John Payne Alert

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: John Payne Alert

Post by MissGoddess »

I was just thinking that Payne is a good noir protagonist because he's a normal guy...yet tough enough to get down and dirty. When I say normal guy, I mean he's not larger-than-life or has such an intense presence (like Mitchum or Robert Ryan) that he'd draw trouble to him naturally...he's more like the average kind of fellow (like Van Heflin maybe) who may make mistakes or end up innocently tripped up in a dangerous situation. He's innately decent, but kind of cautious enough to not seem like a total chump. And to repeat, tough enough that you can count on a good fight at some point (unlike with Van Heflin).

It helps that Payne can act, too. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Well, Miss G., if I have the authority, I will award you the SSO GOLDEN HAMMER AWARD for hitting the nail on the head with your last post. :P

And Chris, I never want to dismiss that sweet Mr. Gailey. What a wonderful fella. He is so handsome, so professional, but with just enough disdain to make his challenge to accepted authority endearing and admirable. He is kind to a divorced woman with a young child, he helps a confused, elderly man with "possible" delusions, he can carry a heavy briefcase while walking through a courthouse but still best an evil corporate "psychologist" with an eyebrow fetish, and he even looks good in an apron!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Oh no. I am not dismissing Mr. Gailey. My only thought is that is the only John Payne many people know. There is much more to him than just "Miracle..." He is a light hearted nice man but oh, the darker side is not far away.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Payne's performance as Fred Gailey is quite wonderful and IMHO underappreciated (although not by the people in this thread!). He absolutely holds his own against the formidable trio of Maureen O'Hara, Edmund Gwenn and scene (and heart) stealer Natalie Wood, plus an entire sleighful of colorful character actors in supporting roles. Without a very strong Fred -- the person who believes when commonsense tells everyone not to -- as the calm center of this fantastical storyline, the movie wouldn't be anywhere near as good as it is. Payne is a warm, believable and strong presence, and he can carry off wearing an apron without any loss to his masculinity. ;) He may be an "average" guy but he's never a dull one.

My husband in general does not like vintage movies but he loves Miracle on 34th Street and every Christmas insists on watching it. ;) Not that he gets any argument from me, of course.

P.S. Avoid the godawful 1994 remake at all costs.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Another SSO GOLDEN HAMMER award!

Paula, I completely agree with your "calm center of the fantastical storyline" comment.

And, yes, I've avoided the remake for 17 YEARS!!! :lol:

Chris, you are a HAMMER winner, too! There is so much more to John Payne than Miracle on 34th street.

I also really enjoyed seeing him squirm around trying to snag Maureen in Shores of Tripoli! She is such a prig in that one! :roll:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Christy. I've never been "Hammered" before.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Not even in college???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No college. One year of radio school and that all ended after one summer in Dover, DE. Never found anything I liked. I'm a Pepsi guy.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I won't tell you about chocolate martinis made with Godiva Liqueur....only "hammered" once in my life, and that's the drink 'what did me in'....and I wasn't in college,either...I was old enough to KNOW better... :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:
klondike

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote: . . but he loves Miracle on 34th Street . .
P.S. Avoid the godawful 1994 remake at all costs.
The same can be said, in spades, for the 90's remake of Christmas in Connecticut!
Granted, I already knew it couldn't hold even half a candle to the original (a perfect example of Hollywood immortality, shot on a shoestring), but I did feel compelled to look . . just a little bit . .
Kris, Dyan, just how overdue were your mortgages ?!!
:roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

OH my goodness, my honey Brad Dexter didn't age too well...he looks familiar here, pictured as an older man. It's driving me crazy who he reminds me of. One of those old guys that always played a crooked businessman or politician.

-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Btw, if you want to continue to like Brad Dexter, don't ever read "Fever: The Life and Music of Miss Peggy Lee" by Peter Richmond. Dewey Martin, another of Peggy Lee's castoffs, didn't come across too well in this book either. Makes me wonder if Peggy might have had an issue picking hubbies. It was hard work being married to a musical legend in her own time.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingrat wrote:MissG, I think he looks like Charles Durning in that picture. Durning was always good in the sleazy businessman or politician roles.

That is EXACTLY who I was thinking of! Thank you, kingrat!
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Btw, if you want to continue to like Brad Dexter, don't ever read "Fever: The Life and Music of Miss Peggy Lee" by Peter Richmond. Dewey Martin, another of Peggy Lee's castoffs, didn't come across too well in this book either. Makes me wonder if Peggy might have had an issue picking hubbies. It was hard work being married to a musical legend in her own time.

I am not a bit surprised. Dexter looks like a bad boy.
-- Will Rogers