Name Five Films Worthy of Rediscovery

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Name Five Films Worthy of Rediscovery

Post by MissGoddess »

(I posted this at TCM and thought it might be fun here, too)
Can you name five films you consider the most underrated, least appreciated, etc. of the classic
era? To (hopefully) keep things simple, I leave it to each person’s discretion how they define
the “classic era”. Selections can be from any genre, style or, to be really wide ranging, any
country.

If you can, give a brief explanation why you personally consider your movie choices underrated so
that it may pique the interest of those unfamiliar with them---and maybe TCM’s interest in airing
them.

What I'd love to see are very subjective explanations about each choice. Try to "sell it"
based on your own feelings and perspective about the films.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Name Five Films Worthy of Rediscovery

Post by movieman1957 »

Three of my films have been on TCM. (One is coming up soon.) It is hard to distinguish between what this group would consider rediscovering compared to someone that might have a casual interest in films. Anyway -

"Five Graves To Cairo." Early Billy Wilder war film that is full of suspense and a little surprise to boot. I haven't seen it in years but would be well worth anyone's time.

"Too Many Husbands." It airs on Jean Arthur day. A same year reworking of "My Favorite Wife" has a lovely twist on it and I think one of her least known films. Melvyn Douglas and Fred MacMurray play her husbands. Lots of fun in its own right.

"Experiment In Terror." Blake Edwards tension filled suspense film about young woman who witnesses a robbery and the FBI's (Glenn Ford) attempt to protect her. Great idea of more or less hiding indentity of villain well into the movie helps build suspense. Also great use of baseball stadium, game and crowd for climax. (Has been shown on TCM.)

"Vivacious Lady." May not be a stretch but never mentioned in the legend of Stewart or Ginger Rogers pictures. Funny comedy about stuffy professor who falls for showgirl. Love at first sight story makes fun of introducing Rogers to even stuffier family. Contains one of the great girl fights of all time. Wonderful discovery of some favorite stars.

"Last Holiday." British film starring Alec Guiness of man finding out he has short time to live. He is going to enjoy it. Fun and serious with wonderful performance by Guiness. Haven't seen it in years but has been released on DVD and will soon be on its way from Netflix.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is a great idea for a thread and I love Chris' suggestions, especially Vivacious Lady (1938), which is one of director George Stevens' most enjoyable pre-war features, highlighting the two leads very well. Btw, Rogers and Stewart dated during this period off-screen as well.

Kitty (1945-Mitchell Leisen): This tells the story of a girl "who made a career out of love." Set in the 18th century in London, Paulette Goddard and Ray Milland make a naughty team, though Cecil Kellaway as painter Thomas Gainsborough comes close to stealing each of his scenes. It's also a lovely looking movie, loaded with period details. Goddard is also very lively and likable here.

The Private Affairs Of Bel Ami (1947-Albert Lewin): Producer/Director Albert Lewin made three films with George Sanders (the others were The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Moon and Sixpence). Though the pacing of these movies is sometimes off-putting for modern audiences, this movie, which adapts Guy de Maupassant's somewhat cynical stories into an outline of the career of a cad is beautifully made, with good to great performances by Sanders, Angela Lansbury and, perhaps best of all, Ann Dvorak. This is also the last film of Warren William, who appears in a smallish part as a man who sees through Bel Ami.

The Cross of Lorraine (1943-Tay Garnett): Okay, I'm a fool for Gene Kelly movies, but this one, made when he was almost brand new to movies works very well as an ensemble piece about French POWs held by the Nazis. Jean-Pierre Aumont, Peter Lorre, Cedric Hardwicke, and especially Hume Cronyn are all excellent. Gene plays a mouthy French cabbie who is traumatized after being tortured mercilessly. He's good. Honest. And he doesn't dance a step.

Once in a Lifetime (1932-Russell Mack): I saw this thirty years ago on PBS after it had been "rediscovered" somewhere and haven't seen it since. Based on a Kauffman and Hart play about the transition from silents to talkies, starring Jack Oakie and Aline MacMahon, it may be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Or it may stink. I'd like to find out again. If only a print could be broadcast again!

Broadway Bill (1934-Frank Capra): Before Capra became a purveyor of corn, he and screenwriter Robert Riskin made this horsetrack tale, with Warner Baxter as a failed speculator on the ponies, and Myrna Loy as his beloved. The supporting cast, which includes Clarence Muse, Margaret Hamilton, and the divine four flusher Raymond Walburn, among others, is one of several reasons to see this movie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, April -- this is one of those questions that engenders multiple answers. I can think of five now, and I'm sure I can come up with five times five more. But for now:

Tomorrow is Forever (Irving Pichel, 1946) -- We've discussed this one here, and it remains one of the best soap/melodramas Hollywood ever produced. Absolutely wonderful and committed performances by Claudette Colbert and Orson Welles.

Million Dollar Legs (Edward F. Cline, 1932) -- I just don't know why this one, in light of the popularity of expressionist/dada comedies of the present era, isn't more popular. It's such a hoot. Perhaps, it's that "fatal flaw" thing, because everyone, but everyone in this movie is totally nuts.

The Secret Garden (Fred M. Wilcox, 1949) -- IMO the best of all movie versions of this classic story. Very nicely set and photographed, in B&W and color, charming but unsentimental, and excellent performances from two Hollywood kid stalwarts, Margaret O'Brien (at 12 years old, no longer that breathy little girl) and the amazing Dean Stockwell.

The Great Man Votes (Garson Kanin, 1939) -- A very funny movie about politics and family, with John Barrymore giving one of his scathing self-parody performances. Something similar was done recently -- not the same title, but the trailers looked familiar. No way it could be anywhere near as good as this one. The tart-tongued Virginia Weidler plays Barrymore's sensible daughter.

About Mrs. Leslie (Daniel Mann, 1954) -- What a lovely, lovely movie this is, and so few people know it. What the British would call a "weepie," about a kindly boarding house landlady, Shirley Booth, recounting her past romance with a famous and powerful man. Robert Ryan plays that mysterious man, who spends a few weeks every summer with Booth, where they go by the names "Mr. and Mrs. Leslie." Booth will make you forget that she's a rather dumpy-looking middle aged woman -- she's that good. You won't doubt for a minute that this tall, handsome and stressed out VIP looks foward to spending those precious weeks with this funny, compassionate and wise woman.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Howdy, Chris!

movieman1957 wrote:
Three of my films have been on TCM. (One is coming up soon.) It is hard to distinguish between what this group would consider rediscovering compared to someone that might have a casual interest in films. Anyway -

Casual is okay, there is no "dress code" as far as film preferences here.

Five Graves To Cairo. Early Billy Wilder war film that is full of suspense and a little surprise to boot. I haven't seen it in years but would be well worth anyone's time.

I have never seen this film in its entirety, and need to. It has Otto Preminger in it,
right? Or am I confusing him with Erich von Stroheim?

Experiment In Terror Blake Edwards tension filled suspense film about young woman who witnesses a robbery and the FBI's (Glenn Ford) attempt to protect her. Great idea of more or less hiding indentity of villain well into the movie helps build suspense. Also great use of baseball stadium, game and crowd for climax. (Has been shown on TCM.)

It's one of my favorite suspense films of the era, too. Great score by Henry Mancini,
I might add.

Last Holiday British film starring Alec Guiness of man finding out he has short time to live. He is going to enjoy it. Fun and serious with wonderful performance by Guiness. Haven't seen it in years and don't know if it is even available but check it out if you can find it.

I have never seen this one, but I recall its being shown on TCM. I like the premise.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Kitty (1945-Mitchell Leisen): This tells the story of a girl "who made a career out of love." Set in the 18th century in London, Paulette Goddard and Ray Milland make a naughty team, though Cecil Kellaway as painter Thomas Gainsborough comes close to stealing each of his scenes. It's also a lovely looking movie, loaded with period details. Goddard is also very lively and likable here.

I keep missing this one every time!! I have heard lots of praise for it and in the right role, I really
like Paulette Goddard. This one sounds ideal for her.

The Private Affairs Of Bel Ami (1947-Albert Lewin): Producer/Director Albert Lewin made three films with George Sanders (the others were The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Moon and Sixpence). Though the pacing of these movies is sometimes off-putting for modern audiences, this movie, which adapts Guy de Maupassant's somewhat cynical stories into an outline of the career of a cad is beautifully made, with good to great performances by Sanders, Angela Lansbury and, perhaps best of all, Ann Dvorak. This is also the last film of Warren William, who appears in a smallish part as a man who sees through Bel Ami.

Another one that makes my mouth water. George Sanders playing a cad from a story by de Maupassant. What
could be better?

The Cross of Lorraine (1943-Tay Garnett): Okay, I'm a fool for Gene Kelly movies, but this one, made when he was almost brand new to movies works very well as an ensemble piece about French POWs held by the Nazis. Jean-Pierre Aumont, Peter Lorre, Cedric Hardwicke, and especially Hume Cronyn are all excellent. Gene plays a mouthy French cabbie who is traumatized after being tortured mercilessly. He's good. Honest. And he doesn't dance a step.

Oh, I have to see this. I actually like Kelly in drama, it suits that edginess in his personality.

Once in a Lifetime (1932-Russell Mack): I saw this thirty years ago on PBS after it had been "rediscovered" somewhere and haven't seen it since. Based on a Kauffman and Hart play about the transition from silents to talkies, starring Jack Oakie and Aline MacMahon, it may be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Or it may stink. I'd like to find out again. If only a print could be broadcast again!

I've only read the play and thought it was hilarious, but then I'm a huge fan of Kaufmann & Hart. Great choice!

Broadway Bill (1934-Frank Capra): Before Capra became a purveyor of corn, he and screenwriter Robert Riskin made this horsetrack tale, with Warner Baxter as a failed speculator on the ponies, and Myrna Loy as his beloved. The supporting cast, which includes Clarence Muse, Margaret Hamilton, and the divine four flusher Raymond Walburn, among others, is one of several reasons to see this movie.

I caught this on on the fly not long ago and was agreeably surprised by it. But then, few movies with Myrna
Loy are capable of disappointing. :D

Thanks for posting your selections.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Judith!
jdb1 wrote:Ah, April -- this is one of those questions that engenders multiple answers. I can think of five now, and I'm sure I can come up with five times five more. But for now:

Keep them coming. And that goes for everyone, I was just worried that 5 might be too many to ask for!

Tomorrow is Forever (Irving Pichel, 1946) -- We've discussed this one here, and it remains one of the best soap/melodramas Hollywood ever produced. Absolutely wonderful and committed performances by Claudette Colbert and Orson Welles.

Darn. Now you've done it. I had the chance to see this recently at Lincoln Center at a Natalie Wood retrospective,
but passed in favor of another film due to a po folks budget. Now I regret it. I do enjoy this movie and it's
the kind of movie-movie that would shimmer on the big screen. <SIGH>

Million Dollar Legs (Edward F. Cline, 1932) -- I just don't know why this one, in light of the popularity of expressionist/dada comedies of the present era, isn't more popular. It's such a hoot. Perhaps, it's that "fatal flaw" thing, because everyone, but everyone in this movie is totally nuts.

I don't think I've seen this one---though the title is very familiar (or maybe I'm just connecting it to Betty Grable, lol)

The Great Man Votes (Garson Kanin, 1939) -- A very funny movie about politics and family, with John Barrymore giving one of his scathing self-parody performances. Something similar was done recently -- not the same title, but the trailers looked familiar. No way it could be anywhere near as good as this one. The tart-tongued Virginia Weidler plays Barrymore's sensible daughter.

I really want to see this one again. I haven't since I began to adore John Barrymore and I know I'd love him in it.

About Mrs. Leslie (Daniel Mann, 1954) -- What a lovely, lovely movie this is, and so few people know it. What the British would call a "weepie," about a kindly boarding house landlady, Shirley Booth, recounting her past romance with a famous and powerful man. Robert Ryan plays that mysterious man, who spends a few weeks every summer with Booth, where they go by the names "Mr. and Mrs. Leslie." Booth will make you forget that she's a rather dumpy-looking middle aged woman -- she's that good. You won't doubt for a minute that this tall, handsome and stressed out VIP looks foward to spending those precious weeks with this funny, compassionate and wise woman.

And here is my favorite choice so far, one that would have made my list except that it's been so DARN LONG
since I saw it, I'm starting to forget the details. But it is a testament to its power to stay in my consciousness,
I have longed to see it again ever since and could KICK myself for tossing the VHS recording I had made years
and years ago. I can't find this movie ANYWHERE and I'd be willing to buy a VHS copy if one turned up. Thank
you for including it, Judith.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And none of those I have not seen are at Netflix.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

This is one of those typical MissG Horror threads, forcing me into watching sessions of films I may have never heard of and she knows I'll like 'em. I hate it when she does that to me! I was looking over these fifteen titles. On commercial DVD, these four are available:

Broadway Bill (1934)
Experiment In Terror
Last Holiday (this is a fairly new release)
Too Many Husbands (Warners Archive)

At least one collector that records from TCM has these three:

Secret Garden (1949)
Tomorrow Is Forever (1946)
Vivacious Lady
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I’ve used 1959 as my arbitrary last year of “classic” Hollywood.

COP HATER (William Berke, 1958): One of the sleaziest, nastiest movies I’ve ever seen. Viciousness abounds during a search for a cop killer. Late ‘50s B-noir at its finest. Robert Loggia stars as a cop, and Vincent Gardenia (a grungy tipster) and Jerry Orbach (a JD gang leader) shine.

THE BURGLAR (Paul Wendkos, 1957): The highlight of I Wake Up Dreaming: The Haunted World of the B Film Noir for me at the Roxie last spring. Stolen jewels, double-crossing, two-timing thieves and a cop on-the-make. Dan Duryea is a thief that becomes an almost sympathetic character and Jayne Mansfield, with a superb performance, is his shapely girlfriend.

RUN OF THE ARROW (Samuel Fuller, 1957): From the last bullet fired in the Civil War to its reuse to end the suffering of its same victim, Fuller expounds on pride, patriotism, and racism with his usual vigor. With Rod Steiger, Ralph Meeker, Jay C. Flippen, Charles Bronson and Brian Keith. Where’s your pride, Ma?

THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (Felix Feist, 1947): Just over an hour of drinking, lies, cons, sexual assault, murder and other assorted depravity in the American Nightmare. Oh, and it stars Lawrence Tierney. He’s not the Good Guy.

CITIZEN KANE (Orson Welles, 1941): How can the movie that is probably the most critically acclaimed and analyzed movie in history be on this list? Easy: as long as there is one person who hasn’t seen it, it is underseen; as long as there is one person who has seen it and doesn’t think that it is one of the towering achievements in film (and I know there are such people), it is underappreciated and underrated. From the first time I saw it on a little TV after school on Frances Farmer Presents in the late-‘50s/early ‘60s, to when I first saw it on a big screen in the early-‘80s, to when I watch it at least twice a year now, I am in absolute awe. And there's always something new. The cinematography (Gregg Toland), the script (H. Mankiewicz/Welles), the editing (Robert Wise), the acting (Welles, Comingore, Cotten, Stewart, Moorehead, Warrick, Sloane, Collins...), the score (Bernard Hermann) – everything about the film is breathtaking. No film is flawless, so I’m going to continue watching CITIZEN KANE until I find its flaw.

For fun, the first five post-1959 movies I thought of for such a list:

WANDA (Barbara Loden, 1971): I’ve always wondered what Elia Kazan thought of this.

HUSBANDS (John Cassavetes, 1970): Life just is.

THE SADIST (James Landis, 1963): Arch Hall, Jr. really can act in this astoundingly shot movie, which was cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond’s first U.S. screen credit.

BLAST OF SILENCE (Allen Baron, 1961): Frankie Bono is a contract killer in this noiriest of noirs. Plus, I’m a sucker for Larry Tucker.

THE SAVAGE EYE (Ben Maddow/Sidney Meyers/Joseph Strick, 1960): The other side of WANDA.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Are these movies that haven't been released on DVD or just movies that don't hit the top of the lists but are actually little gems, in that case I nominate

A Kind Of Loving - Alan Bates stars as Vic a man who gets trapped into a loveless marriage because his girl gets knocked up, he lives with her and the mother in law from hell. I like this because it's set in the early 1960's a time when my parents were courting and the biggest scandal that could ever happen was getting pregnant and having to get married, the same was so great. It's beautifully photographed on location and captures it's time period brilliantly. It spawned a television series that some might have seen.

Yanks - Richard Gere at his scrummiest but that's not the whole reason to watch it. The story of an American who gets sent to the North of England with his company during World War II and falls in love with a local girl. Very much like the above, it captures the romance of the era and the hardships of both the Americans and the British trying to get along in wartime.

I'll have to give my others more thought.

Good subject :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

Odd that you mention Yanks.I've had reason to think of it recently. Richard was never more hunky. I haven't seen it in years, but as Frost said, " Love is the irrestible desire of being irrestibly desired".

"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Grand topic April, but how difficult! There are so many to choose...Mmmm

"The Mad Miss Manton" (1938)- From what I had read I had been led to believe that this wonderful screwball comedy was quite average and worthless and I found it one of the funniest films I've seen in the last months. Stany playing a dizzy socialite and her troupe of friends are a hoot!

"Evangeline" (1929)- This was one of the first Silents I ever watched and one of which made me literally "fall in love" with the Silent Era. A beautifully filmed doomed love story, full of saudade. Perhaps Dolores Del Río finest moment on screen.

"The Shining Hour" (1938). I don't agree with the critics here -how odd-. Every time I've watched this film I've enjoyed it thoroughly and I think that Misses Crawford's and Sullavan's contrasting acting talents are joy to watch together in one film. Fay Bainter is superb as the jealous sister.

"The Lost Moment" (1947). I'm not sure if this one's been really underrated or if t's been more properly overlooked , because I discovered it recently thanks to a Premium Cable TV Channel. An eerie, atmospheric film with a dazzling performance by Susan Hayward. A must-see.

"Girls' Dormitory" (1936). Another very fine little film about a young student's infatuation with an older teacher and the effect it has in their lives and that of the woman who loves him. Beautiful and senstive performances by Ruth Chatterton, Simone Simon et al. Fine European flavor and setting.

May I add two more?

"The Wedding Night" (1935). One of the most beautiful, adult and romantic films I have ever seen. Gary Cooper, Anna Sten and Helen Vinson shine in this wonderful, unfairly underrated masterpiece by Master Vidor.

"Girls about Town" (1931). One of the brightest and wittiest Pre-Codes I have ever seen with Lilyan Tashman at her very best! Full of zest!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 2nd, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Lesson I learned while trying to compile a list, do it quickly or someone beats you to it. That said, hat said, the repeat is worth repeating! While most of y'all concentrated on classic films, I went a bit more far of field to modern classics that deserve some love.

Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Franchot Tone, Erich Von Stroheim
The fate of Britian's campaign in Egypt hinges on a cat and mouse game played by Cpl. John Bramble (the lone Brit left behind during the British retreat) and Field Marshal Rommel. Rarely seen, great war film directed by Billy Wilder.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) Sam Peckinpah's first western after The Wild Bunch may actually be his most gentle film of all. Jason Robards plays Cable, a man betrayed and left for dead but who finds water in the desert and prospers. He falls in love with a goodhearted "gal" (it is Peckinpah after all) but can't forget the wrong done him and how it has to be avenged. Wonderful support from LQ Jones, Strother Martin, David Warner and a radiant Stella Stevens. When most people think of Sam, they think of every film but this one.

Night Moves (1975) Gene Hackman plays Harry Moseby, a private investigator who takes what looks like an easy missing persons case for a former Hollywood star. He's to find the star's missing stepdaughter and return her. Along the way, Harry gets mixed up in Hollywood politics and murder. Co-stars Jennifer Warren and Susan Clarke. Very under-rated film from the 1970s.

Cutter's Way (1981) Political thriller involving disabled Vietnam vet Alex Cutter (John Heard in what should have been a star-making turn), his disillusioned wife (the sublime Lisa Eichorn) and his best friend, womanizer Richard Bone who stumble on what could be a murder, could be a conspiracy or could not be. The performances are top-rate. Heard as Cutter the angry vet who left an eye, an arm and a leg in Southeast Vietnam is just amazing in an era before CGI and airbrushing. Lisa Eichorn will break your heart and Jeff Bridges, well he's Jeff Bridges, turning in another great performance. A victim of studio politics.

Matewan (1987) John Sayles look at the hard life of coal miners in West Virginia in the 1920s. Chris Cooper plays a union organizer trying to help the miners to have a better life. Based on a real life event the film also stars David Strathairn, Mary McDonnell and James Earl Jones.

Runners Up:

Sneakers (1992) Lighthearted but complex thriller about a misfit group of hackers who test security systems for safety. The group includes a 60s radical with outstanding warrants (Robert Redford), a blind man (David Straithairn), a young kid (River Phoenix) and Sidney Poitier, Mary McDonnell and Dan Ackroyd. They get caught up in trying to hack into a company owned by a former friend and colleague. Witty, intelligent script by Phil Alden Robinson following his success with Field of Dreams

October Sky (1999) Wonderful, nostalgic look back at the late 1950s when Sputnik went into orbit and its impact on a group of young boys in a coal mining town in West Virginia. The boys know that their lives are pre-ordained to go into the mines but they have a dream of meeting Werhner von Braun and becoming rocket engineers. Stars Jake Gyllenhaal as main dreamer Homer Hickam and Chris Cooper as his disapproving, union hating, coal miner father. Based on a true story. Wonderful, evocative slice of life film.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese