A Womans Secret - The Great O' Malley

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ken123

A Womans Secret - The Great O' Malley

Post by ken123 »

Secret stars Maureen O 'Hara, Melvyn Douglass, and Gloria Grahame in a noir directed by Nicholas Ray. O " Malley starts Bogart, Ann Sheridan, and Pat O' Brien ( O' Malley ) Secret aiors @4"45 (EST ) & O' Malley @12"15am ( EST ) Tuesday morning. As I remember the Ray film is bad, but he has mant admirers on this site, and I haven't seen O' Malley in years.
ziggy 6708

Re: A Womans Secret - The Great O' Malley

Post by ziggy 6708 »

"Great O'Malley" was pretty good. Bogart seemed uncomfortable in the sympathatic father role and liked seeing O'Brian ruthless (at least in the beginning) for a change. Sybil Jason was a pretty talented child star, but like with Temple, a little of her can go a long way.
Thanks for mentioning it. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I missed The Great O'Malley, darn it, though Ziggy's description doesn't sound too promising, does it?

I liked the premise of A Woman's Secret but thought that the script needed about six months more work to develop the relationships between Maureen O'Hara, Gloria Grahame and Melvyn Douglas. There was a slightly unhealthy familial tension to their interactions so typical of Nicholas Ray's work, but he probably didn't have as much say on the script as he would later at that point. I liked Maureen's singing in this one, however brief. I also kept wondering if this movie was made before Gloria started down her royal road to ruin via the plastic surgeon's office.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My bride caught part of "A Woman's Secret" and saw where Gloria was singing. She thought she was quite good but I told her (without having seen it that it was most likely dubbed. Any ideas if true?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:My bride caught part of "A Woman's Secret" and saw where Gloria was singing. She thought she was quite good but I told her (without having seen it that it was most likely dubbed. Any ideas if true?
IMDb says that "Estrellita" was sung by Kaye Lorraine, not Gloria. I didn't think that Grahame's singing voice matched her slightly squeaky speaking voice at all. The same part of IMDb on the background on A Woman's Secret said that O'Hara did her own warbling. Maureen sounded the way she usually did when she sang elsewhere in her career.

And IMDb is never wrong, right? :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

The Great O'Malley was fun but inconsequential. It was a pretty blatant story but it was played out pretty well given the talent of the names involved.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Dawtrina! Where ya been, you've been MISSED!!!! Welcome back, and just in time for Thanksgiving.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

moirafinnie wrote: IMDb says that "Estrellita" was sung by Kaye Lorraine, not Gloria. I didn't think that Grahame's singing voice matched her slightly squeaky speaking voice at all. The same part of IMDb on the background on A Woman's Secret said that O'Hara did her own warbling. Maureen sounded the way she usually did when she sang elsewhere in her career.

Thank you Moira.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

moirafinnie wrote:Maureen sounded the way she usually did when she sang elsewhere in her career.

What ??? I feel that I should be upset by that remark ! :wink: