Carbine Williams (1952)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Carbine Williams (1952)

Post by moira finnie »

Did anyone watch Carbine Williams (1952), with Jimmy Stewart, Jean Hagen and Wendell Corey last night on TCM? I love Jimmy's expression when he got 30 years. This movie always seemed to be a companion piece to The Stratton Story (1949). Same tone, and a touch or two of grittiness, especially interesting because you can see Stewart getting better and better in these pictures, you know? Do you have any opinions on this biopic that you'd like to share?
I think they're trying to make Jimmy look fey and happy-go-lucky in this poster. Almost as though he might have been operating a still in the backwoods with a 6 foot tall rabbit. Big mistake in marketing.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ollie

Re: Carbine Williams (1952)

Post by Ollie »

Yeah, that's a strange poster that no one would connect to this picture, once they'd seen it. I think this is a solid outing for him. He shows some argumentative spirit here, some rather unadorned sinfulness and some rather callous and selfish anger. And he delivers it well. Then, he returns as Jimmy Stewart by the end of the film - I'm sure the studio execs loved that.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I own a completely different poster of this movie....but in all versions they really seem to focus on Stewart's big head. He must have been a big draw for the film. When I spotted these posters at a dealer's table, I yelled across the room like a banshee to the curator of the Jimmie Stewart Museum. He came over and bought all except mine and explained the film was re-released later because it never got the audience they wanted the first time. (corroborated by Robt Osborne's commentary) I bought a re-release poster because it was in mint condition.
I watched it the other night and was yet again struck by Jean Hagan. She is definitely pretty, but can just about alter her face (or am I imagining it?) to suit her charactor. She seems to actually become different people in different roles. I am always amazed by her chameleon ability. Underrated actress, in my opinion.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Good point about Hagen. It's amazing to see SINGIN' IN THE RAIN's Lina as Sterling Hayden's girlfriend-wannabe in ASPHALT JUNGLE, or Danny Thomas' first wife in MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY (only a couple of seasons) or as Ray Milland's wife in PANIC IN YEAR ZERO. The Lina Role is so incredible to me.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Ollie wrote:Good point about Hagen. The Lina Role is so incredible to me.
Yeah, especially since I saw her in that role first. I had seen Asphalt Jungle numerous times and never realized she was the same person! :shock:
Now, if I see her name in the credits I watch the film just to see her performance. Amazing!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Tiki, I'm the same way. Then, years later, I'd realize she was Ray Milland's wife in PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, a role that is so stuck in American-TV-Mom limits that it's barely a role at all. (A shame, too - that movie could use a lot of help in a lot of areas!)

A couple of years ago (or was it last year?), her season on MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY was released on DVD and again, I was amazed. She was doing the June Cleaver role, nothing more, nothing less. She left that series and I have a feeling she 'escaped', hopefully because she just didn't care for such a limited part. She didn't do a lot else afterwards, but there aren't a lot of roles where she can go from Lina to ASPHALT for any actor, ever. I give her huge points for doing those so perfectly. She's become one of the many actors I "collect" just because of that.