This week on Turner

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I feel the same about Brando/SAYONARA. :wink:
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

I really appreciate you all listing little seen TCM movies on this week, since I haven't had a chance to look at the schedule.

Miss G, are you a Melvyn Douglas fan? I love that little 'catch' he gets in his voice. My eyes are always rivited when he's on the screen.

It's been YEARS since I've seen SEA OF GRASS -- for some reason TCM seems to show it in the early morning hours. . .

Also didn't know about the Joseph Cotten movie this week.

Julie
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Saturday's Children (1940) is coming on early Wednesday. Great Garfield/Claude Rains flick that deals with a young married couple struggling to get by.

I don't know what's so heartwarming about those early Garfield/Rains pictures, but they always leave you with a good feeling even when tragic things happen.

Also up on TCM Underground is a nice pair of Blaxploitation films featuring Fred Willamson: Black Ceasar (1973) and Hell up in Harlem (1974). Enjoy. 8)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Also up on TCM Underground is a nice pair of Blaxploitation films featuring Fred Willamson: Black Ceasar (1973) and Hell up in Harlem (1974). Enjoy. 8)
I am really looking forward to those. Now if they could do a Rudy Ray Moore night, I'd be totally happy.
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Lynn,

With regards to BJ Goes to Washington:

Once upon a time, there was a great movie called "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". This film has taken that script and made it into a movie that is so bad, you can't wait to get it out of the house and back to the rental company as fast as you can. I saw the first three Billy Jack films when they initially came out, and they were intriguing at the time. Well, "Billy Jack" was intriguing, but the others were only fair. But "BJ Goes to Washington" is, first, an insult to "Mr. Smith", and, second, painful to watch in how badly edited and cheaply made it was. I had heard many years ago of this film not being released because of, according to Tom Laughlin, political pressure...but, believe me, this is just a bad movie that wasn't worth releasing. If anything, the only thing I can compare it to are some of the inept films of the Fifties that Ed Wood directed. Stay away!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Filmlover,

After having sat through "Trial", I've no doubt that "BJ/Washington" is horrible.

As long as they had a shoe string budget they made better films. Once they got a more bucks, the talent they had for plugging into pop culture blew away.

I am fascinated by the all the sons and daughters of Hollywood stars they had in their circle of friends:
Frank Capra, jr (did they not understand how rights work and just because you have Capra, jr producing your Washington epic doesn't mean you don't have to get the rights to the story or the script. Capra, sr didn't write the movie),

Lucie Arnaz (who I suspect helped bankroll the troubled project but have no proof of that),

my new favorite son, Bill Wellman, jr (who mercifully for his career, no doubt, stayed away from BJ/Washington).

The only one missing from that era is Jody McCrea.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JulieMarch4th wrote:I really appreciate you all listing little seen TCM movies on this week, since I haven't had a chance to look at the schedule.

Miss G, are you a Melvyn Douglas fan? I love that little 'catch' he gets in his voice. My eyes are always rivited when he's on the screen.

It's been YEARS since I've seen SEA OF GRASS -- for some reason TCM seems to show it in the early morning hours. . .

Also didn't know about the Joseph Cotten movie this week.

Julie
Hola, Julie---yes I am most certainly a Melvyn Douglas fan! I think he projected one of the most charming senses of humor in many of his characters, as if he was in on the joke all the time---even if the joke was on him. He was a lightening influence on Garbo in their films, too, playing genially off of her seriousness---most brilliantly in NINOTCHKA.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

THe week of May 13th:

The 15th is Laurence Olivier's birthday and there is a day long tribute.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?s ... =EST&cid=N

The 17th is Frank Capra films through the daytime.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?s ... =EST&cid=N
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Yes, I saw the Olivier films coming up. I was thinking about recording a few (I have never seen any of his films), but wasn't sure which to do so. I may just pick a couple and see what I come up with! :wink:
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

War Movie Fans:

Toinght at 8:00pm you get Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck in a fine Korean War film. Lots of newcomers you'll recognize in this film. It recently ran on Encore but now we get it in widescreen.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."