR clock and it was accurate, or if the TCM clock got messed up again (this happened once before), but fortunately I'd seen J&J before, so I wasn't left wondering what Jules should "watch closely"!

Thanks, TCM, for showing this great CLASSIC foreign film; more of the same, please!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Another foreign film fan here and quite a newbie to foreign films too. I only started discovering them when I joined a postal DVD rental service.

Like Moira I especially love French, Italian and Japanese films. Jules et Jim is a gorgeous looking film. Jeanne Moreau has a most expressive face and is a wonderful actress.

There is a thread on Japanese movies under People of Film (didn't know where else to put it either) Look forward to expanding on these themes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin