Help identify movie!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
otterhere

Help identify movie!

Post by otterhere »

Okay; help, folks. I thought it was called "Malibu"; a 1950s (maybe 40s) nature/animal film -- but not documentary -- in the style of "The Yearling." About a young woman living with her nature writer father in a cabin, possibly in Florida, who adopts an orphaned cougar cub and deer fawn. She vows that they will be friends, contrary to nature, and in the end each saves the others' life when they're adults from evil poachers. She has a romance with the forest ranger. Can't find this one anywhere!
klondike

Re: Help identify movie!

Post by klondike »

Could it be 1958's Wind Across the Everglades, featuring Burl Ives & Gypsy Rose Lee?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Otterhere!

It could well be "Sequoia" (1934) starring Jean Parker and Samuel S. Hinds, which is based upon a novel titled Malibu.
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

THAT'S IT (Sequoia)!!!! Thank you sooooooooooo much; I was being accused of having a very vivid imagination... :lol:
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Klondike... Bellows Falls... Vermont? St. Albans (originally) here...
feaito

Post by feaito »

otterhere wrote:THAT'S IT (Sequoia)!!!! Thank you sooooooooooo much; I was being accused of having a very vivid imagination... :lol:
Welcome Otterhere. I've always been intrigued by the title and plot of this film. I wonder if TCM has ever aired it...
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Yes, they did! I had it taped and, as always, managed to cut off either the vital beginning or the vital end, so am left scratching my head (it takes me months to get around to watching it)... Reviews on IMDb; a pretty amazing movie...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, otterhere, I saw Sequoia (1934-co-directed by Chester M. Franklin & Edwin L. Marin) on TCM last year and I didn't think they cut it off at the end or the beginning, but maybe I"m wrong.

It actually has a pretty tough-minded conclusion, and features some of the best nature photography in any movie I've ever seen in the sense that it blended something magical with a realistic feat that must have required endless patience by the filmmakers. Sweet story about a cougar and a deer without being too syrupy. I hope they show it again. The cinematography by Chester Lyons was just great.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

No; I'm saying whenever I tape a movie (still using the old VHS and VCR), I always manage to time it wrong and lose parts...

They showed it fairly recently, I think; maybe in March? Seems that when I would've taped it. Yeah; hard to watch in places.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

otterhere wrote:No; I'm saying whenever I tape a movie (still using the old VHS and VCR), I always manage to time it wrong and lose parts...

They showed it fairly recently, I think; maybe in March? Seems that when I would've taped it. Yeah; hard to watch in places.
D'uh. Silly me. Sorry. Hope they air it again, otter.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

otterhere wrote:Klondike... Bellows Falls... Vermont? St. Albans (originally) here...
Guilty as charged!
I do indeed reside in 'the Venice of Vermont' (site of the U.S.'s first canal); one my dearest friends grew up in St Albans, and always refers to it as Quebec's southernmost neighborhood!